Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

Reaction score
Was just wondering everyone's opinion of the Echo CS-590...own a tree service and was wondering if the saw is worth my time

well I have only ran a couple 590s but they seem to run quite lean. the 2 I have worked on I had to richen the carb up because it was to lean out of the box. The biggest problem with all echo saws not just the 590 is the parts you cant buy many parts for them without going to the dealer there is not much for aftermarket at all like stihls and huskys. I like to stay a model series or two behind the crowd that way you are not paying so much for parts and there is plenty of good parts yet. stick to stihl or husky that's my opinion

I think it's an excellent performing saw for its cost and size. I'm sure I'll get FLAMED by others who are more into more expensive and less performing saws.

Yes they have a plastic handle which can be replaced by one from a 600. I've ported two of these and they really perform like a much larger saw. The first one ran a 28" bar and skip chain with no problem. The second saw is running a 24 with chisel chain and working everyday in a tree service and doing well. One of the favorites with the crew because of its light weight and power.

Never been a big Echo fan but this saw changed that. Very good piston and cylinder finish....very good!

Thanks for all the replys...we run mainly stihls....020Ts 036 044 056 we still even have our original 090.. (1968...or so) we have used johnsred, Poulan pros, dolmars, husky and we also have 2 68 cc echos was just curious of the durability and I live 30 min from echos hq....my stihl dealer happens to be an echo dealer also

there are a couple of logging crews running them locally. it is the only farm and ranch saw i know of that anybody is testing out in a logging these days . they fell with machines mostly--but saws are still used --just not like they were back in the day.

eaons ago we tried the husky "rancher" for a set saw-- they ran good for like two weeks then epic fail. they just plain couldn't take it--

so far the crew is still running the 590s and they have had them three months-- except for one that got crushed by accident.

i suspect with a good carb tune and a real bar and chain --it is the best $399 saw out there.

mine has the stock timber wolf bar and chain-- the chain is a turd-- the bar --kinda cheap -- no mods on mine except for the dealer tune on the carb . is seems stout even from running 372s and 440s -- somebody that has been running box store saws it is going to be a big step up.

it is way stouter than my old 290 super -- and i like it a lot better. the big question is if it will hold up-- i suspect so-- but it has not been around long enough to be sure--

they have a really good retail warranty . i think they go a year or so on the commercial use-- generally if a saw holds up for a year logging-- its a good saw.

the timber wolf is just a de-tuned 600p with a cheap bar and chain , a cheap sprocket, a plastic handlebar and a rpm limited coil. i think the carb has fixed jets--otherwise it is the same HDA as the 600p

the saw has "some" compatibility with the 620P -- i'll be looking into that later--

so it is sort of a trade off , they had to ax some of the pro stuff to keep the costs down -- if i was going to do 'pro" work i would pay the extra $200 and get the 620p

for what i'm doing today-- mostly hacking storm damage firewood a 590 and a good chain looks more than enough.

a thing to consider is the dealer-- cause your gonna want a carb tune up , mine was lean out of the box--- if you got a good dealer that knows how to set one up --then your going to town--

Cut a couple cords with my 590 and 390 this week. I liked the 590 well enough to sell the 390 to the friend helping me cut wood. Took me 6 months to find a new 590 under $350 but I am glad I bought it...nice saw. The comment above about parts is correct....not nearly as available as Stihl and Husky. Older Echo parts are hard to find as well.

the timber wolf is just a de-tuned 600p with a cheap bar and chain , a cheap sprocket, a plastic handlebar and a rpm limited coil. i think the carb has fixed jets--otherwise it is the same HDA as the 600p
Just a general comment. If it had fixed jets it would not be possible to adjust the carb! Fixed jets are usually only on small homeowner saws = Stihl 170/180, etc.

My 590 definitely doesn't have fixed jets.

Limited coil yes. I think the 600p also has a limited coil but the 620p is unlimited. Cab anyone confirm that?

I have a 590 with a July 2014 build date that has an adjustable carb (once the limiter cap & the plate around it are removed), no cat muffler.

If You have time I suggest messing with the muffler a bit on the 590. It is worthwhile even with stock bar.

My use is for firewood and some light removal of fallen trees. I bought the 590 as I ran into a hundred feet of 22" oak that my 45cc saw was taking forever in. I was done in 2 hours when I got back to the site. The saw is a beast. Don't dare run that full chisel into the ground however, you will be filing the begeezus out of it!

You are most certainly going to want to remove those caps and give it some gas, or at least the ability to do so because inevitably you will want to. I have been running 40-1 stihl conventional for the first ten or so tanks of break in - no real smoke to speak of and I have it running rich. I did a hefty muffler mod, gutting it basically, and it is very smooth - but loud.

Just a general comment. If it had fixed jets it would not be possible to adjust the carb! Fixed jets are usually only on small homeowner saws = Stihl 170/180, etc.

Many saws, even some of Stihls pro series saws came from the factory with fixed high speed jets but adjustable low speed jets. I have both an 026 and 260 equiped that way.

Latest posts

Back