Edging slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo... how many boards will it rip out of how wide a slab? How many blades, do they adjust independently? I suppose it power feeds like a planer, how do you line up the rips, eyeball it? (I expect it has guages tho). Can ya pop the cover and take a couple a pics???:blob2:
I pretty much mill for my use. Do you sell your wood, or make products with it?
If ya feel like talkin up yer sawmilling routine, this is the place.
Russell

Sawyer Rob said:
"Ok", go ahead and beat up on me now, because i spent my money on something that MAKES ME MONEY....
Nice piece of equipment, I too would like to know as poleframer how the thing works as far as lining up the edges of your boards etc. As for spending money to make money, sheeeeesh... take a look in my woodshop. Thats the ONLY way I can justify all those chrome and steel toys, they gotta pay for themselves eventually. In my case, since I am only doing the woodworking business part time until I can retire and go full bore, it will take a while. But unlike 5 star hotels and fancy dinners, money spent on machinery is a bit more permenent. And hey, I get to play with them in the meantime :rock:

The way the edger works is, there is one fixed and one movable blade in it. You decide what you want out of your flitch, reach down and move an arm to move the blade to the scale that gives that. Then eyeball down the flitch to a mark on the houseing, and push the flitch into the machine. It both pulls and pushes the flitch through, sawing the left edge off and also a board the width you set it. To the right, whats left over will come out and you can pass it back over to run it through again. It has a flip over fence for the second or more cuts.

It will saw out 2" to 16" wide and will accept up to a 24" wide by 2-3/8" thick flitch, and has plenty of power even in oak.

It's pretty handy to saw out 2x4's or 2x6's that i saw quite a few of. I set it on 6", and they all come out the same, 6" wide.

With a jig, it will saw out octagionals or what ever, but i have table saws and shapers for that....

It saves you money by being fast, and by makeing the bandsaw bands last a lot longer, by not haveing to use them as much.

Rob

Thanks for the post Rob, sounds like a useful machine, how 'bout some er,uh,...uncovered,intimate pics of it,maybe from underneath? Unless you feel I'm a wanton design copier and copyright infringer.:jester:

No secret to it at all, i've posted this pict. on line before....

Rob

picture.JPG

olyman said:
brian 660--no response?????

some of us have to work :deadhorse:

my lister was 300$ and the generator 350$ at a surplus store, i`ve seen brand new listers including shipping for 800$ for sale on the internet, after 1000 hours its dead and needs a 30$ rebuild kit, their about the most simple engine to work on.

Thanks Rob. One blade fixed, the other slides on a splined shaft. I like it. Hmm, small engine driven splined shaft, multiple blades. OK guys, how bout that on a carridge, hight adjusts like the chainsaw does.The trick would be dogging the flitch,or flitches.

poleframer said:
Thanks Rob. One blade fixed, the other slides on a splined shaft. I like it. Hmm, small engine driven splined shaft, multiple blades. OK guys, how bout that on a carridge, hight adjusts like the chainsaw does.The trick would be dogging the flitch,or flitches.

I thought I'd throw this in here...

What about those chainsaw attachments for wormdrive skillsaws?

aggiewoodbutchr said:
What about those chainsaw attachments for wormdrive skillsaws?
Those are interesting,never used one. I'd rather not use a big generator along with the saws tho. My little 600w runs the drill on very little gas.
I'm thinking about my kit in the cheapest way possible. The BCIs are cheap and replaceable (2 26' @ $76) I've done over 4k bf and their holding up well, havent flipped them to use the other 2x2 edge yet. Wouldnt take much to make sturdier,shorter sawhorses with better log leveling and dogging abilities. Two carridges light enough to mount and dismount by one person, one for slabbing, one for ripping boards. All made from stuff a guy can get at a small town hardware store, and sawshop, or in my case have sitting around.
Got enough steel for another carridge, mounting some 10" tablesaw blades on a shaft with a v-belt to a motor would be doable. My 026 might be the power for it.
Even with another carridge, I could load it all on my pickup in a few minutes, or put it away in my shed.

poleframer said:
shaft with a v-belt to a motor would be doable.

...or chain drive using a sawchain with cutters removed and a second rim sprocket. Might take less modification to the saw to pull it off.

Good thought. I tend to design in my head and in a notebook for a while before anything happens in the shop. Just added a cyl. to the tractor for extenda-hoe action. Been wanting that for a while, got the cyl. today for $25.:rockn:

That edger a few posts back does look like a nice machine. I have one that you have to crawl under and move a hub to change sizes of boards. have never moved it though. It takes 6" down the middle with both blades and it's arranged so that you can take 4 or 6 inch off one side along the edge of the table. Have about $500 in it.

Here's the wacky tractor with the extend-a-boom function (added the yellow cyl on top). Aint a big machine, but sure is a back saver, a few more feet of reach helps.:rockn:

poleframer said:
Here's the wacky tractor with the extend-a-boom function (added the yellow cyl on top). Aint a big machine, but sure is a back saver, a few more feet of reach helps.:rockn:

That is an interesting tractor. Looks like a lot of thought went into it.
Mark

coveredinsap said:
Can the boom of that tractor come back and strike the operator in the head? It sure looks like it can....hardhat area regardless.

Hopefully the builder is the only one who runs it, but I'm sure OSHA has been up his rear checking it out,come on, give him some slack!
Mark

I've moved V-8 engines around, set 2-300 lb poles to 14'. We wont EVEN talk about my ms200t handling, or my old saws w/out chainbrakes.

Latest posts

Back