EFCO Brand - Please leave me your feedback!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just so some of you guys know, the company has had several names in the past. including olympic, olympik, and olympyk. unfortunately the olympic committee sued and won over copyright. i too liked it better when it was oly... but it is what it is.

just so some of you guys know, the company has had several names in the past. including olympic, olympik, and olympyk. unfortunately the olympic committee sued and won over copyright. i too liked it better when it was oly... but it is what it is.

Though I know the Olympik name through here, it sounds Russian. So does Emak. Meh.

Have more success selling AK's.

Oleo-Mac was founded in 1972 by Ariello Bartoli. THAT's what I'm talkin about! Bartoli Motoseghe(Chainsaws).

Also, Efco was set up in 1978, the brainchild of Giacomo Ferretti, now president of Emak. Ferretti Chainsaws.

Take your pick. Done.

Last edited:
My local dealer stopped carrying them to many horror story's from customers and the lack of support from the manufacturer.
The dealer i frequent has a good choice of manly tools which are very nice husqvarna,jonsered,poulan,echo,redmax and tanaka great place to shop and chew the fat with the workers and the owner who all have a bad case of CAD.

My local dealer stopped carrying them to many horror story's from customers and the lack of support from the manufacturer.
The dealer i frequent has a good choice of manly tools which are very nice husqvarna,jonsered,poulan,echo,redmax and tanaka great place to shop and chew the fat with the workers and the owner who all have a bad case of CAD.

I always love horror stories. Let's just look at how many refurbs from Husqvarna, Echo and others you can get. There must be a million horror stories on those too.

efco would be the sleaziest brand name ever, how low can you go, copying the name of the already sleazy echos and even offering the same sleazy warranty as well. echo no doubt are sleazing a retainer out of sleazy efco for use of their sleazy name. sleazy efco wouldn't have dared to call their saws stils, lawyers woulda hauled their sleazy a$$es over the coals

Last edited:
Hey, Pig, why don't you go back to your usual trolling and crapping in Echo threads and stay the f out of this one.

I don't neg rep often, but when I do it's well deserved, and yes, I enjoyed it.

efco would be the sleaziest brand name ever, how low can you go, copying the name of the already sleazy echos and even offering the same sleazy warranty as well. echo no doubt are sleazing a retainer out of sleazy efco for use of their sleazy name. sleazy efco wouldn't have dared to call their saws stils, lawyers woulda hauled their sleazy a$$es over the coals

Which came first, the EFCO or the Echo...? despite the name, there's no comparison between the two. A local arborist told me once, the uses Echo until they wears out and throws them away. Cheaper than buying good saws.

Ive neen running exclusivley efco's since I joined this site.

I heard of efco many years ago during a closeout sale on them at TSC here in ohio. They were yellow cub cadet commercial units. I started with the cubby cs5018 and then watched the cs5720 which is a 156 in yellow. BEST saw Ive ever owned. They had Emak stickers on them so I investigated who Emak was. To this day I still use a matched pair of efco 952 and 956 and I bought a new but strait gassed 156 that will soon be a 962....not a crappy 965. Want some marketing advise?? drop the 165 in favor of going back to the 962. That is the "sleeper" saw we all talk about in our wish lists. The 152 and 162 should be your flagship models. Im firewood dealer so I KNOW they hold up...except for a weak rear handle design...they crack. Ive never had to use that 5 yr no fear warranty. Good to know its there...kinda like car insurance. I now have about 12 efco saws. most running, the rest in boxes waiting to be brought back to life.

I agree with whoever said to sponsor nascar....thats no brainer in here in the us....thats like soccer/football to the europeans. 99% of us enjoy nascar, football and beer and cutting wood. Keep your price points below stihl as 99% of America is brain washed into thinking stihl and only stihl. So undersell team...and dont give us chinese crap like stihl is trying to...atleast not your semi pro saws. Cant call them Italian stallions if there made in cheeena..have to call them rice burners. Any who......cheers to the efco brand.

troll??

