Echo CS8000 good/bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1dragon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just seeing what the general consensus is on this saw. There is one for sale by me that is in almost new condition with a 36" bar on it. I'm kinda sold on Stihl products just because they always work when I need them to. I'm not too fond of the little Echo I have do to always giving me issues in the middle of a job. Anyway for those who have used one how's the power? Does it have carb problems like some other Echo products. Thanks' guys!

I have an 8000 and like it. Mine is an old quick vent from the late 80s. I couldn't get it to idle and run right at first. Put in a carb kit and it's ran great ever since. They are kind of heavy and have lots of torque.

I had an ECHO CS6700. Bought it new at Home Depot on clearance years ago. I took out a HD credit card and got an add'l. 10% off the clearance price.

Mentioned it on this very forum after I bought it, and even before I was able to fire it up, someone made me an offer I simply could not resist.

So....I sold it w/o ever using it. It did look like a nice saw though. :msp_biggrin:

I had an ECHO CS6700. Bought it new at Home Depot on clearance years ago. I took out a HD credit card and got an add'l. 10% off the clearance price.

Mentioned it on this very forum after I bought it, and even before I was able to fire it up, someone made me an offer I simply could not resist.

So....I sold it w/o ever using it. It did look like a nice saw though. :msp_biggrin:

LOL, talk about turning a saw!!!

I have one of the grey ones I purchased new to clear some occasional big trees that I come across, never had any issues, mostly run a 24" slightly lightened Oregon bar on it but have 36 and 42" for it with skip chain for big jobs.

Fine saw if you can get it for a good price. Older design, still in modern production. They have a manual oiler as well as a good auto oiler that is adjustable. Pro construction, split magnesium case, pulls chain hard. Yes, if it has limiter caps, as most newish saws, you might want to pull them and adjust appropriately.

Mine has a 36" bar as well and I have used it quite a bit in large hardwoods since I got it this summer, making a runner from two parts saws.

Thanks guys for the responses. How is the power with the 36 and 42 bars? This one is red in color and about half of retail but really does not have much time on it.

Have an old red 8000. Lots of torque. Typical old Echo, likes the carb adjusted rich. :msp_smile:

slightly older johndeere version:
2a9ux60.jpg

11l6jxl.jpg

it has the newer domed piston top end and that makes a big difference in power. the older flat tops were a little low in the hp department. made o.k. torque, but not really any wow in the topend. muffler modding the older saws made a big difference in output, woke them up alot. it's still no stihl460, but it's also way less than half the price.:)
if it's a newer domed piston model, way different story. way more noticable h.p., and alot more torque. still the same muffler, and that still needs to be opened up.:msp_sleep:
with a quick and easy muffmod and a good proper tune, these saws will pull 36" full comp with no issues.
good saw for the money, extremly well built, and will last for a very long time.
if you want to run one with an 18"-24" bar/chain, switch up to a 8t rim.

I have the impression that is has at least some of the usual Echo weakness - basically no power or torque worth mentioning anywhere in the rpm range? :givebeer:

I've owned and ran quite a few of them. The 8000 is a "turd" by modern standards, at least if you compare it to other professional saws in that cc range. I had one here for a while, and found it to be heavy, and underpowered. Had decent torque, or mid-range power, but SERIOUSLY lacking on upper rpm and top end power. It wouldn't cut with my old 480CD, and wasn't in the same league as my 181SE.

It also had the flat screen filter, and you had to pry a rubber cap out to make carb adjustments, not nothing too "professional" about that deal, IMHO.

Same deal with the CS-670 and 6700's. I had two CS-670's, and still have a 6700 that was fully restored. There are OK, but if you own a Husqvarna 262 or 268XP, you woln't find yourself running the 670's are 6700's very much, if at all.

I'm pretty fond of Echo products as a general rule, they make some really nice stuff, and a few of there saws are "home-runs" for power and power to weight ratios, those models just aren't in that deal....IMHO.....Cliff

How many Echo's have you ran?

Why do you think I was speaking about my impression, and not experience....:msp_wink:

You mostly will see that they can't make any decent power at any rpm, just by looking at how the cylinders are ported - there isn't any "magic" involved.

Last edited:
Why do you think I was speaking about my impression, and not experience....:msp_wink:

You mostly will see that they can't make any decent power at any rpm, just by looking at how the cylinders are ported - there isn't any "magic" involved.

So you have ran 0 Echo's and you trash all of them? That is almost like going your whole life hating cherry pie because someone told you they didn't like it and you never tasted it.

No power? nuts..here's bone stock not even a mufler mod with some big oak I did with one. easey peasey, lay it on, chewed right through right smartly...Had to quarter or even smaller the rounds just to lift them into a trailer.

257321d1350270789-oct14_12_fatoakrounds002-jpg

Loaded up

257593d1350436539-oct16_12_oakscore011-jpg

A determined Man and any chainsaw (with a decent chain)

a tree don't stand a chance.

A determined Man and any chainsaw (with a decent chain)

a tree don't stand a chance.

that's pretty much it. I just cut for myself now, not a production cutter. The amount of "time" I would save bucking up the trunk on a tree like that up above using a 1000 buck ported saw over that 250 dollar used built stock saw would be extremely neglibile compared to the next step, handling hauling home, splitting stacking, etc. We're talking a few minutes difference, as in big deal. It quite literally took me longer to sharpen that long chain then it did to buck the trunk up. I mean, it's perfectly fine as a cheap larger saw. I am in NO rush to get rid of mine anytime soon.

You can get into a used cs8000 and three sizes bar and loops, say a 20, 27 and 36, for less than a powerhead or one bar only classifieds or CL deal used and something in a similar size range from the "big two". Heck, right now my local CL, some dude is asking 800 clams for a used ms460. Well, that's nice, but for joe homeowner bucking some cords of wood, he could get a cs400 AND a cs 8000 and a lot of extras for the same money. Or a brand spanking new cs600p and another smaller saw used and some extras, etc.

It just depends on what you might could use, what sort of cash you got handy when deal x,y or z shows up, what would be a deal or bargain or not.

Mechanized full time professional production cutting (timber,firewood, arborist work), complete with the depreciation write off for your equipment, that's just a completely different discussion.

Latest posts

Back