electric?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gas vs electric

I think it'd because a gas engine's hp is rated for its max output, in new condition. An electric motor will put out its rated hp continuously, and has the ability to surge to a higher output when loaded - until the blue smoke comes out.
I like the arch on the dolmar mill. Looks like the whole mill raises and lowers for each cut. I wonder if the posts are set in concrete. They would have to be pretty stable to keep a good cut.

An electric motor that puts out 5 hp will do the same amount of work as a gas engine that puts out 5 hp.

I have the Logosol M7 with the E5000 powerhead. Rated power is 5 kW (6.8 hp). When comparing to a Stihl 660 on the same mill (about the same hp rating), with the same bar/chain, the electric drive gives almost twice the working speed.

Electric to gasoline is a factor of 2 or 3 to 1 .In other words 1 hp electric equals at least two or possibly 3 of gasoline .I didn't write the laws of physics ,that's just the way it is,"google" it.

I have the Logosol M7 with the E5000 powerhead. Rated power is 5 kW (6.8 hp). When comparing to a Stihl 660 on the same mill (about the same hp rating), with the same bar/chain, the electric drive gives almost twice the working speed.

Poleframer is correct, Electric motor (current/HP) ratings are also neither constant nor accurate. For example, my table saw is rated at 3HP (2.25 kW, or 9.4A @ 240V) however, by really pushing it I can get it to draw up to 17A (4 kW) for about a minute before it trips its thermal cut out switch. The most I can get it to draw without tripping for an extended period is about 12A (2.88kW).

What's actually stamped on the side of an electric motor could be any of the above. Most motor manufacturers are conservative and the lower values are what's used.

If you read my post it says "puts out". I did not mention rated, max or some other words.

If 2 different engines each put out 10 hp how much horsepower does each one put out?

So, which 10HP engine would you rather have on a mill?

A 10HP gas engine, or a 10HP diesel engine?? Obviously the diesel engine. Torque comparisons are night and day. I don't know the actual specs, but I'm guessing the comparisons are similar....

Ever wonder why mill manufacturers that put electric motor options on their mills use motors with about 1/2 the rated power that the top gas offering produces?

Last edited:
Gas, diesel, electric... whats best? Like I've said many a time- context is what matters. I use all of em. Diesels are torquey, gas revs better, electric has it's advantages- relatively cheap to run if yer close to a j-box -I'm off-grid and conservative in that regard (my own hydro-electric, love free power!)-but not nearly enough to play with big electric motors.
If I did'nt live so far out in the woods the 090 running for hours on end might cause adverse neighborly relations.

But I also would add that if you do yer engineering on the situation you'll want to keep the electric motors in spec. Otherwise you will be seeing the blue smoke, and replacing fried motors frequently.
Just remember- every electric device has blue smoke inside. YOU MUST KEEP THE BLUE SMOKE INSIDE OF IT! Thats why we have electrical engineers, and specs for such.

Latest posts

Back