Englander question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kugss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Much of your answer will depend on how strong your chimney is drafting. If it isn't really strong, the exhaust damper will cool the smoke too much and cause creosote problems. How tall and what type of chimney?

There is about 5' of black black pipe with two 45° into 20' of double wall stainless pipe too the roof.

The draft seems to pull fine. The fire is very responsive with i open the bottom damper.

What are you stack temps looking like? If there high, obviously your pushing alot of your heat out the exhaust. The 6" will certainly slow the draft down, but be careful you don't reduce to the point that the chimney gets too cool which will in turn build creosote quicker. My last Regency stove really benefitted from one. The new NC 30 I recently installed hates it. If you put iti in and try it, you can always remove it if it dosen't work.

20 feet of class A atop 5 feet of black pipe is a lot of rise and will pull very hard. I would definitely put in a damper to try and slow it down.

What are you stack temps looking like? If there high, obviously your pushing alot of your heat out the exhaust. The 6" will certainly slow the draft down, but be careful you don't reduce to the point that the chimney gets too cool which will in turn build creosote quicker. My last Regency stove really benefitted from one. The new NC 30 I recently installed hates it. If you put iti in and try it, you can always remove it if it dosen't work.

I dont know what the temps are. I just got a gauge at the same time i bought a damper. What kinda temps should i look for to tell me if i should have one?

I do know what that unit wants to run at but at .03" of wc you'll have a 400 degree stack inside temp.

Last edited:
Let me guess, you have a magnetic stick on meter right? That only measures the temp of the outside of the flue. If you had bought a real probe meter then you could measure your flue gas temps. Note that outside metal temps are half of actual flue gas temps.

Keith spec'd an inside temp so this makes a pretty big difference.

Latest posts

Back