Electric Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooner

Reaction score
I don't NEED another chainsaw! Hard to stop tho. The local Big Box store has a bunch of odds and end of stuff on display marked way down.

I spotted a brand new Ridgid 16 chain saw on the table. Looked pretty well built. No box, no warranty, missing the oil filler cap and the chain. They were asking $35 for it. I offered 10 but was told it was just put out and they would wait and see.

What you guys think? Anyone find any use for an electric saw?

Ice sculptures.

I guess it would be good for taking down those indoor trees you see in some show homes :dizzy:

If you want it for the occassional light cut, it will work, but if you intend to use it a lot, buy a real electric saw from Makita, Husky or Stihl...

Use "Search" on this site - they have been discussed many times.

Pirate tree jobs early in the morning or night because of no liscense or just a moon-lighter. Or Al Gore.

I don't know about the big brand name saws, but the electric saws I've run or seen are nearly as loud as a small gas saw. Most sound like a circular saw about to blow up.

You could cut wood in the garage, stay warm and dry and even have an electric splitter. Other than that, too much of a PITA to get the cord out and strung, and that's if where I'm working is within reach of a cord, which it always seems to not be.

Same reason I got rid of the electric leaf blower, tired of dragging cord all over the yard.

Loaner

I got an electric chainsaw from a neighbor years ago and always wondered what I'd do with it. It has found it's niche as a loaner saw. Whenever someone wants to borrow a saw to use around their house they get the electric. Keeps the gas saws out of enemy hands.

in home construction/renovation we often use them inside to avoid the exhaust smell when cutting large lumber etc.

My dad keeps one in his basement for those chunks that just won't quite fit in the furnace.

Ever get a piece 90% of the way in and think you'll just give it a little nudge, only it just wedges instead of dropping into the firebox? That's an OH $%(* moment right there.

Remington electric chainsaw, priceless!

I bought a pile of parts saws at an auction and there was a Remington Electric Limb and Trim. It was the only one in the pile that worked. It has been used for a variety of things from trimming a rafter to cutting peices in the basement that didn't fit in the burner. My wife used it to cut a big old Lilac bush at her moms house. It comes in handy, but I wouldn't spend alot on one.

I don't NEED another chainsaw! Hard to stop tho. The local Big Box store has a bunch of odds and end of stuff on display marked way down.

I spotted a brand new Ridgid 16 chain saw on the table. Looked pretty well built. No box, no warranty, missing the oil filler cap and the chain. They were asking $35 for it. I offered 10 but was told it was just put out and they would wait and see.

I got my dad a new Stihl E220 for bucking his firewood and he hasn't touched his jonny 2141 since. He loves it. . I would recommend one for anyone who has very occasional and domestic use.
those saws have a lot op power for their size and start on the first "pull", so to speak :laugh:

Can't speak for the cheapo brands, but that Stihl rocks.

good thing about it is i happen to be a ridgid dealer so just letting you know in case you get that if you can get me a model of that saw i can check and see if that oil filler cap is still around and get you a part # on it and the chain

thanks
calvin

i very very very seldom see a electric device come in for warranty work here if that says anything to you

but we get tons of battery operated equipment mainly the batterys replacements etc.

Last edited:

I don't know that any of us NEEDS another chainsaw, but I suspect that is not really relevant to the equation. <can I get a Amen?> A small chainsaw ROCKS:rock: on a remodeling job, esp. if you are doing a tear-out. Electric is good 4 winter inside work, no smell. Every carpenter needs one, esp. when working with real intricate historic mouldings LOL 5X faster than a sawzall.

I have a crappy little Eager Beaver electric, it works but cuts real slow, as one poster said its great for those chunks of wood that just won't quite fit in the stove. I also have an 8" Remmington Limb 'n' Trim that has the nylon drive gear stripped out and is missing the drive bushing that it rides on, parts are available but I am debating if it is worth fixing.

I have a Husky Electric saw that i've had about 5 years, and it's a pretty nice saw. I use it in and around my shop, and it's really handy to have around...

After seeing my Husky, my buddy bought a couple cheapo electric saws. It wasn't long before they were both in the junk pile with stripped gears...

Rob

i have a little Remington electric saw. i use it for indoor work on my loghome. mostly for cutting floorgroves for the floor to fit into.

I HATE electric chainsaws, mainly because I need one a lot and can't find an inexpensive one that will work worth a darn.
I use the saw inside my woodworking shop at night, in a residental neighborhood. Keep big turning blanks and sections of trunk for turning, and use the elelctric chainsaw to trim the blank up, cut the section to the right shape or length. But it gets whatever bar it has burried in wet pecan or oak.
One doesn't dare push an electric chainsaw, for the motor will burn up on just a single good worthy cussin', disregarding wheither it was cutting hard or not.
They usually have the power output of a very small poulan chainsaw that has 75 psi compression and running with poor gas.
Even babbing them, they have a life expectancy of 2 months in my shop. POS:chainsaw:
That said, I burnt up 2 of them last year, and my latest Craftsman got a 2 year replacement warrenty. Used it first after Christmass last year and it died about 3 weeks ago. Sears replaced it tonight for another one.
Will see how this one goes. :greenchainsaw:
Rich S.

Naywhale - You need a Stihl or Husky electric. As much as I hate Stihl, I think the MSE180 will fit your needs nicely, and it has an automatic chain brake, something few electrics have. I also like the Husky electric with the inline design, its less fatiguing to use. The Poulan 400E isn't bad either, it has decent power. A 15A 120v circuit can give you a little over 1 HP of electric motor power, and 1 HP in the world of electric motors is a lot of power. The big Stihl electrics push a 15A circuit to the limit.

I got a Homelite electric at the dump - free - The sprocket would slip, which is probably why it got tossed. All it took was another washer between the nut & sprocket to fix it. It is nice inside if you have to do demo work that a good cut doesn't matter on. Much faster than my Sawzall.

We have a 3.25 HP Remington in the barn, it has worked well enough. what I don't like is that the chain keeps spinning long after you have let off the trigger.

Ray

Back