Edging slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
So you are using a worm drive, they are cool for framing. Can you not just snap a chalk line on the board and cut it, I can cut using a chalkline pretty good, like never out an 1/8, not even a 1/16 if I take my time. Chalkline, like $10 with chalk, try it.
Thats what I do, then to the tablesaw. Nice thing about this method is when I snap the line I follow a grain on the best edge and the rest of the rips avoid any diagonal-grain boards.
Russell
PS Did that make any sense?

No it didn't make any sense, a skilsaw is just a table saw with a tiny table, why the table saw as well?

clearance said:
No it didn't make any sense, a skilsaw is just a table saw with a tiny table, why the table saw as well?

He's talking about ripping the boards to final width on a table saw after he straight-lines them with the skilsaw.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
He's talking about ripping the boards to final width on a table saw after he straight-lines them with the skilsaw.
Thanks-jeeze I havent even had any beer yet. Though the tablesaw gives a truer cut,at 12'-16' some of the planks are kinda heavy to manhandle on the tablesaw, so I rip with a skilsaw (actually a bosch tophandle wormdrive-love it) somewhere in the middle, ie- if I'm making 6" boards and my slab is 19" at one end and 23" at the other I'll measure 3" from the center of each end, and rip that with the hand saw, then tablesaw the other cuts. Better?
Russell

Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you cut them to final width with a skilsaw? Its a board and batt hippie shack, what is the big deal? Not being a knob here, framed many houses, used table saws, skilsaws, radial arm saws, but a skilsaw will do it all, maybe not as nice or fast but still.

Still rattling the carridge idea. For my gig I'm thinking I might be better off to set up a gas engine tablesaw(homebrew one) where I have my mill and do the ripping while I wait for the 090 to do its job on the log (in 20" softwood its 10-15 min for a 16' pass). As it is I haul the slabs to the shop- bout 500' down the driveway.

poleframer said:
Still rattling the carridge idea. For my gig I'm thinking I might be better off to set up a gas engine tablesaw(homebrew one) where I have my mill and do the ripping while I wait for the 090 to do its job on the log (in 20" softwood its 10-15 min for a 16' pass). As it is I haul the slabs to the shop- bout 500' down the driveway.

Yikes! 15 min.! Man you slow! My 084 blows through 40" softwood faster than that! :D (well not right now):bang:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
It is less than that, I timed one a couple logs ago at 6.5 min, I'm dont time my work at home (that would be depressing). Seems like I could edge the slab while the mill is running and still be close enough to adjust the carridge speed, or deal with the saw if I need to.
Whats :buttkick: about? aint here to:sword:
:cheers:

I square up into a cant and turn often to get the best grade of lumber. It takes a little longer but the finshed boards are alot liter to move than a full slab.

poleframer said:
It is less than that, I timed one a couple logs ago at 6.5 min, I'm dont time my work at home (that would be depressing). Seems like I could edge the slab while the mill is running and still be close enough to adjust the carridge speed, or deal with the saw if I need to.
Whats :buttkick: about? aint here to:sword:

Just razzin' ya' man. The:buttkick: should have been a :bang: .(fixed) In reality my 084 ain't doing a darn thing for now. Dr. Dean should be fixin' her up real good though.

Thanx mang, plenty of :bang: here (property lawsuit, etc.) Would like to upgrade the mill, and I will, but fer now watchin the sawdust fly is sure enough soothing to me!:yoyo:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

For the cedar grapestake slats the plan was to run the 2" thick slabs thru a tablesaw to make 2"x2" board that could then be run thru the tablesaw again on a 45 degree angle to make the triangular grapestakes. Bad idea. Not only was it unruly to handle the slabs, but it was threatening to burn up my tablesaw.

What I ended up doing was using a straightedge to layout the 2" wide cuts on the slabs and ripping them freehand with a reconditioned Skilsaw (wormdrive). (You can't hardly beat a wormdrive saw for low-end ripping torque and control.) Once they were ripped with the wormdrive into 2"x2", then they could be run thru the tablesaw to split them on the 45. The final step was to cut them to length and dogear (sharpen) the grapestakes using a chopsaw.

So the sequence to go from a cedar log to a finished 2"x2"x6' triangular grapestake ready to nail as a fenceboard was as follows:

1) quarter log with sledge and splitting wedges (I needed to do this to move the big logs to where I could work on them)
2) slab to thickness with chainsaw mill
3) rip to width with wormdrive saw
4) 45 with tablesaw
5) cut to length with chopsaw
6) dogear(sharpen) with chopsaw

Here's how i do it, no electricity needed... :)

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

And it sure works good!

"Ok", go ahead and beat up on me now, because i spent my money on something that MAKES ME MONEY....

Rob

My Sawmill Pictures: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4378744

Sawyer Rob said:
Ok", go ahead and beat up on me now, because i spent my money on something that MAKES ME MONEY....
No argue there, I've said it before, say it again- context. I've spent thousands on equipment that lasted one season (case in point, several $500 measuring rods for Forest Service EP measurment contracts-on an average day we cleared 5 bills each for two guys, other contracts have required expensive software).
If its what ya do for a living, ya gotta spend $ to make $.
On the other hand, beer and fun costs too, go figure.
Milling and fab is a hobby (kind of) for me. I'm just the sort who would look at pics (more please) and bust out the torches and welder in the evening for fun.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sawyer Rob said:
"Ok", go ahead and beat up on me now,
as requested...

I think that machine is a total waste of money and you are a complete moron for buying it! Your only salvation is to immediate cease any use of this machine, place it in a large crate and freight it to me! Only then will you regain any respect amongst the members here at AS.:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously- nice machine. If you are serious about doing something, you got to have the right tools to do the job.

If you were to make a guess, how much did it increase your productivity? Any idea how long it will take to pay for itself?

Last edited:
Sawyer Rob said:
Here's how i do it, no electricity needed... :)

And it sure works good!

"Ok", go ahead and beat up on me now, because i spent my money on something that MAKES ME MONEY....

Rob

Um, that still wouldn't give you 2"x2" ripped on the diagonal into triangular grapestakes and 'sharpened' on one end....no matter how much you paid for it. All it gives you is boards.

Here's what you're going for...one of these:

cedar_fence5.JPG

coveredinsap said:
Um, that still wouldn't give you 2"x2" ripped on the diagonal into triangular grapestakes and 'sharpened' on one end....no matter how much you paid for it. All it gives you is boards.

Here's what you're going for...one of these:

cedar_fence5.JPG

I dont think he was replying to you. He was replying to the thread.

Latest posts

Back