Echo Cs 590 Base gasket removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the squish is safe to do a base gasket removal on a Cs 590? I read somewhere the squish is .039 with the gasket

Mine was .038 before and is .028 as of now with now gasket. Use soldering wire to check squish between piston and squish ring. You will most likely have to use two pieces twisted together as the squish is ridiculously huge on these saws.
Pull the spark plug and insert said solder wire in with a 90* bend in it. Check intake side exhaust side and both pin sides. In other words every 90*.

It will vary a little front to back as the piston my rock on the pin.

I ended up doing it anyway, and tested the compression before and after, my gauge is a pretty crappy one, for reference a 394xp with 165lb on a good guage got 135 on this one. The Echo had 110 before gasket removed and after it had 120 which would be around 155 on good gauge. Seems to cut quite a lot stronger, along with the muffler mod I did. Compression seems low on these.

I ended up doing it anyway, and tested the compression before and after, my gauge is a pretty crappy one, for reference a 394xp with 165lb on a good guage got 135 on this one. The Echo had 110 before gasket removed and after it had 120 which would be around 155 on good gauge. Seems to cut quite a lot stronger, along with the muffler mod I did. Compression seems low on these.

If its brand spanking new the ring is not seated hence the lower than expected compression. What is your elevation ? There is a 3% +/- loss for every thousand feet in elevation. Mine blows 150 at 5k ASL. so 172 ish would be a good guess at sea level.
Elevation is a ***** :mad:

Elevation is 151feet here and yeah it's brand spanking new, while it was apart I noticed the piston had a slight scratch, but it was below the ring so it didn't seem to affect how it ran, I was suprised to see quad closed transfer ports. If Echo raised the factory compression to 180psi and the muffler was not as restricted it would be a real good runner.

Yeah I did a mild one I guess you can say, I bypassed that tube in the muffler by drilling two holes

We need an update from both of you!!!

I'm such a slacker:dumb: I haven't even cut anything with it since the squish mod :(
It's tuned fat right now so I could piss rev it safely. I'm guessing compression is around 170 ish PSI at my altitude so it's pushing 200 real hard ASL. I'll get a good Guage on it take a pic and cut through that big ass piece of elm I have and post it in the most feared thread on AS. Hopefully this weekend

Pretty low considering a new 590 has 170

Pretty low considering a new 590 has 170
Not really. A brand new 590 I have had .043 squish when I started on it and compression @ 4.4K elevation was reading between 120 and 130. I tried three different compression gauges on it and all read close to the same. I kept in mind the rings had not seated yet and a huge squish plus elevation where causing low numbers for me.
Even my 372 builds, stock 036 and stock Homelites all read low compared to what others are getting at lower elevations. @ 4% loss per 1K elevation (factor numbers I learned in De-rating for gas) I was getting 125psi at 4.4K elevation then at sea level should place me at 150psi+ on new rings and large squish. I have since removed the gasket and cut the base to .022 squish and wanting to run some tanks through it before I even bother with a compression reading, however just pulling it over by hand tells me it's gained a fair amount. But I'm also considering getting a LRB pop up and putting that into it as well.

Not really. A brand new 590 I have had .043 squish when I started on it and compression @ 4.4K elevation was reading between 120 and 130. I tried three different compression gauges on it and all read close to the same. I kept in mind the rings had not seated yet and a huge squish plus elevation where causing low numbers for me.
Even my 372 builds, stock 036 and stock Homelites all read low compared to what others are getting at lower elevations. @ 4% loss per 1K elevation (factor numbers I learned in De-rating for gas) I was getting 125psi at 4.4K elevation then at sea level should place me at 150psi+ on new rings and large squish. I have since removed the gasket and cut the base to .022 squish and wanting to run some tanks through it before I even bother with a compression reading, however just pulling it over by hand tells me it's gained a fair amount. But I'm also considering getting a LRB pop up and putting that into it as well.
I gotcha. I forgot about the elevation difference
I'm at 1316ft and after break-in hit almost 174psi

@BB: how did you go about shaving that extra .018" off the jug?

And for the group, what gasket material did you use to replace the OEM?

With winter coming, I'd like to tear my 590 down and do the base gasket, 620 carb and coil, and possibly advance the timing if I can find a good tutorial.

Back