Echo CS500VL Conversion to Electronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarshark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Found this non running 50cc Echo CS500VL at an estate sale for very cheap price. The bar/chain were worth the price to me so I did not even quibble. Initial cleaninig revealed the saw was in good shape and worth repair. Quick check of the basics(fuel/compression & spark) were all good.
IMG_0976.JPG
Carb rebuilt,filter cleaned and fuel line pressure tested. Saw still wont run but tries to fire and jerks the handle out of your hand. Spark at the wrong time ? Pulled the flywheel and the key is not sheared. This is a points/condesor saw so I filed the points and reassembled the saw. Same results...saw will try to fire and jerk the handle out of your hand. I remember I had a spare Mega-Fire module and decided to try and convert the saw to electronic ignition from a points/condensor set-up. Pulled the flywheel again,removed the cover over the points and clipped the wire from the points. Completed removed the points and condensor. Mounted the Mega-Fire module under the flywheel using the mounting hole for the old condensor. Not enough clearance(flywheel rubbed the module) so moved the module and used a coil mounting hole to secure the module.
IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG
Saw has full spark now and runs well. The module is fully protected under the plastic flywheel cover. I do not know if engine heat might affect the module in the future but it appears the module is pretty durable.
IMG_0980.JPG
These modules are available at a very reasonable ($15) price on ebay and appear to be an effective solution to bypass the problems associated with the older points/condensor ignition system.

Lesson to be learned: When checking a saw for spark, ensure the spark is a quality spark(fat,blue,bright color) and do not assume that just because a spark is present, that it is strong enough to provide sufficient ignition.

First off, new to arborist site and to chainsaw repair. I am teaching myself (via the internet) to do some repairs on older saws after I brought back to life an echo 452 I got for free. Now I have the itch to fix another saw. I acquired a 500vl (not recalled) for $20 as my next project. I am a little apprehensive about pulling the flywheel to check the points as I think this is why I am not getting spark. The saw was pretty dirty, but piston looks good. How do I pull the flywheel and do I need to do anything with the timing? Also, please let me know if I need to post this to somewhere else (again, new to all of this). Thanks.

Latest posts

Back