Elastostart handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coveredinsap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen a few places recently where people remarked that their saw had an 'elastostart' handle. LOL! What a crock-o-sheet! It's a rubber handle for christ's sake.

What you can get for $3.99 (w/80" cord...$2.99 w/40" cord) at ACE Hardware, Stihl calls it an "elastostart" and sells it for $20 plus.
"Elastostart"....BwahHahahahahahaha! A sucker by any other name.....

You've got to hand it to Stihl, they sure know how to fleece their own sheep.

manual said:
Maybe you should research that handle before you open your trap.

Good point. I did. It's a "shock absorbing" handle. Just like any other handle made of rubber is.

If you've got any other 'features' of the elastostart handle, then feel free to share.... Oh, wait!!!...it's ergonomically shaped to fit your hand too! HAHAHAHA!

(!duped!)

manual said:
what handle are you comparing it to?

The rubber pull handles you can get just about anywhere. I got one yesterday at ACE...though I've seen the same exact handles at OSH, Home Depot, etc. They've even got a little metal insert that seats the knot.

yes I buy those handles too.
I have not found one that has "elastostart" features thats made to lesson pull stress.
Baileys sell one cord and handle for 9.95.
I'm sure if a person has tendinitis it would lesson the pain.
Could be just a better mouse trap.

manual said:
yes I buy those handles too.
I have not found one that has "elastostart" features thats made to lesson pull stress.
Baileys sell one cord and handle for 9.95.
I'm sure if a person has tendinitis it would lesson the pain.
Could be just a better mouse trap.

We're back to square one. What "elastostart features" are you referring to exactly? It's a rubber handle and a piece of nylon rope. That doesn't change whether you call it 'elastostart' or not.

inside that rubber handle there is a spring or a rubber groment to lesson pull stress.
I thought you said you researched it ?

coveredinsap said:
Good point. I did. It's a "shock absorbing" handle. Just like any other handle made of rubber is.

If you've got any other 'features' of the elastostart handle, then feel free to share.... Oh, wait!!!...it's ergonomically shaped to fit your hand too! HAHAHAHA!

(!duped!)

Sap I see your trying to stir the pot once again but you should try to stir it on something in which you know what your talking about for a change. That handle is not just shock asborbing it actually stretches so when you crank a big engine you get a super smooth pull and should it kick back the handle doesn't sting your hand. You asked for the features and there you have them. Those little 3.00 handles that your used to have one feature, its called a feature for dummies, pull the rope,lol. Oh in case you don't know the mark up on those little plastic handles is around 150-200% and the mark up on the elastco is around 40% so tell me who is getting fleeced ya big dummy,haha....

You know, sap, you really are an enigma...on the on hand, able to converse intelligently about some issues, on the other, a complete idiot.

I own older 066's and 044's with no compression release. The 066 is a pain to start. The Elastostart handle smooths out the pull action a fair bit, and is worth every penny of its price. Apparantly you were too engrossed in your Stihl bashing mentality to investigate how it is designed, and, thus why it is a great option.

Sappys just mad because he couldnt find a good handle for the old vibrating Altuna... Next thing he'll say is that the AV systems are a joke and over rated on newer saws...LOL

Now, this latest inanity from you, sap, raises the burning question: will you be man enough to admit when you are wrong?

Thats Why I call it a better mouse trap.
The compression over comes the spring in the handle thus causing the spring to bottom out.

Sap, you are correct in that both the elastostart and the Ace hardware handles are made (at least partially) of rubber. If you were to take a closer look and maybe actually pull the rope on a pro saw (doubt you ever have) you would see the difference. The elastostart handle is mostly plastic, save for a rubber insert in the center that is much softer than the handles you can buy at Ace, and actually stretches a good inch when you start pulling against compression, then snaps back as you get past TDC. Now, if you were to pull rope on a saw without it, and then with it, you would definitely feel the difference. The handles that you buy at Ace are made of a much harder rubber, and thus do not stretch nearly as much, if at all.

coveredinsap said:
I've seen a few places recently where people remarked that their saw had an 'elastostart' handle. LOL! What a crock-o-sheet! It's a rubber handle for christ's sake.

What you can get for $3.99 (w/80" cord...$2.99 w/40" cord) at ACE Hardware, Stihl calls it an "elastostart" and sells it for $20 plus.
"Elastostart"....
You've got to hand it to Stihl, they sure know how to fleece their own sheep.

And to think Sap that 3.99 handle you bought may have cost the dealer 75-85 cents. Talk about a sucker, go look in the mirror Sap , you have been fleeced big time. Sorta like those 45.00 chains you buy that the dealer pays maybe 10 bucks for. "BwahHahahahahahaha! A sucker by any other name.....',lolololololol

OHH OHHHH OHH

Maybe I could post a pic of ech style handle while pulling one over.

Then Sappiness would see the difference right in front of him....

BRB!

Freakingstang said:
OHH OHHHH OHH

BRB!

Steve it won't change his mind, he's got Stihl bash on the mind, soul and body. Funny part is he always yaks off about something he knows nothing about, typical Sap. Gotta love him though, with guys like him around I consider myself a genius. Funny how he brings up the word fleece when he's about the biggest fleecer in the country with those 900.00 hammer heads,:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Sad... sappies been off all week figuring his next move, and all he can come up with is a half-assed bash at something he knows nothing about.

He gets trashed for his expert opinion formed principally by googling, and then only reading the first line of the first hit. Looks like he didn't even do that this time.

Yes, a "complete idiot". :notrolls2:

Freakingstang said:
OHH OHHHH OHH

BRB!

There you go. Nothing wrong with Educating someone.
As long as they have the will to be open minded and learn.

Here is a regular plastic handle circa 1970's poulan 5500 with tension on it from being cranked over.

attachment.php

Here is the Elastostart handle with no tension on it: Notice the tapered rubber between the rope and the plastic handle.

attachment.php

Here is the Elastostart handle with much tension on it. Now, notice the rubber between the rope and the plastic handle. It really takes the shock out of a saw that doesn't have a decomp valve. I will have one on my Poulan 5500 here directly. Well worth the 15 dollars that my dealer sells them for!

attachment.php

Sappy, check out this thread. Maybe you could learn a little something. Maybe if you had a saw with some compression, you would know a little better. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32125&highlight=Stihl+Elastostart

-Steve

Back