Echo Kioritz twin cylinder chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
Sold most of my twin saws to other collectors. I had six. Still have two, one complete and running, the second one also running but it has a damaged (broken out) right crankcase half. Also still have new parts such as piston rings and crankseals for both sides. I am not so active any moore collecting Echo saws but i still have an almost complete collection of the EVL range with a lot of doubles. For work in the woods i mostly use the CS 4500, 6700, and 8000 that are a bit lighter and run higher in revs. Especial the 4500 model runs very well and these are now about 30 years old. A good sharpened chain is all it needs to get the work done. I call them the Toyota under the chainsaws. Maybe a bit boring but very reliable.

Greetings from The Netherlands
Jos.

Hey guys. Greetings from N. California. My neighbor has an echo 601s in mint condition that he bought new and only used a few times. He asked me about possibly selling it for him but I’m not sure what it might be worth. Any thoughts? Here’s a couple pics. I’d love some expert opinions. There’s not many around to get a sense of how much they are selling for

Attachments

• 3E71B7FC-1F13-45BF-8CF5-918FE560B07F.jpeg
    3E71B7FC-1F13-45BF-8CF5-918FE560B07F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 1109F768-D536-44F0-95C7-C9D4D5875D06.jpeg
    1109F768-D536-44F0-95C7-C9D4D5875D06.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
There's some moaning and groaning about the twin cylinder 'boxer' or horizontally-opposed saws but perhaps the purpose should not be ignored. Chainsaw
vibration damages users as do jackhammers and impact drills. The smoothness of the saws is their justification. It's unlikely any saw will achieve, at readily
manageable weight, the torque of an electric saw but all available to us today are single cylinder verticals. The dual cylinder verticals did not, as do the
horizontally opposed, reduce vibration. There's always someone/someones who will want to start an argument about how much better is their machine
but none of it is worth listening We are speaking of twins, and I this case Echo twins.

I think I have discovered a method of fixing the pickup coil and hosed some dud ones would arrive for me to work on. Meanwhile these are a 'collectors item'.
I have seen them range from $1200 to $475, the latter in poor order. and/or incomplete. There'll always be tales of one found for $10 at a garage sale or
some-such, or the tooth fairy left one overnight but with ignition sets costing US $175 second-hand the saw itself has to come in at, at least, US $600.00.
Of course is you want to try to ruin peoples' investments for your own perverse gratification no one can stop you...but think solidly about those who found bought
and fixed...even cleaned them. You can easily spend 2 hours on the saw....and again of course someone put it in the dishwasher or something....but treated with care
be fair to the people who treasure them.

Those shown in the photos are in my view $1200-1400 saws....immaculate great professional bar. Where ill you buy another like that if you want one.?

Hey guys. Greetings from N. California. My neighbor has an echo 601s in mint condition that he bought new and only used a few times. He asked me about possibly selling it for him but I’m not sure what it might be worth. Any thoughts? Here’s a couple pics. I’d love some expert opinions. There’s not many around to get a sense of how much they are selling for

If it's in working order I'd say the real street value (as opposed to aspirational pricing) is in the $150-175 range on a good day, no more. It can be listed for $200 OBO and then see what kind of offers arrive. If local pickup only the real price may be considerably lower: I have no idea what sort of market your area has.
This is a pretty standard Echo saw from the 70's: spares are getting hard to come by and no matter what some oldtimers say there are far better old saws out there to use regularly. This thing belongs in a collection, and it's not exactly rare nor valuable.

If it's in working order I'd say the real street value (as opposed to aspirational pricing) is in the $150-175 range on a good day, no more. It can be listed for $200 OBO and then see what kind of offers arrive. If local pickup only the real price may be considerably lower: I have no idea what sort of market your area has.
This is a pretty standard Echo saw from the 70's: spares are getting hard to come by and no matter what some oldtimers say there are far better old saws out there to use regularly. This thing belongs in a collection, and it's not exactly rare nor valuable.

As I indicated there's always someone for some purpose to talk-down and deride values and performance. If they are not rare then why are parts rare? The wrecking value of a working twin cylinder, without postage included, is over $600US and they are not hard to pull apart. They are rare and they have a following, whether aspirational as my observer says more than practical is likely. I however still appreciate 'era' , labour value and human endeavour as being of value in an article I buy. You can see a Bugatti as a Billycart or a beautiful thin and charge for it in that frame as a vendor but the person who sees it as a beautiful thing has to be prepared to pay better than Billycart price. He will not then be doing doughnuts in it.Diamond rings neither last forever nor are they generally of intrinsic value but once upon a time they were all natural stones hand cut by experts. They are no improvement over machine cut fake stones but they cost a lot more. These arguments can be applied to all diminishing commodities which attract people prepared to pay to own. Others wouldn't bother. That's the end of the discussion for me I will not be drawn back into it.

As I indicated there's always someone for some purpose to talk-down and deride values and performance. If they are not rare then why are parts rare? The wrecking value of a working twin cylinder, without postage included, is over $600US and they are not hard to pull apart. They are rare and they have a following, whether aspirational as my observer says more than practical is likely. I however still appreciate 'era' , labour value and human endeavour as being of value in an article I buy. You can see a Bugatti as a Billycart or a beautiful thin and charge for it in that frame as a vendor but the person who sees it as a beautiful thing has to be prepared to pay better than Billycart price. He will not then be doing doughnuts in it.Diamond rings neither last forever nor are they generally of intrinsic value but once upon a time they were all natural stones hand cut by experts. They are no improvement over machine cut fake stones but they cost a lot more. These arguments can be applied to all diminishing commodities which attract people prepared to pay to own. Others wouldn't bother. That's the end of the discussion for me I will not be drawn back into it.

If you look at the pictures it's an ordinary CS601VL, not a twin of any kind. ;)
Would you pay a grand or even half as much for a CS601VL? I just gave him a standard value for 70's Echo models around that displacement.
Our friend here probably just mispelled 1 and 0 in the search function and posted here instead of somewhere else.

I had absolutely zero intention of offending you or anybody, but here's a bit of friendly advice: if you take everything so seriously you won't last long on this forum.

I really appreciate your help here. I am new to Echo's line of saws and somehow was under the wrong impression that this was a twin saw. I'm assuming that CS601sVL indicates "CS (Chainsaw) 601 (about 60cc) VL (Vibe-less)? Not sure about that, just a guess. And the "s", I don't know about. So I'm understanding that this vintage saw was fairly common in the 70's and I should price it accordingly ($100-$200) for a clean running saw of this size. I found an old manual and it specifies 20:1 mix. I've never heard of such a rich mixture! Interesting. Thanks again!

Correct...rather than strip them I just sold 4 twin cylinder saws as one lot for $Au1050.00.

I really appreciate your help here. I am new to Echo's line of saws and somehow was under the wrong impression that this was a twin saw. I'm assuming that CS601sVL indicates "CS (Chainsaw) 601 (about 60cc) VL (Vibe-less)? Not sure about that, just a guess. And the "s", I don't know about. So I'm understanding that this vintage saw was fairly common in the 70's and I should price it accordingly ($100-$200) for a clean running saw of this size. I found an old manual and it specifies 20:1 mix. I've never heard of such a rich mixture! Interesting. Thanks again!
The twin cylinder saws are 'EVL". John Deere also had echo make twin cylinder saws for them I have a new magneto flywheel here for one.

Latest posts

Back