Echo CS-590 Timberwolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been a while since I've seen a lot of threads on these saws so thought I'd put my experiences with them up here, might make for good reading or you can print it for toilette paper!

Seriously, I purchased one off Ebay for a little over $300 delivered. Removed the limiter caps, opened up the deflector on the muffler and put a little RTV around the filter base to keep the dust out of. Stone stock otherwise.

After putting a LOT of hours on this saw I figured it was time to talk good about it in public Forum. These are just really nice saws, anti-vibe is excellent, inboard clutch, doesn't oil the bar unless the chain is moving, compression release, starts every single time cold on less than 4 pulls, 1 pull when hot (never heat soaks/vapor locks either) very easy on fuel, and great power for the cc's. I've ran bars on it to 30" as Husqvarna large mount bars fit the saw well enough.

It's very happy with the 20" bar that it came with, even though it's the "lower" end laminated bar it's still fine and I'm on my 3rd or 4th chain on it. It actually does fine with a 24" bar, and not all that bad with a 30" set-up with skip-tooth chain. On purpose I've made it my "go-to" saw, leaving the 600P and 620PW in the truck for most outings. The CS-590 is a get-er-done-er for sure, never grumbles at all, and dead solid reliable in long term service.

I picked up one about the same time I did mine and set it up for a good friend of mine who does this on a commercial basis. He used the 590 for his ground crew and if they can't kill it, it's got to be pretty tough!

About the only negative I could remotely come up with is weight, it's not a super-light weight by modern standards, but the purchase price, power and dead solid reliability will make you notice that deal a lot less.

I added a few pics below to outline the modifications needed for the mixture screws. This is not optional, IMHO, we've seen number of these saw with smoked P/C's from being too lean right out of the box, and every single one I've obtained so far needed some fuel everyplace to be happy..........Cliff
IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG

These saws are, simple well built and dead reliable. I see no reason to spend more money on something more expensive, more complex and likely less reliable, like the 562xp or even the ms362. Echo is killing the Chinese plastic wonder saws Husqvarna and Stihl are pumping out in this segment of the market. Only negative in this lineup of saws, is the fact they're a little heavy and large for the displacement.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I agree Cliff, awesome saw for the money after mods. Only complaint is on my muffler mods the exhaust leaves the exhaust port and pretty much straight out the muffler, LOUD! But they are great cutters.
IMG_20171025_081933.jpgIf you want flow without the stupid amount of noise open the baffle inside and pull the 90 out of the deflector. There's a 50% improvement in flow just doing the deflector the muff its self is not that choked up.

View attachment 616827If you want flow without the stupid amount of noise open the baffle inside and pull the 90 out of the deflector. There's a 50% improvement in flow just doing the deflector the muff its self is not that choked up.
That 90 in the deflector is a a flow killer!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

What is your opinion on the 620 Cliff? I've been considering one.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The CS-620PW is a really nice saw. It sports additional "professional" features like the metal wrap handle, removable chain sprocket, extra bumper spike, and different P/C, bigger carb, unlimited coil, etc. I believe it's "rated" about 15 percent stronger than the CS-590/600P, but I can't really tell that much difference in them.

For sure it's no slouch, but outfitted with a 20" bar in tops left over from logging operations and such like we cut I have to look down at it to make sure it's not my CS-590 or 600P, can't really tell any big difference.

Personally, and my advice on this deal, certainly don't stick your nose up at a nice CS-620 if one comes along, but for just a tad over $300 delivered to your door you can have two CS-590's for the current price of a CS-620PW. This makes the CS-590 currently the best deal out there bar none for a really nice mid-size saw with PLENTY of power and dead solid reliable in long term service....IMHO...........Cliff

I wish to confirm my similar observations regarding the Echo CS-590. I have run several CS-590 and CS-600P saws for years, along with the aforementioned modifications. Great saws and a great value. Usually, most Echo saws like this seem to be showing about 165 psi on my compression gauges. One thing that perplexes me, is how Echo keeps producing the type of decompression valves that keep popping up after just one half to one completed pull. Its not that you actually need the decompression valve with just a 60cc saw, but I have rotator cuff problems. I usually don't have this problem with Husqvarna chainsaws, but to be fair, their compression readings are many times a little lower than the Echo. I have the same problem with my Stihl MS-660 magnum, but that brute is putting out over 180 psi compression. Replacement costs for the Echo CS-590 OEM decompression valves are ridiculous compared to aftermarket prices available for Husqvarna. Not only does a good decompression valve save your shoulder, it also spares wear and tear on your recoil starter. Has anybody else experienced this?

The CS-620PW is a really nice saw. It sports additional "professional" features like the metal wrap handle, removable chain sprocket, extra bumper spike, and different P/C, bigger carb, unlimited coil, etc. I believe it's "rated" about 15 percent stronger than the CS-590/600P, but I can't really tell that much difference in them.

For sure it's no slouch, but outfitted with a 20" bar in tops left over from logging operations and such like we cut I have to look down at it to make sure it's not my CS-590 or 600P, can't really tell any big difference.

Personally, and my advice on this deal, certainly don't stick your nose up at a nice CS-620 if one comes along, but for just a tad over $300 delivered to your door you can have two CS-590's for the current price of a CS-620PW. This makes the CS-590 currently the best deal out there bar none for a really nice mid-size saw with PLENTY of power and dead solid reliable in long term service....IMHO...........Cliff
Thanks Cliff. I have the 590 and totally agree with you. No better deal on the market!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Back