excavator to split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treekiller

treekiller

ArboristSite Lurker
Does anyone have any experience in splitting fire wood with an excavator. I have seen it done on an 40 inch dbh oak but that machine was a beast. My question is what is the smallest machine that can produce enogh force to split a log 40 inch dbh. This is the grapple they used, on some bigger pieces they had to bang it a couple times to split it.
ex_image_grap_ss.jpg

Here a cool product but you need a $200,000 excavator to use it right, its name is Bodine Wood Splitter.
bodine_stump_splitter.jpg

arlen

arlen

Me and my wife at Wild Amimal Park San Diego
Does anyone have any experience in splitting fire wood with an excavator. I have seen it done on an 40 inch dbh oak but that machine was a beast. My question is what is the smallest machine that can produce enogh force to split a log 40 inch dbh. This is the grapple they used, on some bigger pieces they had to bang it a couple times to split it.
ex_image_grap_ss.jpg

Here a cool product but you need a $200,000 excavator to use it right, its name is Bodine Wood Splitter.
bodine_stump_splitter.jpg

I bought an attachment called " atomic splitter " It is a screw splitter it can split off of a hydraulic pto. I mounted it on my backhoe it worked ok. There are some screw splitters listed on e-bay. I have seen them set up for a skidd steer and an excavator. David

Latest posts