EPA targets families that generate heat off the grid using traditional wood-burning s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornbread

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
EPA targets families that generate heat off the grid using traditional wood-burning stoves

Thursday, November 17, 2011 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Traditional wood-burning stoves are still one of the most cost-efficient, sustainable, and renewable sources of energy production that families can use to heat their homes. But the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is not a huge fan of them, as was evidenced by its recent decision to push those who use traditional models to convert to EPA-approved -- and oftentimes much more expensive -- alternative models.

Throughout history, civilizations have relied on the burning of wood to cook food, warm water, and heat places of dwelling. After all, trees are an abundant and renewable source of wood, which means that the costs associated with obtaining energy and heat from burning wood are minimal. This, of course, is why many cash-strapped folks today are turning to wood-burning stoves rather than their local utilities.

But the EPA is now expressing concern about the 80 percent-or-so of wood stove users that still rely on non-EPA approved models. Most of the wood stoves manufactured before 1990 do not contain the EPA's certification stamp of approval which, in the eyes of the agency, means they are an unnecessary contributor of excess environmental pollution.

This is debatable, of course, as EPA-approved models can still emit excess smoke just like the others, and may not necessarily provide any pollution-reducing benefits at all. Because of their altered designs, many of the new EPA-approved models do not work as well as the older models, either, especially when used in severely-cold weather After 20 Years U.S. EPA Revisits the Wood Stove Program | Energy Bulletin

Most wood-burning stove companies in the US actually went out of business shortly after the EPA established its original certification requirements for wood stoves back in the 1990s. Many of the companies simply could not develop a complying product that actually worked. Today, the EPA is once again revisiting these New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) guidelines in order to push even more people away from the old stoves.

At the same time, EPA spokeswoman Alison Davis recently tried to whitewash the agency's position against wood stoves by claiming that the EPA is "not in the business of telling people how to heat their homes." No, it is actually in the business of restricting the types of wood stoves manufacturers are allowed to produce and sell, which ultimately does tell people how to heat their homes by robbing them of their freedom of choice.

Learn more: EPA targets families that generate heat off the grid using traditional wood-burning stoves

This crap should pi** off the pope. .My guess us big oil is mixed up in this somewhere. If we cant heat with wood big oil loses $. The month after I put my owb in I got a nasty letter from the gas co. saying THEY messed up on billing the previous year to the tune of $1700 I told them to get ther meter off my house. They said they were going to take me to court that was 9 years ago haven't heard from them since. Then the twp restricted all owb's 4years ago said I could use it until it breaks but I cant fix it. We'll see how that works out for them. Oh well rant off.

Give the EPA a break, it is just trying to clean up this country no matter the cost or actual benefits of its actions. Next thing they will be after the dust created by farmers.

Give the EPA a break, it is just trying to clean up this country no matter the cost or actual benefits of its actions. Next thing they will be after the dust created by farmers.

They already are after them for the dust, as well as the smell if you believe that (no joke). Alot of farmers are more "green" than your average homeowner.

I was being sarcastic when talking about the dust. Read several news stories about the EPA and its concern about AG dust. Hell damb near everything we do creats dust. These folks give new meaning to the word retard.

I've read that guy before -- he's a crackpot who writes really poorly.

There's nothing -- NOTHING -- in his article or the links from it that supports his headline.

In fact, like most of his articles, he undermines his own position.

Somehow the EPA is going after people burning wood...but also states 80% (which seems way high to me) of woodstoves in use are pre-EPA. You can't have it both ways -- either they're going after them or they're not, and they're not.

They are looking at the manufacturing standards to which the woodstoves are built. That is different from what he saying in his attempts to drum up passionate responses.

Pervert politicians need a place for the dullard bastard children of their dalliances to work and EPA fills that need.

I thought the Energy Bulletin article that was referenced was very good. The newer EPA stoves do have some compromises, but are far and away superior to older stoves IF you have sufficient chimney draw. But by and large this is a lot of fuss about nothing. The oil companies sell every drop they can produce, and they can't even keep up with the reduced demand brought on be our ongoing economic collapse. They could care less if you burn wood.

The last round of EPA regs resulted in much better stoves, and no one has taken away the old stoves. Corporations will spend the absolute minimum they can to get your money, so sometimes some incentives work quite well. Just as they did for automobiles, although the car companies whined and moaned and initially produced cheap, poorly functioning crap in order to meet them. But in the end we have digital fuel control systems a much better performance. The new regs may be good or maybe not, it's a crap shoot.

In reality a lot of stove manufacturers will be going out of business, along with lots of manufacturers of other stuff, because people without jobs who've been kicked out of homes they cannot afford don't buy a lot of stoves. They'll be heating with wood - in an old barrel in the Hoovervilles that will spring up around every city (again), and nobody will be worried about the combustion efficiency.

