Energymate wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMichael

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
20150219_112253.jpg 20150219_112306.jpg 20150219_112319.jpg 20150219_112335.jpg
Hello there!
I have an energymate as pictured above. I am having trouble getting a temp in my house above 70. It usually floats around 68. My burner is tied into my duct work. I have a ranch home of about 18o0 sf, well insulated. Im burning oak, cherry, and walnut with a humidity level of 19-20%. My stack temp is only floating around 230-240. The burner furnace blower fan pushes the air through the house. The forced air furnace does not run during burning. I have a new stack exhaust pipe from the burner to the flue and i have a new chimney liner as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Your flew temp seems low. More combustion air needed, smaller splits and temps should rise. Possibly a restricted flue?

Your flew temp seems low. More combustion air needed, smaller splits and temps should rise. Possibly a restricted flue?
I can't tell where the air enters your combustion air fan. The left side of the fan looks blocked off?? Check any combustion air passages for ash blockage. Is the fan up to speed? Bearings good?
Did the furnace ever work in this installation? One side of the furnace looks like it must have got very hot at one time.
Is there a heat exchanger passage inside that could be plugged?
If it is just sooted up it normally would cause a higher than normal stack temp.
What is your plenum air temp inside the top of the plenum?
I have a hot air wood furnace and lots of experience with it.

Is that an internal or external temp? If external it is a lil low, if it is internal it is WAY low!
It is an internal magnetic thermometer on the flue stack pipe. It gets up to about 250-275 sometimes but usually hovers around the minimal safe burn of 230.

I can't tell where the air enters your combustion air fan. The left side of the fan looks blocked off?? Check any combustion air passages for ash blockage. Is the fan up to speed? Bearings good?
Did the furnace ever work in this installation? One side of the furnace looks like it must have got very hot at one time.
Is there a heat exchanger passage inside that could be plugged?
If it is just sooted up it normally would cause a higher than normal stack temp.
What is your plenum air temp inside the top of the plenum?
I have a hot air wood furnace and lots of experience with it.
I sometimes close the draft inducer fan (on front) to just a minimal to allow my wood to last longer. The fan is 12 months old and works great. I took apart the stack into the furnace plenum to check air flow and it seems good. The stack has a 45 elbow in the plenum to allow an automatic updraft into the duct work. I dont run the furnace fan because all it does is cool the burner heat that runs into the plenum. My thermometer says that on the heat stack is only 150 at best (guessing on that). I dont think there is a heat exchanger. I also checked the draft that comes from my intake fan behind the burner from my cold air returns and that works great. My stove burns pretty hot. I can keep a bed of hot coals in the stove all day between wood feeds.
I have been measuring my wood humidity but the wood i am burning may not be the best. I am buying true seasoned wood tomorrow from a friend. I want to try that to see if that may be the simple problem to fix. Thanks so much for your help!

Where would i find the heat exchanger passage in my burner?

Wow that's a moldy oldy . Have you considered upgrading to a modern unit

It was here when we bought our house 3 years ago. at least from 1976 when the house was built. This is my 2nd season burning and still part time at best.

I sometimes close the draft inducer fan (on front) to just a minimal to allow my wood to last longer. The fan is 12 months old and works great. I took apart the stack into the furnace plenum to check air flow and it seems good. The stack has a 45 elbow in the plenum to allow an automatic updraft into the duct work. I dont run the furnace fan because all it does is cool the burner heat that runs into the plenum. My thermometer says that on the heat stack is only 150 at best (guessing on that). I dont think there is a heat exchanger. I also checked the draft that comes from my intake fan behind the burner from my cold air returns and that works great. My stove burns pretty hot. I can keep a bed of hot coals in the stove all day between wood feeds.
I have been measuring my wood humidity but the wood i am burning may not be the best. I am buying true seasoned wood tomorrow from a friend. I want to try that to see if that may be the simple problem to fix. Thanks so much for your help!

Where would i find the heat exchanger passage in my burner?
I have an 1800 sf ranch. I am not pushing too much heat to the farthest end of the house. Can I upgrade my fan to a bigger one? How can I tell if it is adequate?

View attachment 405205 View attachment 405206 View attachment 405207 View attachment 405208
Hello there!
I have an energymate as pictured above. I am having trouble getting a temp in my house above 70. It usually floats around 68. My burner is tied into my duct work. I have a ranch home of about 18o0 sf, well insulated. Im burning oak, cherry, and walnut with a humidity level of 19-20%. My stack temp is only floating around 230-240. The burner furnace blower fan pushes the air through the house. The forced air furnace does not run during burning. I have a new stack exhaust pipe from the burner to the flue and i have a new chimney liner as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I have this exact same furnace, but the blower fans are missing as well as the thermostat doesn't seem to be working. Does yours have any model numbers?

Back