Elastostart handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LarryTheCableGuy said:
Seeing as Sap had to flip us the bird with his soft, tender, well manny-cured nancy-boy hands I thought that I'd share MY bird.

MY bird is a symbol of freedom and of our great country. He was sitting atop a tree in my back yard late this morning. I heard him and looked up, there he was!

What is that, larry?...the a$$ end of an old moth-eaten stuffed turkey you tossed up into your very own Deadwood tree?
Cause I'm impressed......Bwahhahahahahaha!

coveredinsack said:
What is that, larry?...the a$$ end of an old moth-eaten stuffed turkey you tossed up into your very own Deadwood tree?
Cause I'm impressed......Bwahhahahahahaha!
Sacklicker,

Here is a better shot just for you. He sat there in my yard for the better part of two hours. You've probably never seen one or know what it stands for, being more familiar with the hammer and sickle.

BTW, I've noticed that you haven't had the spine to respond to why you pick on hard working, successful young ladies.

attachment.php

Eagle, SappySized

Here it is resized for the resident mental midget. Oh yeah, another pic for ya Sacky. It sure ain't a little piece of deadwood "good buddy". The top of my chimney is in the lower righthand corner.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
LarryTheCableGuy said:
Sacklicker,

Here is a better shot just for you. He sat there in my yard for the better part of two hours. You've probably never seen one or know what it stands for, being more familiar with the hammer and sickle.

BTW, I've noticed that you haven't had the spine to respond to why you pick on hard working, successful young ladies.

I've got plenty of nice things to say about your daughter, larry. Except I know you're just waiting to run to the moderators as soon as I say anything.

And sorry larry....your small picture looks like a turkey buzzard sitting in a Deadwood tree, and the larger ones, well, I stopped them from loading....as I'm on dialup.

Hey....speaking of your daughter.....maybe your daughter, being so smart, can give you lessons on how to resize pictures to around 500x350 pixels or so and under 50K in size. Ya think?

Oh, and the Deadwood tree...this is an arborist site, larry, so maybe you should get some advice on how to keep that tree from dying completely.

I'm not an arborist and all, but that looks to me like the bark beetles of some type are into it, and it's only a matter of time now before you're getting out the chainsaw.

coveredinsap said:
Oh, and the Deadwood tree...this is an arborist site, larry, so maybe you should get some advice on how to keep that tree from dying completely.

I'm not an arborist and all, but that looks to me like the bark beetles of some type are into it, and it's only a matter of time now before you're getting out the chainsaw.
Funny, he can't see the Bald Eagle but CAN diagnose the bark beetles. Amazing.

Lakeside53 said:
As for the potty... the saws maybe, but I'm not; I am quick with the wipes though and ... I can hear the wife coming from 100 feet away...

Thought I smelled somethin' sunday.....:cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
Anyhow, if she wants to put her freezer in "my" garage then :stupid: :taped: :help: :help:

Hope she doesn't miss the rack o' lamb I lifted......;) :yoyo:

Great shots for an S1 Larry!! I'm tempted to get an S3--would love the 12-1 zoom....but already have 5 Canon's...3 digi, a G2, Pro 1 and the new EOS 1D Mark2.

Sap, if that ponderosa survives the beetle infestation, it may live a good while yet. Of course I'm not up on the situation down there.

Larry, is the problem in Big Bear as bad as around Arrowhead?

coveredinsap said:

As I am just a Blacksmith, maybe some one could explain me this?

Can you tell the Bark-Beetles by being covered in sap? or is that the Dung-Beetle?

Larry, Cable-Dude,,,, that tree is what? 150 years old? If it is good enough for an Eagle, it's good enough for me! It looks like it may have only about another 100 years too go, slappy will be gone from here for 99 years before that tree dies!

RaisedByWolves said:
Hey Lake, Its tuesday, did you ever look at that lil homie?

Ah, the Homie Super EZ Auto....the first climbing saw I used....great in its day fo' sho'!!! And man, is that ever a purty one!!

If you still have it when I next come over, Andy, we should run it--against my Poulan S 25, another great saw in its day..and my bone stock unused 335 Cali....I'd not be surprised if the 335 was the slowest.

I was in Reintree tonite...did you smell me? Bid an 11 tree logging job....maybe only 3200 bf...but some nice clear butt logs.....other guys didnt know how to log...and gave an outrageous price--even said it might be over their heads...and the trees were all under 30 inches on the butt, with small limbs...with mostly a reasonable drop zone. Think I'll get the job..should take maybe 32 manhours to get the trees down and chipped, then a bit to help the self loader skid some of them to within reach....bid it at about $3200 total including log proceeds. Pretty sure they'll award us the job....

Last edited:
Yes, the bark beetle problem has really wiped out a lot of trees, caused by (as I'm sure that you know) years of drought. This winter wasn't too bad (lots of late season moisture) but last winter was a bonanza (the lake came up 17 feet!!) and we had a lot of monsoonal moisture last summer as well. The lake is now full for the first time in a long while.

Hopefully all of that moisture will help the trees win against the beetles.

The S1 is my wife's camera and she hasn't used it much so I'm trying to use it some and I've been pretty impressed with it!. My main camera is a Canon D60 with a Canon 24-85. I like it but I sure wish that I could shoot full frame with it!

I've looked at some of your shots Roger and you do good!! I like!

Last edited:
Glad to hear the big snows of the last couple winters are helping out the situation!

Thanks, Larry.....yes full frame is nice and the new 5D is tempting....especially for trees, as it would allow my 17-40 to be used to its full advantage. The 1.3 sensor on the Mark 2 makes it 22 mm at its widest....but, man that is one fine camera! I just shot some with the 70-200 IS and stacked teleconvertors..not bad! , plus the 300 2.8 becomes like 1100 mm with that setup....now that would home in on the eagle even more!!

Oh, to try to keep on topic...my Stihl BR400 blower broke its starter rope today, so I got to see how the spring loaded version of the Elastostart works....looks OK, but nothing like the rubber one. Need to head to the shop to fix it manana......Near day's end today (craning out 5 firs, and 2200 board feet ), a neighbor walked over, with a hickory shirt on....I about cracked up when he said he was now a lineman..after 11 yrs of logging....man he musta weighed 280 lb.....He brought over his electric blower which saved our day for the final cleanup!

Last edited:
rbtree said:
I was in Reintree tonite...did you smell me? .

Nope, nothing on the breeze...

I was at Bryce's puting all your filthy (no longer!) :hmm3grin2orange: saws though his big washer, plus a few more...

Should have dropped by and picked up your tripod rubber.

My pre-comp 066 with a lot of compression would dang near take your arm off if you didn't get it right. Elastostart fixed it. Haven't been bit since. Originally it had one of those that Sappy had bragged about...$3.99 surplus store jobbie. Huge difference.

I have to get one of those for my Stihl 076 with no decompression valve on it. I've suffered enough pain. Glad this subject came up. :clap:

Latest posts

Back