Engineering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, this has nothing to do with anything, but I thought I'd share. As of last Friday afternoon I completed all of the requirements for my bachelors degree in electro-mechanical engineering. Man, what an experience it's been.

I've invested nearly 7 1/2 years while mostly working full time in order to get this degree. It's odd sitting here in my house on a weeknight as I've generally been sitting in a classroom four nights a week for so many years.

Just thought I'd share, to say I'm excited is an under statement, it's been a tough road to get through, but it all feels worth it now.

I'm currently working in a supervisory role at my company, however I am in the process of trying to transfer into a fully dedicated product engineering position.

The future looks much brighter than it use to, so happy I decided to go after this degree

Congratulations to you! I'm having a drink in your honour right now :cheers::cheers:

Completing any degree is hard work, doing it part-time while working a full time job takes extra dedication and commitment. I'm not really sure what a electro-mechanical engineer does but I'll bet you could design one heck of a fancy splitter:hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats on getting your degree finished up, and moving into a more engineering role.

Best of luck.

Most people don't seem to understand the work involved in getting an engineering degree. I remember working 20 hours a week, and taking 18 credits. Then there was grad school. Finishing up was a great feeling. :D

Congrats man! Materials Engineer here, I know your pain, actually might have been harder in your case as I learned it full time.

Hopefully you end up using it and making the big bucks, I'm learning to fly airplanes now, TOTALLY unrelated, its all good tho, completely VOLUNTARY of me

Enjoy! I finished my engineering degree 11 yrs ago. After all this time I still appreciate waking up on Saturdays and Sundays and not having to do school work. I don't think I could find the motivation to do it at this point in my life. It was a lot of work but has been worth it for me. I'm sure it will be for you too. BTW, the food gets better! :msp_smile:

Congrats man! I never did college, always told myself "someday"..years then decades go by..... Looks like..never. Way too expensive today, I couldn't afford just the fuel to get to a community college part time, let alone any fees. So I just learn stuff that is interesting to me in general terms.

well done bud....
it will be worth it........
i got my paper at 46 yrs old.........lol
so, you enjoy it all now.......kkkkkkk

have a good one
john
BTW===rmount.........think robots,,, an electrical sysytem, that can control some mechanical force or design............,,,,,,,,,,,,"i think"

Last edited:
Congrats on the efforts put forth. I'm sure the road was a long and bumby one at times but you'll soon learn that it pays off.

Yup, well done indeed.
7+ years is a long road to hoe. Bet it feels pretty good right now.
Hope that transfer comes through for you!

:msp_thumbup:

My Dad did it in a similar way. Caterpillar offered night classes and Dad worked his way up from a Millwright through the engineering classes and ended up Maintenance Superintendent. He wrote a procedures manual in 1976 that is still used today. When Dad got his first upgrade to , "Layout Planner," he came home and goes, "Bud, I got a better job. I might be able to afford it if you want to try a new hobby--just tell me what it is."

I go, "How about motocross racing, Dad!"

Dad said, "No."

Congratulations! In no time you'll have backyard tinkerers everywhere taking your name in vain!

Seriously, I've worked with a few engineers, and the best ones have a real world background. You should do fine.

I sent some rep your way, it was well earned.

Congrats

You should indeed be very proud of your achievement and I salute you. Getting a Bachelors in an Engineering discipline is no easy undertaking full time, part time must really be a test of perseverance.

I have no doubt you'll do well. Anyone with the combination of smarts and determination that you've demonstrated is destined for success if they want it.

The Engineering degree you now have is something that no one can ever take from you.

Take Care

Another congrats!! :rock::rock: My background is in electrical engineering but have spent a good number of my 20+ years in the field writing software for embedded systems (i.e. not software for your PC). It can be gratifying to see an idea evolve from paper to actual product then to see it for sale on the store shelves.

Heck I barely graduated High school! But you have done is something to be proud of! Like Steve said the best engineers are the ones with real world experience, you will be great.

That's a nice accomplishment. Congrats! I spent 5 years in undergrad and 3 years in law school. I can appreciate the gratification of receiving the degree. Well done. :clap:

Last edited:
Good for you, I know exactly how you feel. I got my B.A. in 1979 and went back to graduate school in 1996 for a Master of Public Administration degree while working 40+ hours full time. Looking back now I don't know how I did it. Others have no idea how much work and stress it can be until you do it. Your accomplishment speaks to your work ethic and drive, you will do well.

Steve

that is some great news, i have been working toward my 4 year mechanical engineering degree for 10 years now. its hard with working full time 3 kids and military sponsered trips. tired of bumping the glass cealing with my 2 year MET degree. someday.......

Good Deal.
Work pays off.
Complete your FE ASAP before you forget all of your math.
Then complete your PE. PE = $$$$. $$$$ are a good thing.

David

Latest posts

Back