ever heard of cutting the top half of a tree down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
git-r-done

git-paid

:cheers: have a cold one.........

Have you ever seen what happens when a tree is allowed to grow under and or through high voltage lines (because the owner refuses to let the utility company remove it) and some kid climbs the tree, it looks something like this (WARNING THIS IS GRAPHIC) but with a tree involved

the kids think its ok to catch rattle snakes afterwards ???

I do everything from fine pruning to topping. I try my best to explain to the owner of the tree what is likely to happen when a tree is topped but if they insist on having it done, I will do it. Otherwise they will just get someone else who will likely not remove the branches at the collar, leave large tears, and damage the branches below by dropping heavy wood on them.

I also tell them that if anyone asks who did the work, let them also know that it was done over my strong objection. I have a job on Friday to heavy trim a mango tree. The owner originally wanted to cut off everything and leave only the big limbs with no leaves on it. I was able to talk him into leaving some of the lower laterals and not take it back as far. It is still more than I would like to have removed, but at least I am doing the job and not someone who has no understanding of tree work.

BTW, the owner originally was going to do it himself but stopped after he took out the power line to his house with his first cut. LOL.

De debbil is in de details; ANSI's definition of topping has shifted over the years but it is still not right imo. 10 arborists may look at a pruning job; 5 may call it improper topping, 5 may call it proper crown reduction.

Not sure Rf knows how to climb to the ends to make good reduction cuts though; that is the key.

I have found a silky and pruner do adequate reductions.

We went to my wifes aunt&uncles for Thanksgiving this year 50 miles away 2500 people. About half the trees in town were topped they looked terrible! I ask her uncle who does tree work in town and said somthing about the trees he says thats how they do it there. I tried to educate him on proper trimming and height reduction. He has a row populars that have been topped and where they were cut it is decaying. He has a row of silver maples 4-5 maybe 25' tall I offered to come and trim em cheap. He said he will put his ladder up and top them his self, I said good look dont break your leg! He really made me mad he wouldnt even listen to me!

Around here Asplundh is one of the few that does anything but the ugliest topping butchery.

With all due respect good sir that is total BS. We're all gray--I just whacked my mature crepemyrtles to 30% of their former size, whaddya gonna call that?

:popcorn:

Malus and Citrus as it pertains to the discussion. Reasonable reduction considering the placement of the cuts and specie as it pertains to the plant and owner goals.

An arborist by definition is an individual who is trained in the art and science of planting, caring for, and maintaining individual trees. - ISA

Anyone posting on Arboristsite.com that they happily perform indescriminate heading cuts for $ should either tune in or simply tune out.
:buttkick:

dang you guys were hard on Rf, who has come a LONG way on this site; he's my homeboy so I'm watching...

Watch out rf seers watchin you buddy:)

"We have on this site seasoned arborists and seasoned hacks. We also have arborist wannabes and hack wannabes. There is really no gray area inbetween. You choose to be or to become one or the other but you can't be both."

Wonder how many been all of them in their career:monkey:

With all due respect good sir that is total BS. We're all gray--I just whacked my mature crepemyrtles to 30% of their former size, whaddya gonna call that?

Ehhhhh flower production ehhhh.

Last edited:
:deadhorse::deadhorse: show me written rules or statues from my state that state I would be negligent in topping the tree...

I don't try to sell topping nor do I advertise it but I will do it.....

It's happened before, Dr. Shigo in fact has been the expert testimony in a few of these cases in the past. The case wasn't determined by laws on the books, it was determined by the selling of "professional" services using reasonably questionable practices. Topping can easily be established in court as a "questionable practice" and hence negligence can be placed on the arborist. The determination of the court views the homeowner as deferred to the professional as more informed. Plant Amnesty has an interesting article on this as well as some explanation of Dr. Shigo's involvement in a case down in Florida where a topped specimen failed and caused injury to a child. In a world of case law, precedent would be against you as a historical fact.

dang you guys were hard on Rf, who has come a LONG way on this site; he's my homeboy so I'm watching...

"We have on this site seasoned arborists and seasoned hacks. We also have arborist wannabes and hack wannabes. There is really no gray area inbetween. You choose to be or to become one or the other but you can't be both."

Watch out rf seers watchin you buddy:)

Wonder how many been all of them in their career:monkey:

Ehhhhh flower production ehhhh.

Ha it worked finally learned to quote multiples:dizzy:

Last edited:

You answered the first question with "some do".

Wich leaves the assumption that "MOST" would not walk away from an unneeded removal.

So,it's ok to do an unethical and unproffesional removal,so long as there is no trace huh?

I guess the question then becomes what is unethical in a removal.. what qualifies and what does not.

We have many examples around here where folks do removals to enlarge a cottage -- original cottage on lakefront built years ago was small. now they want to build one a couple of thousand square feet (or more) larger.. and big maple out front (or whatever) is in way.. been there for a hundred years.. stands taller than anything else around.. matters not.

They get building permit for new building.. and tree is in way.

Sad.. but once the municipality gives building permit what is going to happen..

Worse.. one of the townships this is happening is has a bylaw against cutting trees.. and that you need a permit (which is not easy to obtain). But if a building permit has been issued and tree is in way, then no issues in getting permit. So.. way to do it is to apply for building permit first.. as they only look at lot lines, survey, etc.. and then issue permit if all is in order.

Then... they ask for tree removal permit .. if they did other way around they likely could not get away with it.

This is one of the most unethical situations we have around here.. and there is nothing you can do about it as a permit to remove has been issued.

Malus and Citrus as it pertains to the discussion. Reasonable reduction considering the placement of the cuts and specie as it pertains to the plant and owner goals.

An arborist by definition is an individual who is trained in the art and science of planting, caring for, and maintaining individual trees. - ISA

Anyone posting on Arboristsite.com that they happily perform indescriminate heading cuts for $ should either tune in or simply tune out.
:buttkick:
I would understand indiscriminate but there are areas of practice that seemingly cause topping but are proper for the tree. I have done several restore jobs on severe diebacks that if you did not see the tree before, would appear hacked. I hate doing them just because of the look that results and that I know someone half experienced and educated will soon mouth off about my work. I would rather cut it down which really may not be best either. Also; what do you do when you have informed a customer the loss of food source will cause undo stress on the tree, limit photosynthesis which in turn reduces pest and disease resistance and they still want it topped? I will tell you what I do and you can call me a hack if it makes you feel better. I thoroughly document the species my recommendation and why,the customers wish and why I feel it to be improper and that no responsibility for the trees health or resulting damage after shall be held against me or my company. If they sign it I feel I have done what is reasonable and then do the work. At least the heading cuts will be at nodes the funny thing is; most wont sign my documentation or they finally listen when the responsibility is placed onto them.:)

Back