Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a basic Echo CS-400 (40cc) saw purchased "reconditioned" from my local Home Depot almost 10 years ago. One of the most reliable little saws I have ever owned. Starts easy and runs like a champ. I would never hesitate to recommend Echo saws based on this experience, but it is a small/mid saw at 40cc and therefore is mostly used for cutting wood 12-14" or less so can't comment on move heavy duty usage. But for basic residential use I think they are great. Tempted to get a 50 or 60 cc Echo but have opted for Chinese Stihl knockoffs instead. But I think the Echo quality is far superior to the China/Stihls I own.

I’ve got a MS261. It’s been a good saw but never would have bought it over an Echo 590 or 620 in hindsight. But I agree with a 261 out performing the 3510 and 4510… with more displacement and twice the price, I would hope so. The 261 would be more evenly matched with the Echo 501p. I’ve no experience with that saw but I just can’t get over its looks. I think it’s ugly.

I have owned a basic Echo CS-400 (40cc) saw purchased "reconditioned" from my local Home Depot almost 10 years ago. One of the most reliable little saws I have ever owned. Starts easy and runs like a champ. I would never hesitate to recommend Echo saws based on this experience, but it is a small/mid saw at 40cc and therefore is mostly used for cutting wood 12-14" or less so can't comment on move heavy duty usage. But for basic residential use I think they are great. Tempted to get a 50 or 60 cc Echo but have opted for Chinese Stihl knockoffs instead. But I think the Echo quality is far superior to the China/Stihls I own.
Based on pure simplicity and reliability, the cs400 is my favorite saw. I own a 370 and a red 400(402s). If you do your part right, you can’t kill them.

I’ve got a MS261. It’s been a good saw but never would have bought it over an Echo 590 or 620 in hindsight. But I agree with a 261 out performing the 3510 and 4510… with more displacement and twice the price, I would hope so. The 261 would be more evenly matched with the Echo 501p. I’ve no experience with that saw but I just can’t get over its looks. I think it’s ugly.
3510 would be compared to the MS 180 and the 4910 is supposed to be close to the 501p and 261

IF you buy a 3510 my guess is you will NEVER use that 310 again. When I bought my 352 before the 3510 was created, I had a 310. It had a muffler mod and tuned correctly. That little thing Cuts great BUT, it was just sitting unused. Almost new. I sold it to a friend for 130 bucks. They use it very little. I keep it up for them and sharpen the chain etc..BUT.. I would never buy another 310.. I'm 75 now and use my saws less so I'm happy with the 352 but a friend bought the 3510 and it's awesome.. I have the 490 and use it some. I'd bet the 4910 is nicer.. FOR most of what I do now the 490, and the 352 are the most used saws. For that OCCASIONAL huge tree, the cs590 with a 28 inch bar does the trick..All of my saws are cranked pretty often even if I am not going to use them. Every gas engine on the farm is started every couple of months just to keep them alive..For that I use NON-ethanol gas and One Ounce of Sea foam to a gallon. I add just a TINY bit of Mixed gas to the Chainsaws. Crank them warm them up and then empty the fuel out while they are running. I then let them idle until they die. Some folks say differently. It might allow the carb parts to dry out. It might be worse. But that how I do it.. I once got a saw from a guy that had set up for 5 or 6 years. BEFORE I did anything I removed the Carb and soaked it for a month in a jar of NON Mixed gasoline. THEN I cleaned the carb. That way the internal gaskets were soft and DID NOT crack..But,, what do I know? It's just my way. Yours might differ..

IF you buy a 3510 my guess is you will NEVER use that 310 again. When I bought my 352 before the 3510 was created, I had a 310. It had a muffler mod and tuned correctly. That little thing Cuts great BUT, it was just sitting unused. Almost new. I sold it to a friend for 130 bucks. They use it very little. I keep it up for them and sharpen the chain etc..BUT.. I would never buy another 310.. I'm 75 now and use my saws less so I'm happy with the 352 but a friend bought the 3510 and it's awesome.. I have the 490 and use it some. I'd bet the 4910 is nicer.. FOR most of what I do now the 490, and the 352 are the most used saws. For that OCCASIONAL huge tree, the cs590 with a 28 inch bar does the trick..All of my saws are cranked pretty often even if I am not going to use them. Every gas engine on the farm is started every couple of months just to keep them alive..For that I use NON-ethanol gas and One Ounce of Sea foam to a gallon. I add just a TINY bit of Mixed gas to the Chainsaws. Crank them warm them up and then empty the fuel out while they are running. I then let them idle until they die. Some folks say differently. It might allow the carb parts to dry out. It might be worse. But that how I do it.. I once got a saw from a guy that had set up for 5 or 6 years. BEFORE I did anything I removed the Carb and soaked it for a month in a jar of NON Mixed gasoline. THEN I cleaned the carb. That way the internal gaskets were soft and DID NOT crack..But,, what do I know? It's just my way. Yours might differ..
I think I’ll keep the 310 in case I need the bigger saw almost 60cc. I’m just torn if I want to go with a 50cc for my second or keep it under 40cc and light.

Why are people comparing a 261 to 3510? Not even same league or comparable. I own both and the 3510 is a gem of a little, reliable saw that does limbing well and I wouldn’t want to be without it. 261 is refined and the Mtronic is nice but I’m feeling Echo products more and more lately, the Stihls are just too costly.