Hey we found a genuine.........idiot. EFCO is the original 5yr no fear warranty then 2 whole years later echo decided they better match that because efco was gaining market share on that warranty alone. I agree you are a troll. Can you climb walls and ceilings like in the movie Willow? Those trolls were scary.

Hey we found a genuine.........idiot. EFCO is the original 5yr no fear warranty then 2 whole years later echo decided they better match that because efco was gaining market share on that warranty alone. I agree you are a troll. Can you climb walls and ceilings like in the movie Willow? Those trolls were scary.

Feel free to express the way you see it.... :D

Blunt but to the point, there is nothing that I could add. :agree2:

Did some more cutting with the 952 yesteray. Nice saw, but the throttle really is just a tad to recessed and can be a bit of a pain when using the saw with gloves.

Olympyk/Efco/Emak...

This is a good thread and I hope others keep it going. But so far what it comes down to are a few points: does Emak want a serious presence in the U.S. market for their saws/outdoor equipment and the expense that involves?...i.e. can they find or build a dealer network and stick with it for the long term? Can they come up w/a brand name and stick w/that...and actually promote it? Can they provide access to parts for their saws (many older Olympyk/Efco's around and running strong but no parts available)? Are they willing to take on the EPA in all it's idiocy and hoops? (and make it easy to get around them? We do it everyday). Do they want to be known as the Ferrari of chainsaws? Why don't they put out calendars like Stihl does...even if you don't want a Stihl you do want one of their calendars (if they still produce them!)...
I'm hoping Emak is working on these things now but we have no inkling of their intent. This is a huge market and as well as they do in Europe they could tap into ours and do well. But it won't be cheap and they have to come up with something we want...brand name...dealer network...parts availability...warranty work...things we look for. How about a single on-line source for all these parts w/actual and immediate delivery for a start? We would flock to that. No indication of wanting to take on the big two yet here. They need committment and delivery. Nada yet. But they know the market works here and their product, over the years, rivals those already out there. I had a JD CS 52 that I sold (before AS...duh), and now have an Olympyk 951 that won't oil but runs like a banshee...I'm going to find what I need for it...but apparently not from Emak. At least not yet. I hope those that know how good these saws are will keep this in the forefront of discussion here.

Thought I would post this link on resale value from Feebay. Some know the quality of Emak most don't. Those that do will spend the bucks. This 962 had a tree dropped on it, case busted as well as tank/rear handle. $200 for a true parts saw. Too rich for me. Olympyk 962 Chainsaw | eBay
Shep

I really don't see why folks here keep saying there is a dealer or parts problem. Have you tried the find the closest dealer on their website? I like the business model where they put out the owners manual and parts sheets for free on the internet. Take the part number and put it into the search box over on Bailey's and you can see how much it costs. It seems to say 5 to 7 days but I have yet to order anything but a bar scabbord extra at this point.

First I got their 53cc brush cutter as my 2001 husky thirty something cc one is getting a bit wore at the end of the driveshaft and the aluminum housing bearing pockets so I got this one for a primary. It is amazing holds lots of fuel, different volumes seem to appear in different places. The harness is more complex/better than what I had. The bike handles are painted steel instead of aluminum but that is the only step back I can see. Now why someone who intends on using the guard and staying at that diameter wants that power is another issue. I have only used the string and the three prong blade at this time. I use the kind of wood blade you sharpen with a chainsaw file and the inertia in the blade cuts what I use it for.

I bought them all locally, next I saw this little case reed top handle 30cc saw. 132s I guess is the model. Not as impressed, but it is small I found a little spot it fits on the "floor" of the tractor. I really don't think this one deserves thier pro class label. The air filter is not impressive. The chain brake needed attention as it stopped working altogether and didn't seem to function in the inertia mode (while still working manually but not new unused) though I haven't tested it out after dis assembly and cleaning. I questioned the dealer who had a 65cc saw on the shelf about the inertia brake and he said right off they don't work like a husky. Amazing how much of it is plastic. The filler holes are small and instead of a thin braided chord it is hard plastic which doesn't lay against the sides of the hole like normal stuff. There is in the manual a picture of a metal fixture to attach a line to the bottom though I didn't get one and it isn't in the parts sheet.

