Electric/gas 37 ton Northern

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple way to check by pass

The simplest way to check for cylinder by pass it put a steel block by the wedge (something to keep the cylinder from bottoming out), extent the cylinder as far as you can, you should hear the oil going though your relieve valve. Take the hose off the rod end, start you motor and hold your valve in the extend position. If oil is coming out the hose your cylinder is causing the problems.

The simplest way to check for cylinder by pass it put a steel block by the wedge (something to keep the cylinder from bottoming out), extent the cylinder as far as you can, you should hear the oil going though your relieve valve. Take the hose off the rod end, start you motor and hold your valve in the extend position. If oil is coming out the hose your cylinder is causing the problems.

That's a good idea. I just need to find a way to keep from damaging my wedge when I do it.

This is absolutely brilliant. Can you point me to the ebay auction you used? When I finally get my splitter, I am definitately going this route. I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate the quiet splitting this spring.

This is absolutely brilliant. Can you point me to the ebay auction you used? When I finally get my splitter, I am definitately going this route. I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate the quiet splitting this spring.

This one would work for a 11gpm pump. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-HP-3600-RPM-115-230-VOLTS-SINGLE-PHASE-ELECTRIC-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ170152698345QQihZ007QQcategoryZ26226QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170136944444

Any motor that is a 56C frame will work. A lot of motors that are a 56 frame with a 5/8 shaft can be switched to a 56c frame. Ask the seller. Also if you have 3 phase you can use a 145TC motor.

sure hope you figure things out...

I'm almost ready to purchase a 37ton Nothern and sell my 35ton speeco. some northern stores are having a 10 % this Saturday. that's saving $180... getting price down to $1600

speeco works perfect, selling to gain four way and honda motor. but don't want to trade up, if nothern 37ton are having hydraulic issues.

sure hope you figure things out...

I'm almost ready to purchase a 37ton Nothern and sell my 35ton speeco. some northern stores are having a 10 % this Saturday. that's saving $180... getting price down to $1600

speeco works perfect, selling to gain four way and honda motor. but don't want to trade up, if nothern 37ton are having hydraulic issues.

I'm thinking I just got a friday built unit. Northern has been good about every thing so far. I just don't want to drive 45mins away if the splitter is ok. (45min away is the repair center) But after posting this thread and reading the replys I'm sure that somthing is wrong. I have used the splitter as much as I needed to and it has never not worked right, just hot.

After you get you splitter you will need nine gallons of ATF or Hyd fluid, a qt of engine oil for the honda and I would change the suction fitting out for a brass one. PVC is a no no I think. It is 3/4x1in barb. I put on a 2qt filter on but I'm sure the 1qt stock would work fine.

Be sure and let me know how you like the four way. I'm still on the fence about it.

Anyway I will be doing the block under the ram this Thursday or Friday and will post the outcome as soon as I know.

Everyone who has seen the splitter likes it. I will say it is a nice looking unit.

Last edited:
just read reviews on four way wings for northern 37ton.

was not very positive... complaints about front piece of woods popping off at high forces into operator. feedback indicates not good for large hardwoods, but great for consistent 12in logs. almost all my splitting is hardwoods... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...970&langId=-1&productId=200326298&R=200326298

getting four way option was main reason for changing. may hold off...
I'd need to purchase 37ton northern for $1600 this Saturday. then hope to sell my other splitter soon. don't need two splitters...

other reasons to upgrade:
1. 9hp honda vs 12.5 briggs
2. better towing due to larger wheels
3. smaller 5in ram faster cycle times vs 6in for speeco

Last edited:
I will say the honda is nice. I only pulled the starter cord three times to start it for the first time. And that was with the choke off. I never turn on the choke and it always starts first pull.

I have not towed it yet but it is balanced nice so you can push it around the yard with out any problem.

Cycle time is ok about 15 sec. The auto engine idle thing is nice you don't hear a engine running at full speed when getting the next peice of wood. When I was reading about it I did't think I would like it but after one use I don't know why all splitters don't have it.

Your Speeco should not be hard to get rid of. It sounds like the larger one they made. I could only find one used splitter when I was looking for one.

I will say the honda is nice. The auto engine idle thing is nice you don't hear a engine running at full speed when getting the next peice of wood. .

As much as I hate to admit it,Honda makes good engines.

