extention pole saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuzbee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have any of you all had any experiences with an extention pole saw?
I looked at a Stihl that was about $600 and had a '12ft reach including the saw. This is the only one I've seen besides one of those cheap electric saws.
What do you guys use? What's the best buy and how much do they run? Size?

:blob2:

Nuz, I would image you speaking of a HT75? Yup i Have one and Love it.
I'd have a hard time deciding If i had to give up one if i'd give it up or my MS200T climbing saw. But the HT75 works great.

nuz

I've had an HT-75 for 4 yrs., I don't use it a whole lot, but when I do I'm glad I bought it. For pruning , in some cases, it has eliminated climbing. Only 1 problem, with all that weight it tends to stall the chain, a little uplift on the unit takes care of this. One more thing, while cutting directly overhead you get pummeled with chips, goggles are a big help.

You just cannot make a good proper pruning cut with one. I cringe when I hear an unknowledgable landscaper, or the like, get's one of these tools. I just imagine him running around at each job, cutting <I>every</I> lower branch he can reach, nicking the trunk, leaving stubs, flush cutting, or usually all of the above. The amount of damage one can do in a short time is unbelievable.

There is a town by me, and you can drive around and point at several ruined landscapes, all from one landscaper's power pruner. It makes me sick.

That being said, I have used mine a few times doing hazard removal work. Sometimes you can climb an adjacent tree and reach out and top a whole tree from this safe spot. Or reach up from a safe height, to top out dead branches that can't be climbed.

I did an apple tree with tons of dead wood this last weeekend. I was able to remove braches in several peices very quickly from the ground, without wrecking all kinds of garden plants and decorations below, then climbed up and cut the stubs by hand.

If you have one you will find all kinds of uses, please don't use them for prunning, and don't let others see you using it.

I have had an HT75 for almost 2 years now. I must say that I love the thing. I only use it a few times a month, but when I do, it saves a lot of climbing. I have done whole jobs in the past with this thing and never had to leave the ground. There are 2 things I might add here about safety with the power pole saws. 1) Watch out for what you are cutting, I have had pieces come back at me and knock me off my feet before. 2) Make sure that even though you are carrying your HT75 with you that you also carry a good manual saw that will get up to at least that same height. Reason being... if your power pole saw gets bound in the branch at 15' off the ground, how are you going to get it unbound?

stihl pole saw

hey mate:i've used mine lots over the past years and it does a fantastic job.it's worth the investment but get only stihl.
jack

Back