Excessive compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utopians

Reaction score
Hi all
I rebuilt my Husqvarna 141 with aftermarket cylinder and piston. With plug out it turns over with no problem, but with plug in it has so much compression I can’t start it. I removed muffler but still same problem.
Any suggestions

Without actually looking at the parts you used, I’d say that’s probably normal. Anywhere from 150 to 170 psi is normal compression for most saws. They can be hard to pull over especially if you don’t have proper technique.

Make sure plug isn't hitting the top of the piston. Install it but don't tighten it so you get leakage but still inserted to the right depth

I have re-built many of these small 100 series Husky engines, but I re-used the original cylinder with Meteor pistons or found new old stock parts on eBay. Heck... I even got a used cylinder for a re-build 1 time. No problems. Hence why I suggested checking the squish with the aftermarket parts.

Good call on the plug idea also Automender.

I don't have a compression tester and at this point haven't done the squish test. i'm not even sure i can do it properly. However i did install the plug with just one turn and the rope pulled fairly easily. then with it 1/2 to 3/4 in the rope just about pulls out of my hand.
I know these engines have high compression but this is ridiculous. I'm looking into getting a compression tester today

I don't have a compression tester and at this point haven't done the squish test. i'm not even sure i can do it properly. However i did install the plug with just one turn and the rope pulled fairly easily. then with it 1/2 to 3/4 in the rope just about pulls out of my hand.
I know these engines have high compression but this is ridiculous. I'm looking into getting a compression tester today
If you have a harbor freight near you they have a cheap one that works decent.

Back