I think I’ll keep the 310 in case I need the bigger saw almost 60cc. I’m just torn if I want to go with a 50cc for my second or keep it under 40cc and light.
The way life works is Every Person knows their business better than other people do..I love the 590 and my 352 and my 490. BUT I had a NEED for all of those saws. Your needs might vary a lot.. The 310 cuts pretty darn well with a Muffler mod and re-tune.. IF I were 65 instead of 75 and still climbing like I was at 70, i'd just have to get a new saw..Not that I don't want one but my house is small and most of the BIG trees that I wanted cut are already gone..Last year I did cut a HUGE Maple. It was hit by lightening so had to come down. My Grandson was in Irak at the time so I waited for him to come home. I used that tree to help teach him the proper way to drop a big ole hard wood Tree. We blocked it and now that it's dry it's REALLY hard..I'm splitting it with a wood splitter.. I'm not sure BUT I think it would have made some good wood wedges..The 590 will be pulled out soon because I am going to flush cut the stump..WHEN I can the 352 gets used. Once in a while the 490. If it's a downed pine tree just so the Sthil 029 don't feel neglected I'll use it to cut it into 10 foot pieces..BUT this 029 isn't a stock 029. She wears a 24 inch bar and pulls it like a Champ..Last year I was called to a house with a big pine down. The guy wanted it cut up. He had tried one of those small saws on it. When the 029 with that good bar and chain opened up he stood back and smiled. He wanted to buy it BUT I was not going to let it go cheap. So.. It's still kept up..As long as someone else is Happy with what ever, I am happy for them. Any saw beats NO saw..All saws are good if a person isn't in a hurry and can keep the chain sharp, tight, and the motor running. Heck I had an Old Poulan 2150 for years. That little thing cut good BUT no antivibe. I gifted it to a helper..It cut a lot of trees and some bigger than expected. Enjoy your saws..

Why are people comparing a 261 to 3510? Not even same league or comparable. I own both and the 3510 is a gem of a little, reliable saw that does limbing well and I wouldn’t want to be without it. 261 is refined and the Mtronic is nice but I’m feeling Echo products more and more lately, the Stihls are just too costly.
My original thread on all of this was best saw for limbing, the 261 was a very popular suggestion. I’m not really looking to replace my current saw I like it. I want a second saw (someday probably a third 😂) just trying to figure out the best route to go.

my first saw was a echo and it burned up in less than 2 years. i never really enjoyed running it, but it was ok as a learner saw. but the shop fire may of had a lot to do with it andthe insurance bought me a stihl, so i guess i cant complain. if you needed a loaner saw, that you dont care if it comes back, echo may be your choice

Well almost 74 and have ran a lot of different saw.
Since 2015 I've bought 4 Echo Chainsaws. Semi retired and don't run a saw everyday. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not logging. I cut a few residential trees that threaten property and cut a few cords of Firewood. Of the Echos I've bought only 1 saw I didn't like. ALL start easy. Run decent and after 6 weeks Being shelved with gas in them ( yes I'm getting old and lazy) they still Always crank. I don't recommend the cs310. Frankly it's not a value at 200 bucks when the cs352 is so much better. Don't be fooled by appearance. Compare the AV, air filters and yes 4 cc bigger engine makes a huge difference in small engines. Back in the day Poulan made a nice 60 cc saw the 380 Poulan Pro. It had AV and was a decent saw. The Poulan 2150 no AV gave me numb hands but mine was decent. At this time I'd never spend money on a cheap saw that could be applied toward a good echo. The cs590 is a decent saw and handles a 28 inch bar for that big tree every once in a while. Most times It's wearing a 20 inch bar decent chain. The saw that sees the most use is the cs352. My first one had a flaw. Not a big deal. Nothing the dealer could not have fixed for just a few bucks BUT HE DIDN'T. Any person clearing brush will eventually drop a chain. My cs352 wasn't a month old and a saw Brier flipped the chain off snapping the plastic Chain catcher. It broke off of the clutch cover and I took the saw back all happy to be quoted a price for repair instead of warranty. So that ruined my buyers joy. I repaired it myself and that's been a couple years ago and no problems since. Unless someone is using a saw to make a living working day in and day out my Feelings are Echo probably is a better deal than buying big Name brand saws. I still own some Sthil saws but never use them with the exception of my 029 Farm boss with 18 inch bar. I use it because I've got it and it does a good job. Tried to sell it for 300 to my nieghbor. He had a big pine blow down. He was amazed how well that saw cuts. However it's not stock. Changed the spur to rim drive. Very good bar and chain plus muffler mod. A very good Chainsaw. Well built. Not an every day all day saw but danged well worth 300 bucks to me. It's 54cc (I'm thinking) and the cs490 Echo is 50. There's no comparison. The Sthil smokes the Echo 50 cc saw. But price wise the Echo is a lot cheaper. Just my opinion. Feel free to voice yours.
Yeah, Echo. Only a couple months into my slightly used CS590 but this saw rocks my world! Big step up from a box store Poulain. Bought it from a saw jockey who has a love affair with Stihl so he wanted no part of it. Had a dull chain and I didn’t know how to start it without flooding but once I got those two things figured out it’s been a joy to use. I only have a 20” bar, which is fine for me. Interested in how it handles bigger bars.

Yeah, Echo. Only a couple months into my slightly used CS590 but this saw rocks my world! Big step up from a box store Poulain. Bought it from a saw jockey who has a love affair with Stihl so he wanted no part of it. Had a dull chain and I didn’t know how to start it without flooding but once I got those two things figured out it’s been a joy to use. I only have a 20” bar, which is fine for me. Interested in how it handles bigger bars.
Stick with the 20" unless your 100% soft wood. Great saws, know many that run the 590 and a few running 620's. 20" is a good size for its power in hardwood. Soft wood I'd go the 24" max.

My people are creamsicle people but I have heard a LOT of good feedback about Echo saws over the years. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it didn't look out of place in a sea of light gray and orange...
No doubt Echo makes good stuff. Lack of saw shops carrying them, little to no exposure in the pro market and dated designs is what holds them back.

Back