Echo CS 501P first impression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a CS 501P and put the first two tanks of gas through it. I LOVE this little saw. It is light, powerful, and cuts great. The balance feels good with the 18 inch bar and I really like the ergonomics?
I sucked up a piece of baling twine while sawing and really appreciated the captured bar nuts and outboard sprocket. About three minutes and had it cleared. The five year warranty is also a plus. About a 1/2 pound less than a 550xp and only a little less power. Also has a conventional carb, which I prefer over auto-tune for longevity.
Bottom line.....Very satisfied.

I realy love the new Echo saws.
I used a lot of saws and brands, and since the latest Echo models came out and ran with it, I don't want anything else anymore.

They are well build, well studied, great feeling and the engines are amazing.
Loads of torque and power compared with similar displacement engines. (latest pro models has longer stroke engines who delivers more torque)

Echo sticks to sure values and quality manufactured engines, where some other brands bet on new technologies for marketing purposes...

Don't know if the 501P is the same as the 501SX here in europe?
Otherwise here are some pics of the 501SX

View attachment 556557 View attachment 556558 View attachment 556559 View attachment 556560 View attachment 556561

If interests I also just got a brand new CS620SX

Congratulation on the purchase. I am stopping to the Echo dealership tomorrow to couple of spare parts and I'll keep an eye out if they have one.

Regarding the differences... the US-bound CS501P has a different, seemingly cheaper, bar and obviously a different carburetor due to different emission requirements. There may be some engine differences as well due to leaner fueling, but that I am not sure of.
The saw is also sold as Shindaiwa 501SX: €30 more to have it in red. ;)

Love to hear more feedback on the CS-501P. I love my CS-490 but the allure of the 501P is killing me here...

Apparently the 501P has about 17% more power than the 490 and weighs a hair less too.

I may grab one the next time Echo has a sale.

Pictures, and feedback on the 501P appreciated :)

Checked with a local dealer today and they will be having a ‘one day sale’ coming up this Spring. She didn’t have a date for me yet but swore she would give me a heads up before the sale. 20% off the 501P, which takes it down to $500 Cdn.

That is a worthwhile price for a decent 50cc saw

The current Stihl 261’s were on sale for a while last fall for 650.00 cad. A good price for that saw, but..I’d rather not have mtronic, myself..

Don’t overlook the Makita 4300. About 410.00 on sale right now at KMS Tools. It’s a great little saw. You should at least look at one somewhere, imo.

KMS Tools has a store in Burnaby?? Or somewhere out there

I just bought a CS 501P and put the first two tanks of gas through it. I LOVE this little saw. It is light, powerful, and cuts great. The balance feels good with the 18 inch bar and I really like the ergonomics?
I sucked up a piece of baling twine while sawing and really appreciated the captured bar nuts and outboard sprocket. About three minutes and had it cleared. The five year warranty is also a plus. About a 1/2 pound less than a 550xp and only a little less power. Also has a conventional carb, which I prefer over auto-tune for longevity.
Bottom line.....Very satisfied.

Congrats with youre new Saw, but please tune the carb or have it tuned by someone who knows hos to do it, Echo saws are Very often tuned WAY to lean from the factory. To be safe, tune it so it 4 strokes Out of the cut and 2 strokes in the cut.

run it with Echo's own 2 stroke oil with no more Than 30 days old pump fuel

keep the chain Sharp and adjust the rakers between every 3-4 sharpenings

Clean the Saw and airfilter on a dayli
basis

and you Will Enjoy MANY years of effective and problem free cutting.

Enjoy

That is a worthwhile price for a decent 50cc saw

The current Stihl 261’s were on sale for a while last fall for 650.00 cad. A good price for that saw, but..I’d rather not have mtronic, myself..

Don’t overlook the Makita 4300. About 410.00 on sale right now at KMS Tools. It’s a great little saw. You should at least look at one somewhere, imo.

KMS Tools has a store in Burnaby?? Or somewhere out there

Interesting you would mention the Makita 4300. That was the saw I was initially going to grab on Amazon.ca for $419 delivered. The thing that made me go with the 490 was likely cause the Echo shop gave me $200 for a 310 I had, so I only had to kick in another $200 for the 490. That Makita does look sweet :) Just checked Amazon.ca and they have one for $415 free shipping now...

Almost pulled the trigger on the Makita 4300 today, but I kept coming back to thinking that I really like the size and weight of the Echo 50 cc saw. Gonna hold off for the CS-501P. I like Echo saws and if it’s even better than my 490 then it is gold. :)

As solid a saw as the Dolkita 421/4300 is, I'd take a 501P over it any day.
The 421 is a tad heavy for 42cc, and a little chunky with the giant starter. Still a very nice saw.

I got the 490. And although I haven't held a 501P, I would assume it is a little slimmer with not having the ez start. And the aluminum handlebar is icing on the cake.
Only thing that's noticeably cheesy about the 490 is the kind of loose and flimsy chain brake thing.
I don't mind the dinky choke at all. You only use it for starting.
But I got my 490 at a wholesale price. And although the higher power would be nice, I just can't convince myself to spend the extra cash.
Maybe I'll just buy a aluminum handle here, and the slimmer starter there. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the 490.

somehow that 420 just fits me. The 420 is slightly lighter than the 4300 and it becomes very ergonomic when you run it, bulk and weight notwithstanding.

I have merely held a 490, and it seems to fit me too

but it just doesn't "seem" to be the same quality of a piece as the Dolmar. I felt the same way about my cs590, but it grew on me. I did get the 590 reasonable tho, and I wouldn't have paid more at the time. I would pay a little more now. A little.

Echo's upcharge from the 490 and 590 to their equivalent "pro" models is a little too steep for the "upgraded" features, IMO.

It is all about the price,590-620 price difference is small considering the upgrades and imo the 620 is well worth the money.490-501 price difference is huge(for me at least) and it is not worth for someone to bother,get the 490 and you won't miss a thing.

Latest posts

Back