Echo CS8000 good/bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger gave you pretty good info, if you can buy it for the right money and you take care of it the saw will prolly do you a good job, will it cut with some of the other top of the line pro models, probably not, but if your just cutting for yourself and not production cutting who cares if it is a few seconds slower. If you wanting to get by with as little as money as you can and still get a saw that will do the job sounds like a deal if it is in good condition. I'm not the biggest Echo fan in the world when it comes to saws, but not everyone needs to own a Husky or Stihl either, just like the majority do not really need pro ported muffler modded saws either.

Between my 385xp. 7900 and CS8000 there might be 1 second (not a few seconds) difference in a 20 second cut, I timed them a few times. A Zogger said run a agreessive chain on the Echo as it has the torque to handle it. Reports from GTG have been good to the Echo CS8000. Steve

They are built very very well. I had a QV-8000 (rescue saw) and it would start/run on the first pull every time. How it was able to pump enough fuel to start and stay running from a short pull on the recoil was beyond me. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

You are welcome. What he is asking is a "fair" deal as it is roughly half new price for the saw and that large bar. A grant or benjamin cheaper would make it a "good" deal. Much cheaper than that would be a very good deal. For your larger saw just for personal firewood, say as a two saw plan with a 40-50 cc saw as the smaller, it would work just fine. Grab a smaller bar for it as well, a 24 or 27, and only run the 36 when you need to. With echo paint they cost more, but plain jane oregon you can find them cheaper.

To the contrary, Echo's pricing on the Oregon made bars is between $10 and $20 cheaper per bar, at least in New England. I priced some 18" bars last week, 180slbk or gk 216 was $10 more than a 18fold3372 from Echo, both bars 18", .050 and pro-lite config.

As for the pricing, your right on the mark.

Your the joke bashing the size of the studs and nuts. Steve

Whatever you say jack. Lemme just ask, do you fall timber on a production level with your echo cs-8000? Do you know anyone who does? Does anyone that you are acquainted to know anyone who does? Hmmm, il just take a guess and say no. So perhaps you and your echo cs-8000 are the ####ing joke. Can't even get a ####ing wrap handle on the thing...

You are welcome. What he is asking is a "fair" deal as it is roughly half new price for the saw and that large bar. A grant or benjamin cheaper would make it a "good" deal. Much cheaper than that would be a very good deal. For your larger saw just for personal firewood, say as a two saw plan with a 40-50 cc saw as the smaller, it would work just fine. Grab a smaller bar for it as well, a 24 or 27, and only run the 36 when you need to. With echo paint they cost more, but plain jane oregon you can find them cheaper.

To the contrary, Echo's pricing on the Oregon made bars is between $10 and $20 cheaper per bar, at least in New England. I priced some 18" bars last week, 180slbk or gk 216 was $10 more than a 18fold3372 from Echo, both bars 18", .050 and pro-lite config.

As for the pricing, your right on the mark.

Cool then, interesting to hear that. Last time I looked, echo branded/painted was higher. If it is cheaper now, for the same bar, that's a deal!

Whatever you say jack. Lemme just ask, do you fall timber on a production level with your echo cs-8000? Do you know anyone who does? Does anyone that you are acquainted to know anyone who does? Hmmm, il just take a guess and say no. So perhaps you and your echo cs-8000 are the ####ing joke. Can't even get a ####ing wrap handle on the thing...

That's not the discussion here. The original poster wanted to know if that saw running that bar would work for like big hardwoods, for his personal fireood harvest, ie, not hundreds of cords or millions of board feet timber.. Yes it will. It will work for that just fine.

Is it as fast or as light as a more expensive ported husky or stihl of similar displacement, like a production cutter would buy and use? No...but..it will still pull that chain ENOUGH to cut decent wood in a resonable time frame. For doing personal firewood, going out to get a pickup or trailer load, the cut times difference in the same log/wood is immaterial really. As I pointed out beore, bucking up the rounds is the least amount of time consumed when doing firewood, it's all that other stuff that adds up for the real total time involved per cord. We're talking maybe a few minutes a cord in big wood, tops. It's a non-issue. The second question was on pricing, his ad he saw was a "fair" price but not a "steal", that's about it. If he could get him down 50-100 bucks, then heck ya.

