Evolution of an Invention 2 Counterweighted Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Jon. If we are doing class 1 pruning, wouldn't all we need is a hand saw?
Jeff

You think any handsaw in the world can cut faster and cleaner than my Maibo pneumatic loppers? I can cut 5 one inch branches in as many seconds by just pulling a trigger.

jomoco

Now I know some of you grizzled veteran climbers are thinking this CW climbing system could only be used in ideal trees with an unobstructed vertical path to ground for the CW/compressor to do it's thing?

In a strictly vertical path yes, but by off setting the path to ground via a redirect by a few degrees, it becomes possible guide the counterweight out of the canopy with a supporting speedline/pulley, and guide it to the ground along a known open path. This path to ground can be configured to actually support a leaning tree as it's being trimmed by running the CW guide line 180 degrees off the tree's lean.

I'm sure there's a mathematical formula that can tell you how much increased counterweight is necessary to offset each degree from vertical you guide the counterweight to ground from.

Just think speedlining with a haulback, with quite a few more bells and whistles.

jomoco

Well I finally got set up in a medium euc that's about 110 feet tall. I set the CW pulley block at 90 feet up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoX6iih5yJo

I'm very happy with this new system. It definitely gets better as the trees get bigger no doubt.

I set this up solo using my Hobbs device to hoist the counterweight to 90 feet.

The second time I walked up this tree, I started laughing as I thought how very similar what I was doing was to those corny episodes of Batman and Robin walking up vertical walls on buildings. But this is no camera orientation trick!

jomoco

Pretty cool. What happens if you lose your grip on the pull rope aiding your ascent?

The second time I walked up this tree, I started laughing as I thought how very similar what I was doing was to those corny episodes of Batman and Robin walking up vertical walls on buildings. But this is no camera orientation trick!

jomoco

Was this what you were talking about?

attachment.php

I don't see no counterweight...

Nice find PDQL!

Had me laughin such that I slipped bout halfway up!

My secondary line is trapped between my lower D-rings, so losing it is pretty hard.

jomoco

Latest posts

Back