Exchanging chains that don't fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Purchased a chain for my saw from local hardware store where they sell Stihls. Doesn't fit my saw and they won't exchange it for one that will. They say Stihl has a "no return policy".

Maybe another manufacturer is in my future.

Not true, Stihl dealers are independent, making their own decisions on matters such as this. If the chain and packaging still look new, they should have returned it to make you happy. If it is in original condition, they just lost your business to the next dealer that doesn't mind taking a few more minutes to earn your business and trust. Stupid mistake....

FYI, Ace Hardware (True Value probably shares the same view) does NOT like to field complaints such as yours. If there is no grease, dirt, fingerprint(s) on the paper insert, or damage to the package, send a complaint at AceHardware.com. They truly want a positive shopping experience, and it sounds like you have a legitimate complaint. The corporate folks will send the complaint back to the store if needed.

I hope this helps!

Not true, Stihl dealers are independent, making their own decisions on matters such as this. If the chain and packaging still look new, they should have returned it to make you happy. If it is in original condition, they just lost your business to the next dealer that doesn't mind taking a few more minutes to earn your business and trust. Stupid mistake....

FYI, Ace Hardware (True Value probably shares the same view) does NOT like to field complaints such as yours. If there is no grease, dirt, fingerprint(s) on the paper insert, or damage to the package, send a complaint at AceHardware.com. They truly want a positive shopping experience, and it sounds like you have a legitimate complaint. The corporate folks will send the complaint back to the store if needed.

I hope this helps!

It does. Thanks.

How did you go about this purchase? Did you tell them what chain you needed, or did you show them your saw and they provided the chain?

I told them what kind of saw I have, bar size and my goals using the saw

Next time give them the info stamped on the bar ie number of drive links, pitch, size, bar size etc.

You ain't kidding. Yup. One might expect that they would know which questions to ask before selling an item, but you never know. Next time I'll bring the bar and the saw and make sure the chain fits before leaving the store. I'll saw down a tree on their property to be absolutely certain it's the right one.

Latest posts

Back