Everyone has to make their way in life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know everyone has to do it. Make their own way. I think this is another time I'm gonna be glad I gave up drinkin years ago.

That don't mean I have to like it. The boy just told me he has a job tomorrow. Working for a guy I don't particularly care for. Personalities aside, he's good at what he does and safety is a top concern of his. This will be his first cutting job away from me. He can work the rigging with the best of them and just about anything else on the side. But sending him out for his first cutting job scares the beejeebers outta me. He won't have me watching from a distance, won't have me to glance at to reassure himself. He's gonna be on his own out there.

I know it has to happen, but I sure as hell don't have to like it or be comfy with this.

Anyone been through this with their boy? Any insight to calm the nerves? Right at bed time, let the sleepless night begin.

Owl

Relax, he's flown the coup and needs to flex his wings away from fathers watchful eyes.
His new boss will take him under under his wing. I'm sure you taught him well and if you play things right he will come to you for advice. It's all good, just be thankful he's following in your footsteps.
Is mom ok with all this?
John

The last person I taught to fall was my nephew. His Dad and I fell timber together for over thirty years but he died before the boy was ready to start.

You'll always worry, okay? Always. You'll worry that maybe you forgot to tell him something, or show him something, or maybe you let him get away with something done poorly and he'll think that it's alright.
You've been at this long enough to know how quick things can bite you and you'll worry that your son won't recognize the dangers. That worry goes with teaching. Goes double when it's kin.
I don't know your son but I know you. And I know your attitudes toward this business. I know your attitude toward sloth and shoddy work and people who cut corners and show-offs with more balls than brains. If you passed what you think down to your boy he's already ahead of the game.
I won't tell you not to worry but don't let him see you doing it. It's up to him now.

I don't expect "Mom" knows about this. If she did, she'd be on the phone squealing at me like a banshee.

I understand about the teaching aspect, but them kids weren't mine. He's 20 now, by the rest of the world plenty of skill and good to go, by my standards, there is more to learn yet. Your right, I still worry about some of the other kids to this day, double with kin is right on the mark.

I was happy and excited about this with and for him. This ranked right up there when he told me he was going for the Marine Corps, couple years yet until that will happen. Both barrels strait to the gut.

I'll be up early with him, hoping he asks about anything else I can tell him. I won't be able to not tell him somethings I'm thinking about. He's a good kid, plenty of head on his shoulders, he'll do well, but that don't make it any easier. I talked to his boss, it's decent strait forward stuff. Nothing but, until the new boss gets a feel for him and his abilities. That set me to ease some. And the boss will be his partner for a few weeks.

I'll be home early to hear all about it. I think there will be some questions and talking tomorrow when I see him. This kid is excited, he can't sleep either, cause of that. He's done everything to get ready and checked it over 2 or 3 times now.

Gypo. you're right they all have to flex and fly. Can't watch over'em forever.

Owl

Owl, the important thing is not to borrow trouble in advance. It sounds like it's in the blood, meaning the profession as in wood, saws and independence.Sleep well, knowing your son is just another chip off the ole block.
Let the chips fall where they may.

The last person I taught to fall was my nephew. His Dad and I fell timber together for over thirty years but he died before the boy was ready to start.

You'll always worry, okay? Always. You'll worry that maybe you forgot to tell him something, or show him something, or maybe you let him get away with something done poorly and he'll think that it's alright.
You've been at this long enough to know how quick things can bite you and you'll worry that your son won't recognize the dangers. That worry goes with teaching. Goes double when it's kin.
I don't know your son but I know you. And I know your attitudes toward this business. I know your attitude toward sloth and shoddy work and people who cut corners and show-offs with more balls than brains. If you passed what you think down to your boy he's already ahead of the game.
I won't tell you not to worry but don't let him see you doing it. It's up to him now.

Bob, you couldn't lead a three man run to an outhouse.

he will be fine, keep his head on a swivel and don't work to much past his comfort level and it will get better with every day . worrying will not go away completely but will lessen with time. who is he cutting for if if ya don't mind. just curious.

owl i'm 43 and dad still says he is scared for me..........he just sits in the truck and listens, i bet that is the worst. i have a boy 23..............i am scared he will never do any thing at all.........so it could be worse. be proud of your boy and support him all ya can..........and yea i expect you will worry long as you have breath. i'm sure you have done a good job preparing him for this.

I know everyone has to do it. Make their own way. I think this is another time I'm gonna be glad I gave up drinkin years ago.

That don't mean I have to like it. The boy just told me he has a job tomorrow. Working for a guy I don't particularly care for. Personalities aside, he's good at what he does and safety is a top concern of his. This will be his first cutting job away from me. He can work the rigging with the best of them and just about anything else on the side. But sending him out for his first cutting job scares the beejeebers outta me. He won't have me watching from a distance, won't have me to glance at to reassure himself. He's gonna be on his own out there.

I know it has to happen, but I sure as hell don't have to like it or be comfy with this.

Anyone been through this with their boy? Any insight to calm the nerves? Right at bed time, let the sleepless night begin.

Owl
He prob has some good sense and judgement from what you have taught him all these years they remember stuff.He should be fine unless he goes against his own judgement.

Some times I think we should extend more respect to the women in our lives.
Did I just say that? Please disregard any big brother advice. Treat them mean, keep them keen!

Some times I think we should extend more respect to the women in our lives.
Did I just say that? Please disregard any big brother advice. Treat them mean, keep them keen!

Yeah, right. Cast iron is a good thing when guys like you are around. Now, can we get back to Owls topic, instead of your promotion of abusing women, which really isn't very funny.

Back