electric powered buzz saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotedown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I am wondering if it would be possible to make a buzz saw using an 110 electric motor or am I going to have to use a 220 motor? If so, how many horsepower motor would I need to have and what rpm would it need to be? I am hoping to use a 28-32" blade. If anyone has any experience with something like this or any good ideas, I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Why?

You are going to put it away after each use? That electric motor is not going to like the weather. We have a buzz saw that the table tilts on.. Ran off of a flat belt on our Farmall H. Not sure of the rpms.. But I know it was one dangerous sob.My father and my uncle used to do the cutting.. Dad held the log part ,uncle did the catching.. Never reached across.. never..
It was great for small stuff 4 inches and under..

Bad idea - Small frame electric motors just don't have the torque to run a blade this size. A 30" blade, you probably want to turn it less than 1000 rpm. I ran a pto buzz saw for years on my 52 hp IH tractor, sawing off a 10" log, you could hear the engine work. Heck, there's a 3 hp 220V on my tablesaw, and I can make it grunt ripping a 2" oak board. With a 24 tooth rip blade. You need something with snot, not speed to run a buzzsaw, or you'll be standing there forever to cut 6" wood.

I run an old 12 horse Briggs on my buzz saw. I think the blade is between 26 and 30", but I don't remember now. It is the tilt-table variety and I can put up to a 12" log through it without having to turn the log. The 12 horse motor is enough with the gear reduction, but on the big logs I have to take it a little easy. For comparable power, I'd think you'd need at least an 8-10 horse electric motor, and I don't think you're going to want to have to power that. As far as blade rpm, I'm not sure where mine's running, but I could figure it out pretty close by doing the math on my pulley sizes. Dad ran a buzz saw for years on his B John Deere (flat belt pulley) and we set mine up for about the same rpm as he run his (by the hyperaccurate sound pitch of the blade method ;) )

i put a 220 volt, 3 hp electric motor on an older buzzsaw .... it spins the 30" blade about 500 rpm
it sits behind my house & i cut all my tree limbs up with it ... i have cut elm up to 18" round , by cutting
halfway thru then flipping over & cutting again... but mostly i cut 10" and less .... i keep the blade very
sharp & it cuts faster than a medium size (50cc) chainsaw ... after a 1/2 hour run time , the motor is warm , but not hot to the touch ... my wife and i will drive the UTV around the farm trimming trees & filling the bed
with 4'-5' long logs & hauling them to the buzzsaw behind the house ... not having to worry about gas , oil , or starting in hot or cold weather , i just flip the switch & cut them up ....basically turning junk wood into free heat ....ive probably cut 5-6 cords with it & the motor seems as good as new

These kind of tools will throw wood, and generally threaten you. Not always, but you have to learn how to be safe. Based on your question, I'd say you be careful!
N

started using a buzzsaw when i was 12 ...am now 58 ... ive never had an incident with one .... probably because i treat it as the most dangerous pieces of machinery i use

Why?

You are going to put it away after each use? That electric motor is not going to like the weather. We have a buzz saw that the table tilts on.. Ran off of a flat belt on our Farmall H. Not sure of the rpms.. But I know it was one dangerous sob.My father and my uncle used to do the cutting.. Dad held the log part ,uncle did the catching.. Never reached across.. never..
It was great for small stuff 4 inches and under..

I run mine on pto power. 25 pto hp kubota. I run it at 420 rpm. I thought a lot as bout
An electric motor set up with a heavy flywheel, maybe one from an old bailer

i built a good cover from plywood to keep it out of weather ... just lift it off when i run it ...
3hp might seem too low of power , when i put it together , i wasnt expecting a lot out of it ..
really surprised me how good a job it does

I'm curious, where do you live? Only a couple countries have 110/220v power.

Here in the US, we have 120/240v, 60hz

salina kansas .. right in the. middle of USA ... my dad bougt this farm in 1955
i moved about a mile away in 1984 .... moved back when mom passed away in
2016 ... lots of trees around here that keep me busy just limbing & removing ...
elm , cedar , locust mostly ... i also cut some osage orange because its about the best
firewood there is , but most everything else i burn is just "junk" wood

yep... hedge (osage orange) is just like burning coal ... that is one reason i
used a buzzsaw so much ... aged dead hedge-wood is incredibly hard & will dull
a chain pretty fast , and the buzzsaw holds an edge much longer .... the old timers
used it for fence post (still do) and post that have been in the ground a 100 years ,
are as solid as the day they were set

yep... hedge (osage orange) is just like burning coal ... that is one reason i
used a buzzsaw so much ... aged dead hedge-wood is incredibly hard & will dull
a chain pretty fast , and the buzzsaw holds an edge much longer .... the old timers
used it for fence post (still do) and post that have been in the ground a 100 years ,
are as solid as the day they were set
I burn about 15 cord a year of { Osage Orange} in my Garn and cut a lot of it with a homemade buzz saw with a 13 HP HF engine. I have cut wood with a buzz saw for close to forty years. Started out with a stake down one in the timber running off a flat belt and a JD G tractor.

I used to cut up big hardwood pallets with one. 6”x8” mains with full 2”x4” cross-pieces. I used to get them by the semi trailer load. Allowed me to sell every stick of firewood I cut. I always wanted to have a carbide tipped wheel made up, but never got around to it. Be nice for Hedge.

Back