The "automatic idle" is relatively easy to install.It's just a small spring loaded cylinder that comes off the pressure side of the pump.This method is used on a lot of bucket trucks .

just got off line with Northern tech support and described problem with 37ton heating up after one hour.

they immediately stated problem was probably a leak somewhere in fittings allowing air into system. system needs to be bleed properly.

they requested an immediate call to solve issues. could burn up pump and valve if not fixed.

they also clarified towing 37ton northern is limited to 45mph or exactly same as speeco. their explanation for Honda vs Briggs HP ratings is Honda is more accurate in HP ratings.

after speaking with Northern's tech. probably will keep my 35ton speeco. simply not enough gain to make trade worthwhile...

splitter etc.

That's a good idea. I just need to find a way to keep from damaging my wedge when I do it.

option two is safer-take the eye end out of the mounting and attach it with the pin to a cablew or chain come along, pressurise it and see if the ram advances with the come along-it should not, or cap the fittings with oil in the cylinder and try to pull the ram via the rod eye with the come along etc. you will need to buy JIC caps but its woth it to prevent oil spills in the event of changing the cylinder etc.

just got off line with Northern tech support and described problem with 37ton heating up after one hour.

they immediately stated problem was probably a leak somewhere in fittings allowing air into system. system needs to be bleed properly.

they requested an immediate call to solve issues. could burn up pump and valve if not fixed.

they also clarified towing 37ton northern is limited to 45mph or exactly same as speeco. their explanation for Honda vs Briggs HP ratings is Honda is more accurate in HP ratings.

after speaking with Northern's tech. probably will keep my 35ton speeco. simply not enough gain to make trade worthwhile...

They never said a leak could be the problem. In the suction line?

I bleed the system per the manuel. The oil does not seem to have a lot of air in it. :bang:

Mabey I need to talk to a different person at northern.....

Last edited:
option two is safer-take the eye end out of the mounting and attach it with the pin to a cablew or chain come along, pressurise it and see if the ram advances with the come along-it should not, or cap the fittings with oil in the cylinder and try to pull the ram via the rod eye with the come along etc. you will need to buy JIC caps but its woth it to prevent oil spills in the event of changing the cylinder etc.

Now thats a good idea. I can get some caps at work. I'll find a come along. Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

ummmm, you gonna break somestuff.

a comealong is a joke for holding the ram.

so, you are NOT going to generate heat if hte internal seals are shot inthe ram. you might lose some pressure, but not create heat.
if you don't believe me, stick a piece of wood sideways into the splitter, and run'er out. you can "feel" leaks. if you don't believe me, put a pressure gauge on teh push side of the ram. pretty interesting what that gauge can show.]
Mostly it shows it doesn't take much pressure to split most wood.

200 degrees is a lot of heat for hydraulics.
until you get to 200, don't worry so much.
suction leaks cause aeration, which causes loud annoying noises, burnt pumps, and foamy oil coming out the top of the oil tank.

didn't get tech's name. but she specifically stated a small amount of air in system from a leaking fitting will cause oil to overheat. leading to major damage.

They never said a leak could be the problem. In the suction line?

I bleed the system per the manuel. The oil does not seem to have a lot of air in it. :bang:

Mabey I need to talk to a different person at northern.....

didn't get tech's name. but she specifically stated a small amount of air in system from a leaking fitting will cause oil to overheat. leading to major damage.

dude, get her phone number, and explain to her how the tooth fairy can be found in your shorts if you suck on the magic stick long enough.

so, you are NOT going to generate heat if hte internal seals are shot inthe ram. you might lose some pressure, but not create heat.
Ah contrair Po Bear,yes indeedy it will cause heat.I've got a set of leaky cylinders on a 1943 D4 Cat you could fry an egg on. A leaky seal is the same as blowing oil through an orfice.

For what it's worth,detection of heat on hydraulic cylinders is an age old method of detecting faults on industrial machinery.Trust me on this one because I've seen literly hundreds of infrared read outs on machinery,with leaky cylinders and valves.

Wait, She ? Humm could be the same person that told me not to use ATF untill I read out of the manuel that ATF should be used over 70*.

Well, I tried the come-along trick. Did't move a inch. Also ran it for 30mins with out useing the ram. Still got hot. I'm waiting on the new valve from Northern and see how that works. :bang:

Back