Edison Motors announces their pickup truck kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/edison-pickup-kit
Kit to convert solid axle pickups to diesel electric hybrid, kind of a universal kit that will be up to the installer to retrofit to a person's specific truck. Includes a diesel generator, front and rear E-axles for 4wd, batteries, and control doodads. 500hp for 4wd, 350hp for 2wd. Supposed to cost ~1/3rd the cost of a new pickup, but he doesn't say if that includes installation or not. $250 to reserve a kit right now, projected availability September 2024. Sounds like for now the kits will only be available to certified installers, not for DIYers.

Chace says the batteries go in a toolbox in the bed, but where they actually go would be up to individual installers and owners to decide.

I'm definitely interested, probably going to reserve a kit.

Kit to convert solid axle pickups to diesel electric hybrid, kind of a universal kit that will be up to the installer to retrofit to a person's specific truck. Includes a diesel generator, front and rear E-axles for 4wd, batteries, and control doodads. 500hp for 4wd, 350hp for 2wd. Supposed to cost ~1/3rd the cost of a new pickup, but he doesn't say if that includes installation or not. $250 to reserve a kit right now, projected availability September 2024. Sounds like for now the kits will only be available to certified installers, not for DIYers.

Chance says the batteries go in a toolbox in the bed, but where they actually go would be up to individual installers and owners to decide.

Estimated cost?

Only guessing, you have as much info as has been released at this point. New trucks are $40-100k, so $15-35k, depending on options? Battery and generator size, 2wd vs 4wd, etc. Also no word on if that number includes the conversion, or if it's just a box of parts.

If we're looking at another $10k or whatever for their authorized installers to do their thing, and no option for DIY folks to buy + install the kit themselves, I think it'll fall on it's face. Too many very nice and very capable ICE trucks in that $$$ range.

1...2....3.... flop. Done deal. Here in PA, it would also need an enhanced inspection and be given an r-title. Trying ti sell a vehicle with a branded title sucks to say the least.
Pennsylvania must be even more communist than Illinois. Are you sure you are not confusing a rebuilt title with a salvage title? There is a huge difference

Pennsylvania must be even more communist than Illinois. Are you sure you are not confusing a rebuilt title with a salvage title? There is a huge difference
No, I'm not confusing anything. A salvage title would also have to go through an enhanced inspection to receive an r-title, to be registered on pa roads. Took effect in 2007. Any modifications result in a branded title, which are all reconstructed title with different brands on them. This specific one would receive an r-title with a modified from oem branding on it. Been doing enhanced inspections since they came out with it. Only modifications thay don't result in branded titles, is replacing with factory available components. Ie: gas to diesel, stick to auto etc. For whatever reason they (the dot) takes titles very seriously to the point of it being a pain to do anything.

No, I'm not confusing anything. A salvage title would also have to go through an enhanced inspection to receive an r-title, to be registered on pa roads. Took effect in 2007. Any modifications result in a branded title, which are all reconstructed title with different brands on them. This specific one would receive an r-title with a modified from oem branding on it. Been doing enhanced inspections since they came out with it. Only modifications thay don't result in branded titles, is replacing with factory available components. Ie: gas to diesel, stick to auto etc. For whatever reason they (the dot) takes titles very seriously to the point of it being a pain to do anything.
There is nothing like that here. When it comes to vehicles here you either have a standard title or a "prior salvage title". The state does not give a sheet it you molested a classic Ford with a POS Chevy engine.

You folks need to relax a bit.

Chace says the batteries go in a toolbox in the bed, but where they actually go would be up to individual installers and owners to decide.

Lets go.

There is nothing like that here. When it comes to vehicles here you either have a standard title or a "prior salvage title". The state does not give a sheet it you molested a classic Ford with a POS Chevy engine.

You folks need to relax a bit.

Chill. The laws of PA don't reflect Sean's personal views, just because he lives there.

Chill. The laws of PA don't reflect Sean's personal views, just because he lives there.
I am pretty laid back but that is the first I have ever heard of a state that requires a person to change a vehicle title based on an powerplant swap...................

Don't you have a diesel in your Toyota? Did you have to change your title?

Edison Motors is the only ones going in the right direction right now.

Their truck kicks the Tesla semi's ass down the road all day long.

I'd be interested in converting an old F-350 that only gets 10 MPG to a 500 HP electric truck.

I don't like the top speed though.

I am pretty laid back but that is the first I have ever heard of a state that requires a person to change a vehicle title based on an powerplant swap...................

Don't you have a diesel in your Toyota? Did you have to change your title?
Supposed to yes, but we don't have inspection here so I didn't bother with any paperwork.

Edison Motors is the only ones going in the right direction right now.

Their truck kicks the Tesla semi's ass down the road all day long.

I'd be interested in converting an old F-350 that only gets 10 MPG to a 500 HP electric truck.

I don't like the top speed though.
As I have said I am not all gung ho on electric but by gawd the guys at Edison are very bright folks. I truly want to see them succeed. I have never heard of them until they were mentioned on this site awhile ago. We need more home based highly intelligent folks like them. I am not saying they are what some call "hillbillies" but around here we have some redneck hillbillies that have made some high tech sheet.

Has anyone ever seen one of these..................

1702239551450.png

I just have to travel up the hard road about 14 miles to find a lifetime supply

Supposed to yes, but we don't have inspection here so I didn't bother with any paperwork.
So what do you guys do when you pull an old truck out of a fencerow?

If we had to re-title something every time you made a major change we would be broke. It costs $431 to title an license (1 year) a $200 truck here.

So what do you guys do when you pull an old truck out of a fencerow?

If we had to re-title something every time you made a major change we would be broke. It costs $431 to title an license (1 year) a $200 truck here.

No clue, I've never done so. Such projects aren't my idea of a good time. No title = I'm walking away.

Latest posts

Back