electric hydraulic pump question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerrisDiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wassup Fellas?
I am in the process of putting together a new to me delivery truck for Firewood. 1990 Ford F-450 with the 7.3 diesel and 5 speed manual tranny. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the best electric hydraulic pump that would fit my application. My truck will have a standard 8 foot dump bed on it, and will have to lift a load of stacked firewood............I was thinking of doing a pto, but it seems like alot of work......any ideas would help alot!

I'm sure some guys know alot more than me; but I would get the largest pump/tank you can. Filling up a 4/5'' cylinder can take a lot of fluid.

I would go with electric pump.

Last edited:
Monarch & Fenner Stone are common snowplow pump power unit. I think Delta also has small ones.

How about the engine belt driven hydr pump with electric clutch? they go much bigger on hp, thus speed and pressure. But clutch is running all the time even if pump is disengaged. For very intermittent use, I'd look at snowplow/bed lift pumps. But will be very slow.

Last edited:
Belt driven hydr pump with electric clutch like they use on tow trucks with auto trans. would work great.

:agree2:

The electric 12V will be your best bet for an intermittant duty thing like a dump. The pto on my F350 turns so slow, I couldn't gear it up [not enough room] to run fast enough to do a good job with a hyd. pump. The problem with belt drives today is the serpentine belt system, there's no room to just add a pulley. Also, the pump is running wasting fuel whenever the truck is. I used a 5 hp engine, small tank & 4 gpm pump to run my truck crane. Works fine if you have the room for it.
log2.jpg

Latest posts

Back