Excessive smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone offer advise on how to control smoke exiting door when filling owb. My boiler is fan induced and smokes horribly if you open door when fan is off.

Depends on what you have for an OWB. For instance, I have a Johnson type which has a rod you pull that slides a diverter plate inside the unit. Normally flue gases flow from the back of my unit toward the front over heat exchanging pipes, then up and back again to the rear and up the chimney. By sliding the plate towards the front it allows smoke to go straight up the stack.
But that's MY unit. How yours is designed or if it even HAS a similar option I have no way of knowing without more info.

Trying to time it correctly in the burn cycle would help too. It sucks loading it after it is up to temp and has been sitting idle for a bit. Lots of smoke.

But if i catch it at roughly 178 -> 184 (kicks on at 175), then it is usually burning hotting and less smoke.

Some days mine will come out the door and some days it will go up the stack. Don't know why.
I doubt there is anything you can do to avoid it.

With my cb 6048 a lot of smoke usually means lots of unused fuel. I try and fill mine when the water temp has dropped a few degrees or more below the start up point. That means the last load is fully consumed. When loading I try and put just enough wood to last 12 hours.

If you open the door on my central too fast when there is unburnt wood in it you look like you have been on radiation treatments. I open the door an inch or so for a bit to get the draft going good then open it up and fill it. The hair will grow back but the stuff on top of my head wont for some reason.

I have a Wood Master, I slide the damper open, wait a second or two and open the door kind of slow, then stand back and let the smoke clear..or some times I just wade rite into the plume if I'm in a hurry,,It seems to depend on where the stove is at in the "burn cycle"

My boiler is a very simple design with nothing to open or close to help with situation. Cracking the door and waiting does seem to help but is not always an option (sometimes I am running late for work). The smoke did not bother me until I moved the boiler inside a detatched garage. Now when the smoke settles everything is coated in black.

I saw a flue draft fan that mounts on outside of stove pipe at northern tool today. Does anyone have experience with these or opinions on whether it might help with smoking

Back