In reality a lot of stove manufacturers will be going out of business, along with lots of manufacturers of other stuff, because people without jobs who've been kicked out of homes they cannot afford don't buy a lot of stoves. They'll be heating with wood - in an old barrel in the Hoovervilles that will spring up around every city (again), and nobody will be worried about the combustion efficiency.

Here's the problem...ridiculous regs putting unneccessary strain on people already at the breaking point. Just the nudge the feds need to institute more drastic controls to contain an unruly public.

I've read that guy before -- he's a crackpot who writes really poorly.

There's nothing -- NOTHING -- in his article or the links from it that supports his headline.

In fact, like most of his articles, he undermines his own position.

Somehow the EPA is going after people burning wood...but also states 80% (which seems way high to me) of woodstoves in use are pre-EPA. You can't have it both ways -- either they're going after them or they're not, and they're not.

They are looking at the manufacturing standards to which the woodstoves are built. That is different from what he saying in his attempts to drum up passionate responses.

He states the logic of his position quite clearly. Crackpot or not, it is ad hoc regulation of individuals.

"At the same time, EPA spokeswoman Alison Davis recently tried to whitewash the agency's position against wood stoves by claiming that the EPA is "not in the business of telling people how to heat their homes." No, it is actually in the business of restricting the types of wood stoves manufacturers are allowed to produce and sell, which ultimately does tell people how to heat their homes by robbing them of their freedom of choice."

Just because you may agree with the EPA position, dosn't change the intent of the Regulation to limit individual freedoms.

The argument exists that anybody with a welder and some boiler plate can still Fab up a stove, just not sell it, is what he is pointing out.
Try finding a shower head that actually flows water anymore..same thing. Forced individual compliance.

Personally, I think the EPA should Ban the sale of Patchouli, Birkenstock sandals, and Che' T-shirts.
The Hippies could still make 'em themselves, just not sell them.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Burning wood is carbon neutral so why is there a problem? Maybe the EPA should go to China and try reducing their emissions.

Maybe carbon-neutral eventually, but in the meanwhile, it's difficult to even get a complete list of the organic-chemical soup of nasties and carcinogens that cloud the effluent of improperly run/fueled wood-burners.

Meaning: don't jump to baseless conclusions from parroting something you heard. We need to be slow to grab the pitchforks.

Bet you'd love to live downwind of a charcoal kiln. NOT.

WOW!! Way to go gubbermint, attack those that heat with wood. Why not reach around and pull your head out of your bunghole and realize what you are doing to this great nation.
Why dont you go after the state of california for the forest fires they have on a yearly basis cuz of the Santa Ana winds. I'm sure there is much more pollution there than from all the litter on the forest floor from careless hikers, than there is coming out of 1,000 wood stoves.

I am not an expert, but I think the American people are nearing the edge. I know I have had enough. If we want to keep our freedoms we need to band together and fight for what we believe in. Its time to tell the clowns in washington that we aren't taking it anymore. We pay their salary, they should listen to us not us listen to them.

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Jeff

They (the EPA) is on farmers arses about the methane from the cattle.. :msp_rolleyes: I got a letter from the air guys up here in canada..

He states the logic of his position quite clearly.

No, he doesn't.

Let's just take apart the first paragraph.

Traditional wood-burning stoves are still one of the most cost-efficient, sustainable, and renewable sources of energy production that families can use to heat their homes. But the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is not a huge fan of them, as was evidenced by its recent decision to push those who use traditional models to convert to EPA-approved -- and oftentimes much more expensive -- alternative models.

First word "Traditional."

What's traditional?

Is he talking about the EPA certified stoves we've had for 20+ years? A generation establishes an awful lot of tradition.

Is he talking about the airtight stoves made popular by Fisher starting in 1973? If you do the math, the period when Fisher style woodstoves dominated the market was shorter then our current era of EPA stoves.

Is he talking about the pre-Fisher designed stoves?

But more importantly, let's take this statement, "its recent decision to push those who use traditional models to convert to EPA-approved"

Am I being blind, or can someone show a single sentence in the rest of the article or the linked references that refer to any effort by the EPA to force people to trade in their functioning wood stoves for a model that will meet (the yet undefined) new standards?

His first paragraph is vague as to what he's talking about, and he doesn't support the primary accusation he makes in it in the rest of the article. There is no logic here.

Once again, the individual RIGHTS of a jerk to pollute his neighbor's air, infringes on the RIGHTS of the neighbor to breathe clear air.

It works both ways.

Ever gone jogging during a severe inversion in the winter before EPA air regulations? Cough cough.

Back