F-450 - should I get Diesel or Gas???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the old 7.3 advertised as a powerstroke before. To confuse matters further they turbo'ed the last few of that engine that they used. Not sure of the exact numbers but I know they did on some of the last production runs. There is definitely a significant power difference between the old 7.3 and the powerstroke.

IDI7.3 non turbo 185hp,7.3 turbo IDI(93-94 only) 190hp.PSD came out in 94 in manaul trans only mid year at 215hp,in 95 it was available across the board with autos at 215hp.
The IDI engines are much simpler and more reliable,and there injection system is much cheaper to work on.They have a full mechanical pump.All that really goes wrong is glow plugs and controllers,which are both common items on PSDs as well.They arent as powerful as a PSD thats for sure.

My service area is only a 10 mile radius. And often I travel a mile or 2 between jobs. My truck is gas even though my equipment is diesel. If I had a diesel truck it would never warm up.I have thought long about purchasing a diesel but it doesent work for me. I only drive 6000 miles a year which, in my opinion is not enough to work a diesel like it should be worked. F-450 5.4l works for me.

Last edited:
My service area is only a 10 mile radius. And often I travel a mile or 2 between jobs. My truck is gas even though my equipment is diesel. If I had a diesel truck it would never warm up.I have thought long about purchasing a diesel but it doesent work for me. I only drive 6000 miles a year which, in my opinion is not enough to work a diesel like it should be worked. F-450 5.4l works for me.

F450 5.4? To my knowledge such a combination doesnt exist.....

F450 5.4? To my knowledge such a combination doesnt exist.....

Oops I made a mistake. My truck is an F-350 w/5.4L . Perfect for my pruning business.
treepics1032.jpg

Sometimes I wish it were bigger and it had a crane. But at least I can drive on lawns without damage.

fred033-1.jpg

Last edited:
if you need a deisel.................

i would go Mitsubishi Fuso 6 cylinder 4x4.it's an inline which is proven superior to the V configuration.

i know several guys here with them that have no problems with them.

For my next truck I am planing to get an Isuzu or or Fuso. Leaning towards the Fuso 4x4. Only question is how well will it pull a 7 to 10k trailer? How are the brakes? THe brakes on my F-350 are not so good.

For my next truck I am planing to get an Isuzu or or Fuso. Leaning towards the Fuso 4x4. Only question is how well will it pull a 7 to 10k trailer? How are the brakes?

The towing capacity of almost all cabovers is very weak. Lucky to find one that can pull 6K. That is the reason I stick with conventional cab trucks. My 3/4 ton Dodge with a hopped up Cummins can pull 10K up 6% grades at 70 mph.

It all went in the truck and trailer as firewood. Due to an arbor at the entrance of this property it was not possible to get a large truck on site. I got the job because no other company wanted to bid on it. It was one of the funnest jobs I ever did. I now prune on this property the homeowner request I bring Fred the dog when I visit. Fred rides around with me and seals the deal everytime. