Experience with aftermarket fuel lines for Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an MS260 that needs a new fuel line and figured I'd do the impulse line too. This is the kind of part that I prefer to stay with OEM, but my nearest dealer (1+ hr. away) has twice promised to call me back and blown me off. So I went on Ebay and spent a whopping $8 (with free shipping!) for both lines and a new fuel filter. Should be in tomorrow.

What can I expect? Has anyone used these aftermarket lines before?

The ones I've had in my hand were way too soft at the outset. There is no need for me to trust a cheap fuel line in a very expensive saw. Seems to me the best choice is a very high quality OEM line, filter and impulse line. My 2 pennies.

The ones I've had in my hand were way too soft at the outset. There is no need for me to trust a cheap fuel line in a very expensive saw. Seems to me the best choice is a very high quality OEM line, filter and impulse line. My 2 pennies.
Same for me the AM one that came in kit was to soft to start with. Was swollen inside tank after only two days.

I have an MS260 that needs a new fuel line and figured I'd do the impulse line too. This is the kind of part that I prefer to stay with OEM, but my nearest dealer (1+ hr. away) has twice promised to call me back and blown me off. So I went on Ebay and spent a whopping $8 (with free shipping!) for both lines and a new fuel filter. Should be in tomorrow.

What can I expect? Has anyone used these aftermarket lines before?

Did you ask the dealer to send you one? They do that you know. You paid about the same price for the aftermarket one too.

eh, that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll do a little test, for science, and see how long the aftermarket lines hold up.

so hawt right now!!

I do sell AM fuel lines, but to be honest I prefer an OEM Stihl fuel line as long as it is the newer Green line, the older black stihl molded fuel line is as "OK" as the farmertec, Oregon and NWP sourced lines, which is to say they are fine with good fuel but within a 12-18 month period in yucky ethanol turn a little gooey. I haven't seen the kink that some guys have mentioned but they become more soft and supple over time which might be nice in a pair of leather chaps but isn't ideal in a fuel line.
I have a green replacement line in a 362 that is over two years of sitting in fuel and still good.

I have started carrying some OEM fuel lines and they sell slowly but of course I charge more than a dealer and have to pay shipping and fees so it is understandable.

The AM rubber buffers and intake boots and impulse lines are actually pretty darn good I would recommend them without reservation to anyone who isn't a total "gotta be OEM" guy, at least for the models I carry.
On the MS440 for example the 18 piece rubber replacement kit I can sell for less than the OEM intake manifold by itself.

I do sell OEM intakes and impulse lines too, but again they sell a lot slower than the AM.
Sorry bout the long windedness, please return to your regular programming and support the other merchants on this here forum-place, they are a bunch of baddassesss
DD

No way to tell which factory the lines come from (lousy picture but I cant throw stones), those filters are produced in at least 6 different locations owned by the same company, I think they are all the same and decent unless a batch ends up soaked in so much glue that they wont pass fuel.
When it arrives hold it up to the light and you will be able to tell, that isn't common but some suppliers have things in stock a long time so that old bad batch can rear its ugly head every now and then.
One thing to know is that many suppliers overseas will bold faced lie about where parts really come from, most claim to manufacture "100 percent all parts make in our factory" but then it is obvious that some have a makers mark from elsewhere and they wont answer questions about it :)
DD

Was just doing an ebay search for aftermarket stihl fuel lines, impulse lines, and intake boot, looking specifically for Farmtec, cuz I've heard its good. Before ordering, I checked with this site, and read DD's post higher up (#10) and thought, "wait, he sells good stuff. What is his online store?" Well, wouldn't you know, it just happened to be the same one I stumbled upon on ebay!- Chainsaw Conservation Components. Haha! Small world! I'll be ordering soon, Dave!

The AM rubber buffers and intake boots and impulse lines are actually pretty darn good I would recommend them without reservation to anyone who isn't a total "gotta be OEM" guy, at least for the models I carry.

I'd normally agree with you, Scandy14, and I may in fact go OEM for the fuel line, but I thought DD's comment here was pretty convincing. Well, not that one comment alone, but everything leading up to it combined with other things I've read surfing around the various threads.
BTW that huge saw in your name tag is pretty killer!

Have used many from Amazon or eBay without issue. I suppose it's luck of the draw.

Got some fuel caps off Amazon for my 460. The fuel MELTED the cord and stopper deal (piece so the cap stays with the saw.
Probably made from recycled condoms or who really knows!

Latest posts

Back