Echo CS 501P vs Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, there's a fantasy land somewhere where Echo is in the hands of professionals. At least echo themselves are realistic.

In over 35 years of working with hundreds (yes, hundreds) of sawhands I never saw an echo. Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, an occasional Dolmar. In that order.

I have a 590. It's a "farm saw", and the first one I would sell. Even before my china saws. 😱

That being said, I might like a 501p. It feels good in the hands. Light and nimble I think. I've only held one. Haven't run one.
I've never seen a Echo on a logging site. Never seen a Jonsered either, but the local dealer sold a fair amount. In this era I am talking about they were red Huskys.

To all, my beef on this thread was with walker not "defending Echo". However I think Echo makes solid equipment.... but not for the Pro IMO. But myself I am not a Pro wood cutter but I prefer Pro grade equipment.

I'm out right now scouting firewood and looking for elk sheds. High 70's and not a cloud in the sky.
Yup I lived in Livingston for 5 years in early 1990's and was in and out of Montana for several years before that. Montana is a special place.

Only 2 Echo saws I've seen on pro jobsites are the 2511 and 620, even then they're few and far between. The top handle of choice around here is a 194, and I've seen a shocking large number of 271s for ground saws, FWIW there's far more Stihl dealers around here than Echo so that's probably why

I can make a 194 cut like a 201, they aren't bad for the price, if you get a year or 2 out of them killing trees you got your money's worth.

the 2511 was a big hit for a little while with a few guys I know and then the novelty wore off and reality set in, they have nothing over a 151 and aren't as durable...actually.. a 151 has more power...ya..I know..the 151 is more expensive...it's pennies when you kill trees for a living.

but you know how it is..things like YouTube blow things so far out of proportion it's kinda amusing..

And then you have people who really have no idea what they're talking about or very little experience throwing their opinions around..

I can make a 194 cut like a 201, they aren't bad for the price, if you get a year or 2 out of them killing trees you got your money's worth.

the 2511 was a big hit for a little while with a few guys I know and then the novelty wore off and reality set in, they have nothing over a 151 and aren't as durable...actually.. a 151 has more power...ya..I know..the 151 is more expensive...it's pennies when you kill trees for a living.

but you know how it is..things like YouTube blow things so far out of proportion it's kinda amusing..

And then you have people who really have no idea what they're talking about or very little experience throwing their opinions around..
Yeah the cost is probably the main reason why 194s are so popular, 201s are rare around here and I’ve never seen a pro crew with a 151, I had one for a while but I sent it packing, something I regret. I've only a few minutes on a stock 2511, didn't really like it IMO. I've heard they're good when ported but I've never ran a ported 2511 so I wouldn't know

For my use, mostly firewood with the some tree removals for friends here and there, cost and value is my biggest concern. It’s why my main saw is a modified 590 Echo. It’s not as fast or light as a 400 or 562, but it does a decent job handling a 24" bar with RS chain, I can run it all day, and it's never given me trouble in the hard 2 years I've put on it. That's good enough for me

I have an Echo dealer near me. They don't stock Echo saws. They also sell Redmax and they did stock them.
A dealer doesn't stock it's own saws? I'm not talking about a giant inventory but at least one of the more popular sizes on hand seems reasonable. I wouldn't buy something I couldn't pick up and hold first. Seems a strange business model. I'd go to the Home Depot which does stock Echo and buy from them. Use the dealer for any warranty work.

I've not looked, in person, at a RedMax but I've read that they are actually rebadged Jonsered. Pictures sure look close. Did they seem like that to you and do you know if parts interchange?

A dealer doesn't stock it's own saws? I'm not talking about a giant inventory but at least one of the more popular sizes on hand seems reasonable. I wouldn't buy something I couldn't pick up and hold first. Seems a strange business model. I'd go to the Home Depot which does stock Echo and buy from them. Use the dealer for any warranty work.

