electric saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a new 3.5 hp Remington electric saw, to replace the one I ran into the ground(literally). I of course only use it around my yard weather permitting.
I just used it to takedown a nice sized tree and cut it up properly.
My old electric was a 3.0hp so this was a bit of an upgrade; it also has a "automatic" oiler which I hope wprks better that the old saws drip sometimes system. This was not a bad buy for 85 bucks. I plan to treat this one a lot better than my last one. I looked online at lots of makes and models and it basiclly came down to price and availability. $85 vs $250+ for a stihl or makitta.
I know the priceiy ones would probably last longer but oh well. I can always mix and match parts between the two remingtons. Just thought I would post this incase anyone is bored or thinking about buying an electric.

It takes very close to 10 amps at 120 volts to make one hp. So, a 3hp electric saw has to draw close to 30 amps, and i'm not sure how anyone is going to do that through the 15 or 20 amp breaker that is normally used on 120V. On top of that, think of the starting load through the same line and also the loss' through a longer extension cord....

If you want to know the REAL hp of your saw, look at the motor plate and see how many amps it draws..

My Husky "electric 16" is rated at 1600 watts on 120 volts. 1600 watts devided by 120v = 13.3 amps.. and it's the most powerfull electric saw i've ever used.

Anyway, it works very well around my mill and shop, and i find it a very usefull tool. I'm glad you like your's too..

Rob

The Dolmar ES-171 16" Electric Saw is 13A - 1500W. (Makita has the same version UC4000)

We have had excellent luck with these saws

Steve

Actually, it's just under 750 watts per horsepower, then there's a small heat loss. I'd estimate that 1750 watts is 2hp.

I've got a 1/3 horse motor here that weighs around 15 pounds. A 3 horse electric would be one mean chainsaw!

Jim Mesthene said:
Actually, it's just under 750 watts per horsepower, then there's a small heat loss.

True enough, it does come out to about 750 watts per hp. BUT, with all the friction, line and heat loss you end up with quite close to 10 amps per hp on 120V for usable work...

It's a good way to compare electric motors, just look at the motor plate and see what the motor REALLY has for hp..

Rob

Latest posts

Back