As for reliability, they have been emergency services lives might depend on them saws for a long time now, all over, many municipalites and jurisdictions, so that would be considered "professional use". The engine in mine was a fireman's quickvent saw engine. It's certainly seems "reliable". They are draft mules, not racehorses.

Yes, it is possible for them to not run well, happened to my saw twice, both times my fault, operator error on starting and not having the low jet adjusted correctly. Not the saw's fault. Like posted above, ususally mine starts on the second pull cold, one pull choke on, next pull choke off it starts. No decomb either. And I guess some guy's saws even easier than that, first pull cold.

It did happen once, a bad start, when my friend was starting it (ha, unfortunately the one time I had a saw on video..murphys law) it flooded and then ran like crap for awhile, but that was an easy two second adjustment, back to normal. Pfft, could happen to any saw.

Thanks for this thread as it got me to look at these saws, and I like what I see. They appear to be well built. For a guy cutting his own firewood high performance is pretty irrelevant, as the time spent with the saw in the wood it a pretty small fraction of the job. What matters more to me is capability, quality, reliability and of course the cost. I don't have much real need for a saw of this size, at least not often, but I will keep my eyes open for one. It would go well with my 55cc cinder block Mac with a 24" bar running square ground - another totally worthless dog that does everything I need it to.

No doubt its a good saw. I am just being a ####

Well, that's fine then, enjoy yourself! Ha! The net can certainly be fun for that. I've been on (bulletin boards then the net) since acoustic modem days, had my share of "interesting" discussions! BWAHAHAHAHA!

I'd actually like to build up another 8000, if I can find another real cheap junker to go with the box 0 parts I have left over from the first build.

Thanks' again everybody! The saw in question looks brand new, I don't see any scratches on it. Although i'm going off of the pics posted, but it looks real good. It appears as what I was thinking in that Echo makes good products for the average user. My 015 Stihl is my limber, the 029/390 I currently run an 18" full chisel and will probably get a 24" bar for it as well. That would leave the CS8000 for the big stumps, with it being Christmas time I don't know if I can swing it just yet. So I was thinking I might pass up a steal, but now everybodies responses' clears things up for me.:smile2:

So you have ran 0 Echo's and you trash all of them? That is almost like going your whole life hating cherry pie because someone told you they didn't like it and you never tasted it.

Its not cherry pie at all, Saw Troll hates blueberry pie, he would like to see all blueberry pies in the dumpster on top of a pile of Echo's that is a fact.

echos are top notch they make the best landfill of all

I think it is funny when people say Echo's are junk until a cs1001vl comes up for sale, then it is a mad dash to see who can bring it home first.

Howdee:

I like my Echo 670 Gray but I think the newer cs680 Orange, has better power-noticed the p/n for the engine parts are different.

Not the sidetrack you but take a look at the EFCO MT8200 also, This is a tank also, but no manual oiler, superb quality.

I like the big Echos for their manual oilers, and alloy fuel tanks.

I know this isn't in the same generation of saws but my Echo/John Deere 80 seems to have ample power. I doubt it has near the power of a big Stihl or Husky but also has a much lower price. The saw is rather heavy but so am I.
The manual oiler lever is broken on my saw, I just turned the automatic up to max.

I've been taking echo's in on trade so I have got to test a few.

My stock 8000 with MM, I would run against any saw in that class 0-80. Only draw back is the stihl 660 type pho weight of the 8000. Oh and no de-comp, hence the 460 rescue handle. This one has it all, rpm and torque. IMO

Brad blsnelling ran it at a gtg against several bigger older cc saws he had to test and from what he told me the 24" on the 8000 buried was cutting quicker then the other test saws.

Have a 6700 and it does cut ok with 20", but it sure isnt a husky 365 special with 20". Hardwood cut for firewood wouldnt know the difference if you were cutting seconds slower through the cut. Not near the rpm or torque in the cut. IMO

Poulan hand guard to the rescue. 8000

CopyofJD800PP505365008.jpg

echopoulanhandle002.jpg

Put a poulan hand guard on this one to after pic was taken. 6700

670echotest20003.jpg

Latest posts

Back