Echo- Cs-530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I've never ran those two saws with a stopwatch. Both currently have .325 chains with 18" bars on them. I opened up the muffler on the 510 and Husky 55. The power of both saws is very close, with the Husky making more power in the upper rpm's, and liking to run there. The Echo engine doesn't rev up as much in the cut, and "grunts" better than the 55. I can tell you for certain the engine rpms drop off more with the Echo saw when cutting big logs, which we seldom do with either of those saws. They spend most of their time in wood no more than about 10-12" diameter. If I start working on the trunk of the tree, or big limbs, I'll grab the 262XP with the 18" bar. It will save you a lesson in humility, cutting WAY faster than either the 510 or 55.

I don't like to spend all of my free time cutting firewood, but still enjoy the experience. I load up no less than 4 saws for any outing, with sharp chains and full tanks of fuel. I start out with the CS-360T, then quickly move on to the larger saws for bigger limbs/logs. The instant a chain gets dull or starts cutting slower, or a saw runs out of fuel, I grab another one and keep going. Since we cut mostly tops, the CS-510 and Husky 55 get the most use, not to mention I'm getting old enough to enjoy running light/fast saws more these days!

I can't fault any of my Echo chainsaws in any area. I would mention that the chains they show up with are JUNK, and without exception all of them have been set too lean for my liking. I'm sure the safety chains they put on those saws are to help keep novice homeowners out of trouble, and the lean settings to please the EPA. Both items no doubt would cause them some customer complaints, and they probably get back a few saws with cooked P/C's under warrantee?

My contact at Echo is very knowledgable, and admitted that being EPA friendly is at the top of the priority list for that company, and that they factor in a certain amount of engine failures based on their equipment putting out the fewest possible pollutants. Anyone who works on these small engines knows full well that the fuel blends and air quality varies considerably across the entire country. It would be impossible to set up a saw to cover the entire spectrum, custom tuning is nearly manditory with any of this equipment........Cliff

I'm trying & hoping to get some advice on a CS-440, but my thread here died from neglect :mad:.

Chris
Didn't see a tread about a CS440. I bought a new one off Ebay for $200, had to adjust the carb like usual and grind ther safety off the safety chain, now it's got good chain. It's my favorite saw around the mill cutting boards to lenght and logs to length sometimes. I muffler modded it a little which really helped. Other than the it's light, well built with quite a bit of metal, runs like a top and it will start first pull without choking even after sitting for a while. Best bang for the buck for that size if you can find one that cheap, not if you have to pay full price. Steve

Mountainlake, thanks. I don't usually hijack threads, but I'll ask here...

Echo CS-440 questions:

What is the best way to remove the limiters on the carb? From what I can see they're built into the carb, with no easy way to remove them. Do they need to be re-installed once the saw is tuned?

I'm needing to remove the jug to replace the piston & possibly the jug. On my other saws, mostly Jonsereds, the lower end seems to be attached solidly, & I have no qualms about using a rubber mallet to tap the jug free. On the 440 the entire engine assembly seems wiggly, if that makes sense.

TIA!

Chris

EDIT: My CS-440 was a Craigslist buy, $40.00. Badly scored piston & rings on the exhaust side, chainbrake band nearly worn in half in a couple of places, sprocket pretty well chewed up.

Last edited:
I take a drywall screw and thread it into the center hole a little then turn counterclockwise untill the tab is lined up with the slot then pull, being carefull not to unscrew it from the cap when turnibg backwards. Just grind the tab off on a bench grinder or cut off and put back in. The jug comes off with 4 bolts from the top a should slide right off unless the piston is siezed solid. Maybe someone will chime in for a stuck piston. Steve

The jug is unbolted, & the piston moves freely. I was concerned about tapping on the jug because the engine seems shaky compared to what I'm used to. I'm probably being overly cautious.

Thanks for the advice on the limter caps.

Another ?--Will a 4400 piston kit work on this saw, or do I need one specifically for the 440? I ask because kits for the 4400 seem to be readily available, but I haven't found one for the 440. Is there a larger P&C that would work without any alterations? I'm no mechtech, & I'm working with pretty basic tools.

I don't know what fits what, I think the CS4400 is a cc or two smaller and the Cs510 is quite a bit different. Where did you find a 4400 cylinder and piston, how much? Where's Red when you need him

I've only found the piston kit for the 4400, not the P&C. Bailey's has a 4400 kit listed on their website for around 50.00-60.00, at that price I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket.

Are 440 piston kits still available? The piston in mine is burnt toast.

Hi Guys,
The Echo cs-440 piston kit is part number Echo P021006551 from parts tree for $53.50. Looks like it comes with the rings, pin, clips and the bearing. PT is generally high which means you should be able to get this part locally for $40-45.

Best wishes,
Bob

Hi Guys,
The Echo cs-440 piston kit is part number Echo P021006551 from parts tree for $53.50. Looks like it comes with the rings, pin, clips and the bearing. PT is generally high which means you should be able to get this part locally for $40-45.

Best wishes,
Bob

Thanks for the info :clap:! I couldn't find the 440 piston kit on-line, even with the part #, guess I'm losing it :dizzy:.

I have an Echo cs530. I have had the saw for a couple of months. It runs a long time on a tank of gas, is easy to start, and cuts well. It does seem to vibrate more than my Husky 350. I ordered some new chain from it woodsman pro from bailey's round chizzle. I believe it came with a 18" bar 72 drive links at .325 guage. David

Echo equips most of their saws with safety chains, they aren't smooth and cut poorly. The first thing we do is put real chains on them, then remove the limiter caps from the carburetor and give them some additional fuel at all levels.

Our 510's are excellent saws, plenty of power, and use the least amount of fuel per cord of wood cut than anything else in our line-up. They have also been dead solid reliable, and they get used quite a bit....Cliff

I am just currious on the 530! I quess I will have to get one and use it to find out! I had a customer bring in a like new 520 and after setting up the carb on that saw it really reminded me of a ms260! If the 530 has got a little more speed to her it should make a good saw to take a look at for those of use who like something a little diffrent!

David How much run time do you have on it? Also how does it cut compared to the 350?

The Echo has a safety chain and an 18" bar.

The Husky has a 16" bar and a round chisel chain.

I have only ran 4 tanks of gas through the Echo.

I ordered four loops of chisel chain for the Echo.

The Echo cut well with the safety chain it seemed to bog down more than the husky.

I have had the Husky for 5 years so it is well broken in.

The Echo is not broken in yet it appears to be of good quality well made. To me it seems to vibrate more I will find out how it works after I install the chisel chain on it this week. David

The Echo has a safety chain and an 18" bar.

The Husky has a 16" bar and a round chisel chain.

I have only ran 4 tanks of gas through the Echo.

I ordered four loops of chisel chain for the Echo.

The Echo cut well with the safety chain it seemed to bog down more than the husky.

I have had the Husky for 5 years so it is well broken in.

The Echo is not broken in yet it appears to be of good quality well made. To me it seems to vibrate more I will find out how it works after I install the chisel chain on it this week. David

You need to pull the caps off and give it a little more fuel on the high, set to lean like most are, they bog easy and might burn up on you if you run them long and hard. Steve

Latest posts

Back