Echo CS8000 good/bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya Bro'

Seems if "you don't smoke the same cigarette as me" you be less than a real wood cutter.

100 ways to skin a Cat eh?

Thanks everyone, my thoughts are to either get this saw or wait for a 460. This is why I was asking about the power. am I correct in assuming that the red Echo probably has the better top end? I will MM whatever I get, so that's a given. I mostly just cut firewood for myself and am going to need a saw that will run a 36" bar in oak. This Echo looks new and the guy is asking 450 with a 36" bar on it. I would prefer the Stihl but have not found any 460's in that price range!

Thanks everyone, my thoughts are to either get this saw or wait for a 460. This is why I was asking about the power. am I correct in assuming that the red Echo probably has the better top end? I will MM whatever I get, so that's a given. I mostly just cut firewood for myself and am going to need a saw that will run a 36" bar in oak. This Echo looks new and the guy is asking 450 with a 36" bar on it. I would prefer the Stihl but have not found any 460's in that price range!

Not trying to talk you out of it, but if he would come down another benjamin that would be a better deal. It is a "fair" deal what he is asking. I have felled up to a 38" oak with mine, and it obviously could handle something larger. hhmm..thinking on it, I bucked a larger diameter pine log up with that as well, but didn't fell the tree, boss (owner o property where I live) had the bucket truck guys with insurance do that job (big tree in yard next to the house). (yes, I could have done it but he wanted the guys with insurance to do it, friends of his anyway he knows)

With that said, last I looked there was a dolly 7900 and a 394 in the classifieds here for around that loot. Forget on bars, you can find them easy enough though.

If you get that echo, and it has caps on the carb, by all means get rid of those things and richen it up on the H side at least a little. Dang epa got these manuacturers between a rock and a hard place on engineering reality. Or schlep it to an echo shop and have the wrench do it for you, should be cheap for that. Make 'em happy and buy another loop and some mix oil and some files there, etc., maybe they will do that for free then, wouldn't take them just two minutes to do it.

I don't know on the muffler mods, haven't done mine yet because it is a welded up muffler and I know I couldn't weld it back up..heh.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but if he would come down another benjamin that would be a better deal. It is a "fair" deal what he is asking. I have felled up to a 38" oak with mine, and it obviously could handle something larger. hhmm..thinking on it, I bucked a larger diameter pine log up with that as well, but didn't fell the tree, boss (owner o property where I live) had the bucket truck guys with insurance do that job (big tree in yard next to the house). (yes, I could have done it but he wanted the guys with insurance to do it, friends of his anyway he knows)

With that said, last I looked there was a dolly 7900 and a 394 in the classifieds here for around that loot. Forget on bars, you can find them easy enough though.

If you get that echo, and it has caps on the carb, by all means get rid of those things and richen it up on the H side at least a little. Dang epa got these manuacturers between a rock and a hard place on engineering reality. Or schlep it to an echo shop and have the wrench do it for you, should be cheap for that. Make 'em happy and buy another loop and some mix oil and some files there, etc., maybe they will do that for free then, wouldn't take them just two minutes to do it.

I don't know on the muffler mods, haven't done mine yet because it is a welded up muffler and I know I couldn't weld it back up..heh.

Thank you zogger. Now I know where I should be on price if I decide to go for it. For that size saw it seemed like a good deal to me. Glad I asked, now I know the difference between good and fair on this unit. Thanks again!

It's hard to justify buying a Echo 8000 when you can get good used 7900's for $350 (one in the classifieds now and thats what my nice one sold for) and good used 460's for about a hundred Dollars more. That Echo would have to be really low in price.

Set up with a good agressive chain to take advantage of that torque a Cs8000 cuts good. There have been some at GTG and they don't take a back seat to any other 80cc saw in cutting speed. If your the type of person who wants to let a saw rev(12000 rpm) in the cut get a Husky or Stihl. Steve

Last edited:
Set up with a good agressive chain to take advantage of that torque a Cs8000 cuts good. There have been some at GTG and they don't take a back seat to any other 80cc saw in cutting speed. If your the type of person who wants to let a saw rev in the cut get a Husky or Stihl. Steve

In regards to your last statement. You mean a member of the 21st century? Time is money.

In regards to your last statement. You mean a member of the 21st century? Time is money.

Time is money??? My Echo CS8000, 7900 Dolmar and 385 Husky all CUT real close to each other in timed cuts and they all cut way faster than mu 044, don't have a 046 or 460 but have run them. I'd run the Dolmar as it's over 2# lighter than the other 2. Steve

Last edited:
Cookie cutting is not the only aspect to an efficient saw. I have no doubt the echo is the slowest of its class. I'm also confident that replacement parts are much easier to obtain for husq and stihl. Too bad McC and Homelite are gone...

Cookie cutting is not the only aspect to an efficient saw. I have no doubt the echo is the slowest of its class. I'm also confident that replacement parts are much easier to obtain for husq and stihl. Too bad McC and Homelite are gone...

The Echo is the slowest revving( might not have the chain speed but pulls BIGGER chips) but using a agressive chain cuts within 1 second of the 7900 and 385, iimpressed people at some GTG. Parts(if ever needed). are easy, either online or at a local dealer. So far I've had to replace 1 av mount on my 670 in all of these years. I have bought some burnt up ones off Ebay that needed a piston or P@C. Did I mention they are about 1/2 the price of spendy Stihl parts. Nothing wrong with PRO Stihl saws except the price and parts. Steve

Too those of you knocking a Echo CS8000, have you run one with a good chain tuned right against a 7900,385,460 etc. I'd take the Dolmar due to the wieght, none of the other have nothing as good yet. Steve

When ever someone runs my 8000 the first words are usually (WOW that thing cuts fast). Proper setup is the key. Run low rakers because they are a mid range motor not like everyone else rev monsters. I have run my brothers 2071 and don't like the narrow peaky powerband. My guess is that my 8000 is 15-20% faster than his saw.

When ever someone runs my 8000 the first words are usually (WOW that thing cuts fast). Proper setup is the key. Run low rakers because they are a mid range motor not like everyone else rev monsters. I have run my brothers 2071 and don't like the narrow peaky powerband. My guess is that my 8000 is 15-20% faster than his saw.

I'll agree with that as my CS8000 cuts way faster than my 044 (close to a 2071) and I love the powerband on the Echo and really don't like Huskys high peaky power band although my 385 has almost a decent powerband. You don't have to keep any Echo just perfect to cut good. Same thing here everyone the uses my Echo saws say they really cut but most blame it on a sharp chain. Steve

Thank you zogger. Now I know where I should be on price if I decide to go for it. For that size saw it seemed like a good deal to me. Glad I asked, now I know the difference between good and fair on this unit. Thanks again!

You are welcome. What he is asking is a "fair" deal as it is roughly half new price for the saw and that large bar. A grant or benjamin cheaper would make it a "good" deal. Much cheaper than that would be a very good deal. For your larger saw just for personal firewood, say as a two saw plan with a 40-50 cc saw as the smaller, it would work just fine. Grab a smaller bar for it as well, a 24 or 27, and only run the 36 when you need to. With echo paint they cost more, but plain jane oregon you can find them cheaper.

The adjustable auto oilers work *great*, slings a gusher set on high, and they are one of the few modern saws still in production that come with a manual oiler button as well.

Latest posts

Back