Echo CS-670 Vrs. Stihl MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they handle nicer. Opened up the muffler on my CS6700 and it's right on the heels of my o44, 20 seconds verses 19 seconds, keep those rakers low and take advantage of that torque. Steve

I hardly think a muffler mod will make up for a full hp less to begin with.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

Did you run the same chain on both saws?

I hardly think a muffler mod will make up for a full hp less to begin with.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

Did you run the same chain on both saws?

Same chain off the same roll. I don't believe much in numbers just how they cut but I just looked at numbers from Stihl on a 441 4.1 kw and 6.6 kg (wieght) Echo CS6702 4.25 kw and wieghts 6.2 kg. Maybe some of you should run a well tuned Echo before blowing smoke. Like I said numbers are numbers, We all know a 670 echo won't cut as fast as a 441 stihl, but it won't be that far behind. When I first got my 6700 it was a dog, opened up the muffler and cleaned up the intake some, no porting, now it cuts. ( it's not a good canidate for porting anyway, raise the ports = more RPM LESS torque and it doesn't have a big enough intake system for more RPM). Steve

Last edited:
Even though I have never used the 670, I won't say it's a bad saw. It may be a well built unit. Just like you said, I would never compare it to a 440.:cheers:

They are very well built and solid saws. Mine modded nicely, too. I wish I had a 440 but do have a 660 on the way. I'm expecting that to be on another planet.:chainsawguy:

OK, I've dealt with a fair few too many echos in the bush over the years, for hard-out, full time use they never make the grade, end of story. They're cheapish casual use saws, that's the market they're aimed at. Any pretence of being commercial grade is just bluster and posturing from the company. Their 5 year guarantee is a sleazy gimmick, plain and simple. Here in NZ, as commercial saws they're ridiculed with a vengeance. The ones that don't blow their engines and actually last for a while are so detuned and sluggish it's pathetic. I've seen them drop-kicked over cliffs and hurled into rivers. I've seen piles of them dumped into the back of work vehicles in disgust, never to be pissed around with again. Lots of bush workers never listen till it's too late. The glossy echo brochures do their trick. Give most echos a full months work, they'll rattle, vibrate and run like sick tired dogs. The equivalent stihls and huskys are only then just getting into their stride, responsive, smooth, barking and powerful. Running a stihl or husky after running an echo is like shifting house from a leaking corrugated iron shanty to buckingham palace. Even the latest model echos I've seen crap out in a big way. Nothing seems to have changed. Again, as casual saws they'll do their job, anything will actually. Waste of time comparing them to the top brand saws though

Latest posts

Back