Electric Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnuts

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My nephew wants to buy his Dad an new saw. He had some gas McCullough that died from lack of use. He has no mechanical skills. All he needs to do is trim small stuff, typically 4" dia max. He needs a pruning saw. I'm thinking electric is in order. I have no idea. Thoughts?

Both Oregon and Stihl have some nice battery powered saws for light duty work. may want to give them a shot

Cordless....awesome, never thought about that. He found a cordless Ryobi at HD, but I told him to keep looking, it's obvoisly too late to mail order

Any stihl dealer will most likely have one in stock. And two Oregon dealers by me have the Oregon ones too.

I have a corded Remington chainsaw with a 16" Oregon bar and chain. It makes 3hp and is very easy and convenient to use. It's not a big deal to have a long power cord attached, and it doesn't get in your way if you manage it properly.

My luck, if I had a battery powered saw, it'd die at the most inconvenient time and place. At least that's what happens with my battery-powered drills and grinders.

Last edited:
The Stihl battery saws, batteries, and chargers are incredibly expensive for what you get. They serve a purpose in areas you have sound ordinances, but they wouldn't be my first choice for an occasional user. A corded model would be more than sufficient for your dad's use and much cheaper.

I have a corded Remington chainsaw with a 14" Oregon bar and chain. It makes 3hp and is very easy and convenient to use. It's not a big deal to have a long power cord attached, and it doesn't get in your way if you manage it properly.

My luck, if I had a battery powered saw, it'd die at the most inconvenient time and place. At least that's what happens with my battery-powered drills and grinders.

My Remington saw retails for about $75.00. Bought mine (it was like new), at a yard sale. It was a whole lot less that $75.00 :)

The Stihl battery saws, batteries, and chargers are incredibly expensive for what you get. They serve a purpose in areas you have sound ordinances, but they wouldn't be my first choice for an occasional user. A corded model would be more than sufficient for your dad's use and much cheaper.

I've bought DeWalt and Porter-Cable batteries previously. They were costly, but I can only imagine the price of a STIHL battery. :dizzy:

My nephew wants to buy his Dad an new saw. He had some gas McCullough that died from lack of use. He has no mechanical skills. All he needs to do is trim small stuff, typically 4" dia max. He needs a pruning saw. I'm thinking electric is in order. I have no idea. Thoughts?
I have a pruning blade for my Saws-All, it cuts pretty good in 4 or 5 inch branches.
It's not a chainsaw, but it does cut good.

I bought a homelite at home depot a few years back and it works fine, Not as fast as that stihl but nowhere the price either. If he is just going to trim limbs every now and then. he don't need that expensive stihl. Think I give 50 bucks for mine on sale.

worx saw.jpg

Surprisingly these Jaw saws work pretty nice. Tried my neighbors and it it was impressive for what it is. Less than 12 lbs.- 12 foot extension handle.

Surprisingly these Jaw saws work pretty nice. Tried my neighbors and it it was impressive for what it is. Less than 12 lbs.- 12 foot extension handle.

They work quite well to grab small branches and cut them. You are tied to an extension cord, but they work as advertised, spiffy idea. They need a more robust gas powered version.

I like my oregon battery chainsaw as well. I haven't used any other brand so can't really compare, but it cuts well, the built in sharpener works, and they have a few different yard tools that use the same battery now.

Go Remington corded . They are not alot of money..and last a pretty long time . Stihl and Oregon are way too much money for what your dad needs by the sounds of it . Just my 2 cents !

For the job mentioned, I'd go for hand tools: a pruning saw or hand-pole-saw with one of the really aggressive blades, or a bow saw, or one of the Silkies. Always fully charged, start instantly. :clap:

Wow, thanks folks, great response. I found out that he generally trims the tree with a pruning saw and then uses the chainsaw to cut it up. BTY, it is for my B-I-L, who is my nephews Dad.

I would do a corded electric saw for the types of jobs described, plus the make great loaner saws. You don't have to worry about them coming back straight gassed.

I have a corded Milwaukee that still works about 20 years later. It never got a lot of work. Wood framing carpenters often use them to cut out bottom plates where doors go enabling standing up long walls. Works better than a sawzall or a hand saw but easier to go too deep. I see an attachment for a worm drive circular saw that is a chain saw attachment often used cutting sheeting with insulation like styrofoam bonded to it often attached to corrugated metal in commercial construction. Back then the wen ones were useless. It appears makita has a 15 amp one now but Milwaukee has dropped out of the market. I see 12 volt to 120 volt ac inverters are available for this size draw now.

Back