Electric wood splitters, where are they now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawcircus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Talking about the box store units, the 4 to 7 ton splitters. I have seen several threads on here, but most are older. Just curious how they last. Do you still think it was a good purchase? I only burn about two chord a year, I think these may work for me. Arthritis is kind of making the maul rough "see not fun at all". I see our local Lowes has they Task Force for like $100 off after the safety recall. Sounds like a deal. Let me know please.

I wouldn't think the tonnage of it would be too much of a problem as long as the wood is straight with no knots.I can split for long periods of time and my pressure gauge wont go over 500 which would be about 5 tons of pressure for as long as the wood is straight.The big issue would be how long will the machine last because you usually get what you pay for.You could just rent a good one once a year.

Info on electric splitters

Talking about the box store units, the 4 to 7 ton splitters. I have seen several threads on here, but most are older. Just curious how they last. Do you still think it was a good purchase? I only burn about two chord a year, I think these may work for me. Arthritis is kind of making the maul rough "see not fun at all". I see our local Lowes has they Task Force for like $100 off after the safety recall. Sounds like a deal. Let me know please.
I have 20 ton electric and a 30 ton electric and I would not go any other way except I am going to order a 30 ton for my tractor and Princes pump for travel. The electric is do to noise have none. No body can barrow them they hard wired. The cost is low to operate. I get very large logs. I split one turn it off and go get another one so my splitter only runs half of the time. Oth of my electrics are in a building one is in a lean to the other is in a inclosed shop. I don't care what the weather is I'm ready. But as they say Every body is different. I do wrapped firewood year round I can't wait for weather to get good my customers don't care if it rains or not they want there wood in there garage at all times. They don't want water dripping off there wood either. If the tempature gets in the 90's I turn on the big fan and start plotting and wrapping. Comfortable. Bulk firewood people across the highway got the gas fired up sawing and splitting started pouring down rain had to stop for three days. You have to do what works for you.

I have a 4 ton Ryobi- 3-4 years running. I did have to have it fixed 6 months in- under warranty- Still works like a champ- just about finished a pin oak ( estimated to be over 100 years old) You have to find the sweet spots on some real knotted areas,, real bad pieces go into the camping firewood pile, But over all I'm pretty satisfied with it. Would be nice to have a stronger one, but for the price it's ok.

I have the Speeco 5 tn, wife got it for me a few years ago as a christmas present. I think she mostly got if for herself. We keep it in the garage in the winter to resplit pieces that were still too large. It has worked really well. I think the key is to remember what it is meant for. Start throwing 24" oak rounds through it, and I'm sure you will kill it. But for about 6-8 inch rounds and to resplit larger rounds down to size, it works really well.

Log splitter info

Come in to take a break I do not knock people for what the buy you get what you need I have what I have do age,area I live in, what I do, there are many factors in to log splitting purchase. One of my customers had a 5 ton electric to make wood for his fire place then he started buying from me and sold it. I make the size he wants not need but I splitter not the customer. He buys about 500 bundles a year. That's a bag of roughly 50 a month to 6 weeks at $2.50 a bundle. I keep 4 bags for just the size he wants. He wants it 19 inch long. My logs come in different lengths so every 19 is split for him. Save me time for chop sawing to 16 inch. Later sandwich and back to work.

I have 20 ton electric and a 30 ton electric and I would not go any other way except I am going to order a 30 ton for my tractor and Princes pump for travel. The electric is do to noise have none. No body can barrow them they hard wired. The cost is low to operate. I get very large logs. I split one turn it off and go get another one so my splitter only runs half of the time. Oth of my electrics are in a building one is in a lean to the other is in a inclosed shop. I don't care what the weather is I'm ready. But as they say Every body is different. I do wrapped firewood year round I can't wait for weather to get good my customers don't care if it rains or not they want there wood in there garage at all times. They don't want water dripping off there wood either. If the tempature gets in the 90's I turn on the big fan and start plotting and wrapping. Comfortable. Bulk firewood people across the highway got the gas fired up sawing and splitting started pouring down rain had to stop for three days. You have to do what works for you.

is that even english? ;)

I have been thinking about a small electric splitter for the basement. I start two fires a day generally, and that requires a ton of kindling, the sort that I can't just pick up off the ground when I'm done splitting.
I've been using the hatchet/hammer process but it's slow, noisy, and tedious.

Before you correct, review your own work. :wink2: It should read "Is that even English?"

:laugh: that was left there on purpose!

To the OP, if you only go through a cord or two a year, what are the prices for wood in your area? I'm thinking it might be easier to just buy two cords. More expensive after a couple years, sure, but much less hassle. Around here a cord of hardwood goes for between 120-200. Although some people think it's worth closer to 300 :msp_scared:

is that even english? ;)

I have been thinking about a small electric splitter for the basement. I start two fires a day generally, and that requires a ton of kindling, the sort that I can't just pick up off the ground when I'm done splitting.
I've been using the hatchet/hammer process but it's slow, noisy, and tedious.

This is exactly what I use mine for. I have a 27 Ton gas splitter I use to split large logs so they fit in my wood shoot. I then use the splitter to custom split logs to fit in furnace, make kindling etc. Works GREAT and best thing is my wife can use it as well!

This is exactly what I use mine for. I have a 27 Ton gas splitter I use to split large logs so they fit in my wood shoot. I then use the splitter to custom split logs to fit in furnace, make kindling etc. Works GREAT and best thing is my wife can use it as well!

What model do you have?

my electric homelite(just like a ryobi) will split about anything as long as its not over 21" granted some knarly stuff you have to work at from time to time but for
its size everyone who sees me run it is astounded by what it can do ,i think the biggest drawback is the slow cycle time more than anything .i have split many cords with mine
over last couple years i had it .green oak, hickory ,sugar maple doesnt matter it will bust it out with surprising results for what it is

Oregon electric FWIW

I was in the saw shop getting a part the other day and the wrench told me their regional sales rep came by for the usual. He was saying that that rep got to check out their new small electric splitter and after watching it run he bought the thing for himself right on the spot.

Latest posts

Back