Ever come across this guy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen to that!!

I don't know - someone promises you "years of firewood" and when you tell them one tree (out of maybe 8) is a job for a pro they no longer want your free work.

He doesn't burn wood, he is just looking for free tree work.
We get calls all the time to remove trees. But what they really want is for us to haul out the back-hoe and another flatbed so we can dig, then B&B the tree, clean up the mess, replant another tree for free, then ask us how much we will pay them for the tree we just removed. Is there something in the water in CA or is just me.....

Try to look @ every job on it's own merits..

This is why I hate wood scrounging.

Last weekend took down 2 trees at a neighbor's place. After doing the first tree, another neighbor drives down the road after hearing some saws running. Turns out he's got "years and years worth" of dead standing oaks.

I talked to this guy 2 years earlier, about a dead oak he had right next to a powerline. I told him I'll take that, no cost to you, you just need to clear the brush that I leave in a pile. 2 phone calls later from this guy - he needs it done now and he doesn't want any clean up. No thanks.

So after reminding him who I was we schedule for me to pay him a visit on 4PM Friday to see what he's got. Show up at 3:50 on Friday, and "now's not a good time for me." What? OK, well just point me in the direction and I'll let you know.

He walks out there and shows me this one tree he is really concerned with. Perched right over a shed and a deck, and I say call an arborist for that one. He agrees. So I ask about the other standing dead Oaks, not in danger of hitting anything.

"Oh, I'm going to see if I can get a deal for those."

[Me]"A deal?"

"Yeah, maybe the arborist will want to take those for firewood and I can get a better price on the one tree."

[Me]"Yeah good luck with that."

I'm pretty sure he got the message when I just walked away laughing at him.

Waste my time, wants something for nothing, done immediately, like a professional, and then can't even give me the standing dead oak after all that.

Jackass.

Have had tons of potential customers like this over the years, then I took a diff strategy. Look at every job you go to only from the perspective of putting meat on your table / paying the bills. When I get an offer from the customer for a great wood haul or any other consideration, then I am eager to give them a great discount on the job. I've developed a great cust base over the years w/ this practice. i don't do it w/ repeat or word -of -mouth customers, only the cold-callers. Some don't have the brains they were born with, so we all have to protect our own interests while trying to educate and take care of our bread & butter-- our customers. Just don't expose yourself to people that take advantage and try to be patient with the not-so-enlighted consumer.. they pay our bills!!!

since the thread has already been hijacked , check this one out....
craigslist.
FREE ASH & WALNUT TREES (RICHMOND AREA)

Date: 2011-01-15, 11:05AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

WANTED ASH,WALNUT TREES REMOVED CLOSE TO FENCE AND HOUSE. THEY ARE SMALL TREES AND COULD BE REMOVED EASELY WITH CARE. I WILL NOT PAY TO HAVE THEM REMOVED LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO REMOVE FOR THE FIREWOOD.I WILL REMOVE THE BRUSH THOUGH.. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING FREE FIREWOOD CALL ME AT 765-960-7203 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting##############765-960-7203######end_of_the_skype_highlighting OR TEXT LEAVE MESSAGE ASAP.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2161771561

Hey - maybe he owns a home in VA too?

I can actually say that I answered an add in Craigslist of a person wanting trees cut down and the exchange was the firewood for removing the trees. All in all, I took down (11) large cherry trees about 18-20" in diameter and the small limbs were disposed of on his property over a hill. Interesting enough I was one of about 15 guys that went to look at these trees and everyone passed but me because the trees were still standing. It was the easiest wood gathering I ever had, you could actually pull the truck right up to the trees after they were cut to load them.

I actually had (2) of his buddies call me to remove trees at their place after that.

Wasn't a bad deal. I worked one weekend (Saturday & Sunday) and got enough wood to last me about two years of full scale burning!

Craig

Back