Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Iwas just wondering do different species of elm burn about the same or is one kind better than the other?? THANKS!

Never burned any but it seems to get decent reviews. I suspect that you will see more of a difference between green and seasoned than between species.

Elm in general isn't considered a good firewood, but I've burned quite a bit of American, and some Siberian. The American is much better than the other. I don't like the smell, and it takes a long time to season. I try to stay away from it, but will take some if it's handy and close by.

Smaller stuff burns hot.(american) Larger pieces take awhile to dry, depending on when it's cut.

There's been at least a dozen threads talking about Elm during the last 3-4 months... do a search and you'll find more reading than you'll care to do.

With that said... yes, there's a big difference in the burning qualities of different species of Elm.

By far, the best burning is Rock Elm, followed closely by Red Elm (Slippery Elm)... In my humble opinion those two species rival Red Oak. The three other common species of native Elm are Winged (the original Piss Elm), Cork Elm and American Elm. If I had to rank them on a 1-to-10 burning quality scale (using Elm Only)...
  • 10.0 - Rock Elm
  • 9.5 - Red Elm
  • 8.0 - Winged Elm
  • 5.0 - Cork Elm
  • 3.5 - American Elm
  • 1.1 - Siberian Elm
  • 1.0 - Chinese Elm

There's been at least a dozen threads talking about Elm during the last 3-4 months... do a search and you'll find more reading than you'll care to do.

With that said... yes, there's a big difference in the burning qualities of different species of Elm.

By far, the best burning is Rock Elm, followed closely by Red Elm (Slippery Elm)... In my humble opinion those two species rival Red Oak. The three other common species of native Elm are Winged (the original Piss Elm), Cork Elm and American Elm. If I had to rank them on a 1-to-10 burning quality scale (using Elm Only)...
  • 10.0 - Rock Elm
  • 9.5 - Red Elm
  • 8.0 - Winged Elm
  • 5.0 - Cork Elm
  • 3.5 - American Elm
  • 1.1 - Siberian Elm
  • 1.0 - Chinese Elm

I have a little Red Elm in my stash for next winter. I didn't seek it out, but a utility cut it up about a block from my house, so I took all the property owner would give me. I figured it'd be similar to but not quite the heat equivalent of black cherry from what I've read. Seems plenty good enough to burn if you let it dry properly. What are the hardest woods you normally burn, Whitespider?

smelly wood

I'm burning some right now. It really doesn't burn well, it flashes up at first then just sits there consuming the heat energy from the coals. I don't like it. Sweetgum is burning better than the elm is.
elm has a smell you need to adjust to.
I'm not getting much heat out of it at all. Been down over six months now, been opened up for nearly three. May be better for next burn season, but I ain't holing my breaf...

What are the hardest woods you normally burn, Whitespider?

Normally burn? Well this year I heated my home near 100% with wood... but I had no wood cut or split last fall, I've been cutting standing-dead and blow-downs all winter. Most all of that was Elm... Rock, Red and American.

Normally I burn Oak, with Bur Oak being the most plentiful 'round here followed by Red, White and Northern Pin... in that order. Bur Oak is in the White Oak family, not the perfect equal of White Oak, but better than Red Oak for burning.

Probably the the "hardest" I've burned is Iron Wood [Ostrya virginiana] (a.k.a. Hop Hornbeam, Lever Wood, and I believe in your part of the country it's called Hard Hack). Also get some Hickory, Mulberry, Sugar Maple, Cherry, and Black Walnut... plus a bunch of other "lesser" types...

Normally burn? Well this year I heated my home near 100% with wood... but I had no wood cut or split last fall, I've been cutting standing-dead and blow-downs all winter. Most all of that was Elm... Rock, Red and American.

Normally I burn Oak, with Bur Oak being the most plentiful 'round here followed by Red, White and Northern Pin... in that order. Bur Oak is in the White Oak family, not the perfect equal of White Oak, but better than Red Oak for burning.

Probably the the "hardest" I've burned is Iron Wood [Ostrya virginiana] (a.k.a. Hop Hornbeam, Lever Wood, and I believe in your part of the country it's called Hard Hack). Also get some Hickory, Mulberry, Sugar Maple, Cherry, and Black Walnut... plus a bunch of other "lesser" types...

If you like the Red Elm and Rock Elm that much after burning all that Oak, then I am looking forward to getting my Red Elm seasoned out to burn as well. Like I said, I just got it because it was free and sitting beside the road close enough to spit on it from my back porch! Might turn out to be some good stuff, huh?

I don't remember ever cutting live/green Red Elm... because of Dutch Elm Disease there isn't any reason I've needed to. Because the disease hit Iowa somewhat later than out east way, we've still got thousands of standing-dead 'round here. The Red Elm I've burned has been several years seasoning, standing without bark... sounds like two Baseball Bats when you whack pieces together. Just make sure it's good and dry or it'll most likely stink to high heaven when you burn it.

I don't remember ever cutting live/green Red Elm... because of Dutch Elm Disease there isn't any reason I've needed to. Because the disease hit Iowa somewhat later than out east way, we've still got thousands of standing-dead 'round here. The Red Elm I've burned has been several years seasoning, standing without bark... sounds like two Baseball Bats when you whack pieces together. Just make sure it's good and dry or it'll most likely stink to high heaven when you burn it.

Yep, I'm sure!

How long would you guys let red elm season? Mine was live when cut, so I know it's going to take longer to dry. Inside it was wet as all heck when I split it!

Some of the best firewood IMO. I burn mostly Oak, but when I find a barkless Red Elm, I get excited :msp_smile:

Absolutely. Not much of it left around here though. Dutch elm disease hit hard around here in late 60's. 25 years ago the woods were full of standing dead red elm. When it was plentiful it was my first choice for firewood. Don't remember that it smelled bad when burning, but maybe it did. It actually had a pleasant smell when cut.

Absolutely. Not much of it left around here though. Dutch elm disease hit hard around here in late 60's. 25 years ago the woods were full of standing dead red elm. When it was plentiful it was my first choice for firewood. Don't remember that it smelled bad when burning, but maybe it did. It actually had a pleasant smell when cut.
I've burn a lot of Red Elm and never notice a bad smell. Not much around here anymore either.

Red Elm #1

Some of the best firewood IMO. I burn mostly Oak, but when I find a barkless Red Elm, I get excited :msp_smile:
+1. Barkless red elm cannot be beaten as a firewood, and it dries in a under a year. When the rounds are half dry, it even splits nicely. The thick bark, BTW, makes good kindling.

The problem is that red elm is becoming as rare as a hen's teeth.

Back