Eye Protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The screen on a logging hardhat won't fog. It's the only way to go, IMO. Just try to remember its there before you spit your dip. :)

When you learn that the hardhat is simply a hanger for your face screen and hearing protection, you will wear the hardhat more often!

I've seen the regular glasses with screen for lenses but never tried them. The helmet,shield, ear muffs are the way to go though.It's kind of like seat belts, once you get used to them you can't imagine being without. I'm glad I'm not the only one that spits onto the shield.

If you're looking for just eye protection while using a saw the Bugz eyes ( i think that's what they call'em) should work good. I haven't tried them yet but they are just safety glasses with mesh lenses, so no fogging!

I have the same problem spittin into the shield, but for the amount of times that helmet has saved me from a nasty bump on the head it's well worth it. However when I end up kicking or throwing the helmet for my own incompetence the face shield usually gets the brunt of the beating.

I've been happy using an anti fog solution on my glasses for whatever type of work I'm going to be doing...especially splitting and sawing. You can find it at almost any hardware store. Also VERY handy if you ever decide to play paintball! I think I paid around $3 for a small bottle, and it goes a long way.
attachment.php

I may also pick up a pair of those mesh glasses too sometime.
attachment.php

I've been happy using an anti fog solution on my glasses for whatever type of work I'm going to be doing...especially splitting and sawing. You can find it at almost any hardware store. Also VERY handy if you ever decide to play paintball! I think I paid around $3 for a small bottle, and it goes a long way.
attachment.php

I may also pick up a pair of those mesh glasses too sometime.
attachment.php

Is Rain Ex safe to use on Poly carbonate lenses? if it is I will give that a try

Is Rain Ex safe to use on Poly carbonate lenses? if it is I will give that a try

Never really checked. Is that what's used to make regular ol' saftey glasses? By safe are you thinking potentially making it brittle thus rendering it ineffective safety wise? Its not very harsh stuff at all so I wouldn't think so, but again, I never checked. I'll look it up and see.

You can always use spit too. Doesn't work as well, but it sure did the trick back in the day on my goggles when I swam competitively.

I didn't see much after a quick search online. The MSDS sheet doesn't mention anything. I'm pretty sure its more alcohol than anything else. If anything, I'd pass on using it on any type of glasses that have a UV protection layer. I've really only used it on plain jane clear and tinted saftey glasses.

Hope that helps!

The helmet with a faceshield and muffs is the way to go, and I would also have a pair of "bugeyes" in the kit.

We firewood guys probably cut more standing dead timber than just about anybody. That means that there is a good chance of a rotting limb breaking loose and coming down while working on the trunk, so a helmet might save you from a nasty injury. You only have to feel that "thump" once and turn to see a good sized branch right behind you that wasn't there a second ago to convince you that a helmet is a good idea, not to mention the whole kickback factor.

The muffs are pretty much a no brainer; I have them on the helmet as well as pairs for the splitter, the tractor, and an extra set that I carry with my saw gear. As for a full face screen; they really help when you're cutting at some weird angle like on a slope and the chips are flying back into your face. Nothing ruins your day like getting a mouth full of chips!

I recently had a problem, though, where I was cutting up a massive stump and had to quarter the piece. Cutting down through the grain created a lot of dust, which came up under the screen and into my eyes; and I was wearing contact lenses. Next time I'll wear the helmet and a pair of shop goggles.

I tried everything I could think of to keep my glasses from fogging up when I wear safty glasses. I was told about the motorcycle goggles. I bought a pair, and they fit over my glasses, and they have the rubber gasket all the way around them, so no type of dust or water can get around them and not one bit of fogging. I now have several pair. keep a pair in my work shop, my truck, and a pair hanging on my xmark.

I tried everything I could think of to keep my glasses from fogging up when I wear safty glasses. I was told about the motorcycle goggles. I bought a pair, and they fit over my glasses, and they have the rubber gasket all the way around them, so no type of dust or water can get around them and not one bit of fogging. I now have several pair. keep a pair in my work shop, my truck, and a pair hanging on my xmark.

Welcome Billy, and merry Christmas.

Back