I've not looked, in person, at a RedMax but I've read that they are actually rebadged Jonsered. Pictures sure look close. Did they seem like that to you and do you know if parts interchange?
Echo is primarily a lawn care brand and saws are an after thought. Redmax is the same way.
Redmax were rebadged Huskys, just like Jonsered. Redmax did make their own stuff in the recent past. Moot now as redmax and jonsered are gone.
I've never seen an Echo at a HD either. Must be a regional thing.

Echo is primarily a lawn care brand and saws are an after thought. Redmax is the same way.
Redmax were rebadged Huskys, just like Jonsered. Redmax did make their own stuff in the recent past. Moot now as redmax and jonsered are gone.
I've never seen an Echo at a HD either. Must be a regional thing.
RedMax is no more? Saws are coming down to Stihl, Husky, a stray Echo or Makita Dolmar and Chinese clones.

RedMax is no more? Saws are coming down to Stihl, Husky, a stray Echo or Makita Dolmar and Chinese clones.
Dolmar is gone too. Redmax announced they were getting out of the say business along time ago. Like 5 or more years back?
And let's be honest there was really only Husky and Stihl as widely available brands. Redmax, Dolmar, Echo are really small peanuts and probably why Resmax and Dolmar are no longer sold here.

I know. Makita actually made a decent saw like Hitachi for a bit but why fight the market when you can buy a company like Dolmar and get that instant cred? I think they did a good move with that.
I'm not sure it was a good move at all. It could have been.
But what actually transpired was they bought a two bit OEM, didn't develop it at all and then shut down production. Maybe I am not grasping the whole thing are am incorrect in my understanding, but I can’t make a good business case for that.

Dolmar is gone too. Redmax announced they were getting out of the say business along time ago. Like 5 or more years back?
And let's be honest there was really only Husky and Stihl as widely available brands. Redmax, Dolmar, Echo are really small peanuts and probably why Resmax and Dolmar are no longer sold here.
Redmax was only really the name for zenoah in the states, I'm surprised the name lasted this long since husqy bought out zenoah back in the 2000's.

Redmax was only really the name for zenoah in the states, I'm surprised the name lasted this long since husqy bought out zenoah back in the 2000's.
Yes, and Komatsu was the parent company, so they had deep pockets to market them, but never did.
They make excellent stuff and even built a trimmer for Stihl years ago.

And Echo keeps chugging along....picking up speed.....they have been here long time, I think they are here to stay. If I worked in the woods I probably would not be useing Echo but I think their story is interesting. :cheers:

View attachment 1172568
Somewhere outside North America a pro is using one of these. Probably has arms the size of Popeye!
Folks using them here in US too. Guy I know has one. Several others in my CR group too.

Just have the member here ship you one.

To me it's like the 090 deal. I rather have a 84 88 3120 etc.

e1201fss.jpge1201p.jpeg

Then you need to adjust your setting on oiler. They are adjustable.

Right in the owners manual. You know that thing we dont read.

AUTOMATIC OILER• The discharge volume of the automatic oiler is adjusted to 7 mL/min approximately at 7000 r/min, prior to shipment from factory. - To increase the delivery volume, turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise. When the screw touches stopper and stops, this position indicates maximum discharge volume. (16.5 mL/min at 7000 r/min)- Do not turn the adjusting screw beyond the maximum or minimum limit of volume adjustment.

View attachment 1166717
I just run them all wide open. Yes, you can easily damage them if you turn the screw too far. The stop is a tiny roll pin than can shear off, then you have to gestimate where "open' and "closed" are.

And Echo keeps chugging along....picking up speed.....they have been here long time, I think they are here to stay. If I worked in the woods I probably would not be useing Echo but I think their story is interesting. :cheers:
Been around since at least the 70's. I dont know about picking up speed.
In fact I could see them discontinuing their chainsaw line completely like Redmax, a direct competitor of theirs did.

Latest posts

Back