Electric chainsaw safer for tree trimming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be safer to use for doing work in trees?

*So far as kickback is concerned only* (I'm well aware of the other dangers.)

It seems to me electrics are quite slow as compared with a gas powered chainsaw.

For some reason I would feel safer cutting a branch at eye level with an electric chainsaw, but would be worried using my 18" gas powered chainsaw, and scared to death using my 32" 460.

Are they all just as dangerous?

Or if trimming the tree in the yard on the weekend, safer to use an electric?

i used them for a while but i kept getting the cord tangled up past 70feet. and my ground man kept pulling the cord out thinking it was a lowering line. so,after getting electrocuted a few times i just switched to a hand saw now.

They are more dangerous... they have great torque and can kick back and jump/skid/throw real easy... Bear in mind that like all chainsaws, there is junk and pro models. My experience is with a Stihl E20/E220. Nice beast, more suited for big beams and demolishing walls than "trimming". I you want to trim smaller branches, use a battery powered recip saw (like a Makita 18v). With a coarse blade these work great up a tree.

When I climb my trees to trim them I use a cheapo Sears sawzall with Sears pruning saw blades. Several times I got my hands full and had to drop the saw. Alot better than dropping a chainsaw. It's not as fast as a chainsaw, but then when I let go of the trigger it stops and I don't mind stopping to enjoy the view either. 3-4" is about all you want to cut with a sawzall but the blades last a long time.

I think I will stick to my gas power - I do use a hand saw for the smaller stuff or if I am not doing a lot of cutting...

I luv-em, cause when I'm not using it to cut with, I can use the extension cord as a lowering line or a double tie-in if needed. Great tool.

Billy Bob,

You need to correct your incorrect notion of what kick back is and what causes it. You seem to be under the impression that the bigger and faster the saw the greater the danger. A lot of it has to due with the front upper quadrant of the bar tip, torque and binding in the cut due to low RPM's. Go back and do some more reading about it.

I had a stihl 140 electic saw and I only used it 3 maybe 4 times that thing was way to slow and it was such a pain to have to drag an extension cord aeound with you. I wanted one to use where I cut firewood so I could knock off the branches or cut 2 or 3 inchs off. I just use my ms 170 now it is alot easier and I dont have to have a power cord. I have also used a skil brand sawzall it worked very well to cut the small branches off. I actually cut a 15 by 20 wooden shed down with my sawzall it is on of the handest little saws. I would use a sawzall before a electic chainsaw any day.

Electrics have so much torque that they can defeat protective equipment designed for gasoline saws.

They are nice in the respect that if you have no available electricity, you can plug them into a "currant" bush. Sorry, that was bad I know. :)

Billy_Bob said:
The sawzall suggestion is a great idea (and I have one).

Also I have a Stihl trimmer for which I can get the "Pole Pruner Attachment" which is a chainsaw. Following is a link to a picture of it. Anyone use one of these?

Pole Pruner Attachment (chainsaw) half way down page...
http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/interchangeable.html

They work really well... Great for work in brush and steep banks. I routinely snip off 8 inch Alder with these...

My g/f uses my Sawzall to prune some of her plants in the front yard, works quite nicely.

Many people become complacent around electric saws. My dad once nearly lost three fingers. He was working on the chain of an electric saw when branch hit the trigger. He said later that he didn't even think to unplug it.

up to ca 2" it is always easier to prune with good handsaw and not to rave with chainsaws :)

Simonizer said:
They are nice in the respect that if you have no available electricity, you can plug them into a "currant" bush. Sorry, that was bad I know. :)

I was shocked to read that one...

I'm glad I was thinking about thsi the right way......low RPM seems more likely to cause severe kickback since the safety manuals advise full rpm to avoid kickback. I've never had a small saw 12-14" kick back very much at all..There's your climbing or limbing saw....eye level is marginal with a chainsaw anyway...close to overreaching.

I use an 18volt cordless DeWalt sawzall. It works great. About the only people I see using electric chainsaws are carvers. There is a guy that lives in the inner city that carves with chainsaws. The only way he can do it without upsetting his neighbors is going electric.

The way I figure it, those electrics will wear out much sooner than a gas saw will, and the electric models also lack a chainbrake, which I wont work without on a saw.

Lawn Masters said:
The way I figure it, those electrics will wear out much sooner than a gas saw will, and the electric models also lack a chainbrake, which I wont work without on a saw.

The Stihl Electrics all have chain brakes... And as for life, they last a long long time. My brother-in-law uses the E220 all day every day for a year or more cutting beams and logs before they even need brushes. They tried "remington" and other POS $80 saws, and they didn't last a day. The Husky Electrics as were o.k. but the motors are a throwaway item (non-repairable) so they just ended up on the scrap heap eventually.

Back