Lastly I got the non extendable 27cc pole saw rated as pro class. After getting it looking at the brochures and parts sheets I see it the same engine is used as a string trimmer it gets the mid class not the pro. The hole in the carburetor the air goes into is real small. It is still oversquare but bore isn't too far from stroke.

Just talk but talk is there are containers or at least one brought in before some epa date so the 2011 catalog is all that is needed. Some of the stuff is made in china some made in Italy. At least they don't play the assembled in USA with stuff from around the world and put a make in Germany bar on it in plain sight. The baileys site seems to put the made in Italy logo on the appropriate stuff to help figure it out. The nikasil inside my italian husqvarna motorcycles has held up well whether that translates to these things can't be sure So I got a case reed, a longish stroke, and a monster weed wacker that can cut a circle at least as big as a push lawnmower.

Fran

How that 50cc string trimmer doing for you? I was thinking of getting it, but 50ccs may be a bit much because i manly want to use it with strings. Does it drink like a drunken pirate?

I'm using a 25cc jonsered now and its a bit underpowered at times. :msp_angry:

I really don't see why folks here keep saying there is a dealer or parts problem. Have you tried the find the closest dealer on their website?

Look at the map for NJ. I'd have to drive an hour and a half in any direction just to find a 'servicing' dealer. For sales? 2 hour drive. No thanks. There's 7 Husky dealers and 10 Stihl dealers in my county alone. I really would love to own an Efco, but I can't do that drive just to buy something. That needs to be remedied somehow.

Yeah, I can order new straight from Bailey's and then just buy parts locally. But I'd like to handle the item before buying it, as I've never gotten the chance to run an Efco before.

On a related note . . . I was skeptical of the Oregon PowerSharp chain before trying it. Now I like it (subject of a different thread.).

One of the objections people have with the PowerSharp system was the initial investment (MSRP $72), including the cost of a new bar and chain. I assumed that we would soon see these come as an OEM option on Sears Craftsman chainsaws, as Sears is big on 'features', and customers would only have to pay any incremental cost of the sharpening cassette and the PowerSharp chain over the conventional chain (same bar cost). Haven't seen them yet.

HOWEVER, I did see that I can get the PowerSharp OEM with certain Efco saws, only by a fluke. Happened to see one copy of an Efco catalog one day in one Menard's, and I am just saw geeky enough to read things like that. I like Menards for certain things, but the average salesperson there would barely know that they sold Efco saws, or the difference between them and the other saws they sell (except for price).

I like a number of the ideas posted. This is another example of an 'advantage' you have, but don't promote.

Philbert

To respond to the two comments above. There is a cub cadet/oil heat company just a few miles who seems to be a dealer but doesn't show up on line and quite a few within whatever distance I searched 06076. Though the 50cc and 65cc chainsaws and the discontinued 25cc pole saw are all that I have seen to handle. Baileys has that discontinued pole saw and the current extendable. I actually tried to get a price on the one I got pt2700 from baileys but kind of got hung up on, maybe disconnected.

They call Maine and get shipments UPS. Maybe the distributor for New Jersey isn't as energetic.

I wouldn't say the 8530 brushcutter is a gasoline pig. I only run it as fast as needed not full speed like I think the manual says. When using a string I am generally sort of close to the gas can but have gone on some real long voyages with the three prong blade doing what I couldn't get with the tractor and flail mower. I don't know if the hit against the ground to let more string out are better than years ago, I swapped the dealer for a manual kind. I got some stihl 1.05 yellow string I think with kind of sharp corners. It is rated for even thicker than that. The dealer tried to interest me in some device where you cut real thick stuff in sections and stick in. It depends on what you are doing some of that string stuff can use a bunch of power. Efco does have honda powered four cycle trimmers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back