Engine Degreaser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a well used 046 Magnum to clean up before a re-ring job. What's the best degreaser to use? I tried a degreasing spray from the hardware store and wasn't very impressed. Anyone every used regular engine degreaser?

Not sure what you mean by "regular", but I just use Castrol "Super clean" (or generic brands "purple cleaner" ) diluted 4:1. Spray on, hose off a few minutes later with the garden hose... "Foamy Engine Brite" works well also. Do it BEFORE you disassemble the saw, and life's a whole lot easier. Great prep for painting also as there is no residual greases left behind.

Lakeside53 said:
"Foamy Engine Brite" works well also. . Great prep for painting also as there is no residual greases left behind.
Do the stickers on the sides hold up to this stuff ok. I use this on my 60's cars to clean the blocks, but no stickers are in the way.

Cut4fun said:
Do the stickers on the sides hold up to this stuff ok. I use this on my 60's cars to clean the blocks, but no stickers are in the way.

yep... it's only on for a few minutes anyhow. And with Stihl, all the safety and info stickers are free, so just replace them! If you have covered your saws with Grateful Dead stickers, I can't help you..

Lakeside53 said:
If you have covered your saws with Grateful Dead stickers, I can't help you..
:hmm3grin2orange: Caught me off guard on that one and cracked me up. LOL.

Lakeside53 said:
I must have touched a nerve :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Nope just funny, all my nerves have been numb for years. Comes with the job. :bowdown:

Anybody ever hear of "northwoods" chemicals? I use their Brute Force degreaser and it works 100 times better than Foamy engine brite, or any of the others that i have tried. It is made by "Superior Chemical Corp." I don't know about their distribution area or anything like that. I have a salesman that comes and takes care of all my needs. They cover most chemicals that are used in repair shops. Higher priced, but excellent product, and environmentally friendly too.

Carburetor Cleaner....The $1.89/can Wally World variety works great.

A gentle powerwashing, also. I use the local car wash, not my 4000 psi paint stripper.... Also leaves the grease and oil in their drain system, not my driveway...

Andy

Yup

Lakeside53 said:
Not sure what you mean by "regular", but I just use Castrol "Super clean" (or generic brands "purple cleaner" ) diluted 4:1. Spray on, hose off a few minutes later with the garden hose... "Foamy Engine Brite" works well also. Do it BEFORE you disassemble the saw, and life's a whole lot easier. Great prep for painting also as there is no residual greases left behind.
Hands down Castrol superclean is the best stuff out there for taking grease etc... off. When I worked in a oil/lube shop we used to use it to clean our floors. They always looked brand new when we were done with it. If you get it on any paint though, it's gone. You might want to cut it with water a little bit...

I use the standard Gunk brand engine degreaser and it works fine. The high velocity nozzle helps clean out the tight areas.

ciscoguy01 said:
Hands down Castrol superclean is the best stuff out there for taking grease etc... off. When I worked in a oil/lube shop we used to use it to clean our floors. They always looked brand new when we were done with it. If you get it on any paint though, it's gone. You might want to cut it with water a little bit...

If you don't cut it, you'll definitely damage the paint, any exposed magnesium and the shine off the plastic!! that's why I say 4:1, and don't let it dry before washing off.. ever.

A cheap degreaser

AWESOME I get it at the "everything is a dollar store" works wonders. For black sooty smoke like on the plastics. I use westleys Bleech white tire cleaner.
I used to have a 1996 yellow MXZ snowmobile. it always had smoke stains on the belly pan. Bleech white is the only thing I found to cut it.

I ended up using a can of generic engine degreaser I had on the shelf from Auto Zone. I worked very well. Much better than the detergent type degreaser I used before. The engine degreaser it more like a solvent. It did not hurt the plastic or aluminum.

Lakeside53 said:
yep... it's only on for a few minutes anyhow. And with Stihl, all the safety and info stickers are free, so just replace them! If you have covered your saws with Grateful Dead stickers, I can't help you..

ROTFLMAO

Latest posts

Back