Est. how much wood in a 6-1/2 ft F150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this has probably been beat to death but how much split wood, hand tossed as high and as much as you can with no side rails into a F150 club cab pickup with a 6-1/2 ft bed? 1/2 cord or 2/3rd of a cord? I know someone on here must have measured it?

my buddy brought me some maple stacked in his 6' or so chevy p/u probably stacked a foot above level. stacked in my rack was almost exactly 1/3 cord. ihave thrown the same rack intoa 6' bed truck and you have to make sure none will fall out till the customer gets home. iget a measured hand tossed 1/2 cord in my 8' bed F150 and it is full.

What I am trying to figure out is how much my "free" wood is costing me in gas? If I am only getting 1/3 cord per pickup load, vs having a 10 cord load of 100" logs delivered right to my house. My "free" wood is about $10 worth of gas a round trip and that is not counting wear and tear on my truck. So roughly $300 in gas alone for 10 cord.

Next question? What do you think would be more wood? Split hand tossed, or pack the truck with un-split rounds? The un-split rounds would be more back breaking work.

Split it and stack it in truck, hold more that way. Maybe a set of racks? Although 300$ for 10 cords is pretty cheap & already cut & split. Log truck loads are usually 800 here, about 7 cords and its green.

I know this has probably been beat to death but how much split wood, hand tossed as high and as much as you can with no side rails into a F150 club cab pickup with a 6-1/2 ft bed? 1/2 cord or 2/3rd of a cord? I know someone on here must have measured it?
Buy a cheap trailer on craigslist for a one time cost that will hold more wood than your pickup. I bought a 4x8 with sides and removable rear for $300 and it has served me very well. I can get about 2/3 of a cord on it and hook it to my tractor and take right into the woods. If I had a budget of $500 or $600 I could have gotten one to hold a full cord. I just have to be careful of what species of wood I'm cutting and the weight. A little trailer with a 3500lb axel will haul a good pile of wood.

problem is I already tow behind my 28 ton log splitter. If I did a trailer I would have to do whole rounds, I'm too old to be out there splitting it with a maul. I need some type of home made lifter to load big rounds of oak, then I could pull a big trailer also. I do have a big trailer with sides on it, but it sits so high up off the ground I would break my back lifting rounds into it.

Split it and stack it in truck, hold more that way. Maybe a set of racks? Although 300$ for 10 cords is pretty cheap & already cut & split. Log truck loads are usually 800 here, about 7 cords and its green.

It is not already cut and split, I have to cut it then split it then load it. 30 pick up truck loads is a lot of work and time. But actually a 10 cord load would last me 2 years so I really only need to do 15 pick up loads a year, but this winter has killed me so far and already wiped out all my dry wood. I would like to stay at least one year ahead on my wood. But it is easier said than done. I can't devote all my spare time to firewood.

problem is I already tow behind my 28 ton log splitter. If I did a trailer I would have to do whole rounds, I'm too old to be out there splitting it with a maul. I need some type of home made lifter to load big rounds of oak, then I could pull a big trailer also. I do have a big trailer with sides on it, but it sits so high up off the ground I would break my back lifting rounds into it.
8' 2"x10" to use for a ramp and roll 'em up. I loaded 20 rds of hickory last winter that averaged 150# each. I really doubt you getting a half cord of tossed wood in a 6 1/2 bed.

Coldfront, they make those cherry picker loaders that can bolt to your truck. We've had some threads on them before. I don't think for a "forever" purchase that they are that expensive, and can be moved to a new truck or trailer, etc.

But you want it on your trailer, so you can move more wood at once, and split it at home, correct? Leave splitter at home? Small branches and saws and gear in the truck, larger rounds use the crane into the trailer.

I just looked, both harbor freight and northern tool have them, pickup truck cranes. Supposedly, just make the mounting deal a little more robust and use beefy bolts. You should be able to use some log tongs to load your big rounds.

Should be able to haul about twice the amount a 1/2 ton Toyota will haul.

Yep more like 1/4 cord.

I never said a 1/2 cord, I'm figuring now on the high side 1/3 cord. I wonder if I could make a light weight cherry picker that would mount into a 2"x2" receiver trailer hitch? I think the only way I am ever going to get a year of wood ahead I have to bite the bullet and buy a 10 cord logger load. Then go for the free wood. If I can get a year ahead or more I should be able go the free route from then on. What sucks is that I was a good year ahead, but then we moved and I didn't want to haul all that wood during the move, was too much at once.

1/4-1/3 of a cord .. It would be what a lot of people call a face cord ( nonsense really ) and that's usually a single row of stove length18" long wood that's 4 ft high and 8 ft long . Ford beds are 2" deeper than a Chevy bed. Wood in large rounds packed in tight will yield more after it's split at home

Why not stack it in truck? 6.5x5x2 would give ya half cord. Those cranes are pretty slow to use for wood. Friend has one on his f350 that he uses to load his wifes motorized wheelchair. We tried it loading big rounds & I could split and load 2 rounds in same time it took him to load a round. I'm in my mid 50's & no speed demon.

As stated above. Just stack it. If space is an issue, this should be automatic

I used to get right at 1/2 cord, tightly stacked splits in my '97 F-150 ext-cab, short-bed. It was heaped a bit on top, but it did alright. Un=split was closer to 1/4-1/3 cord, depending on the size of the wood. I had to strap my wheelbarrow on top when making deliveries. Thankfully I now have a 6x10' flatbed (or near to it, I need t measure it) and use of an 18' car hauler when necessary. Eventually I will have an 18-20', 14K or better rated equipment hauler to make wood more efficient. Honestly, w/stacking up your results several times and measuring, you don't know how much you're getting as it will vary with size.

Latest posts

Back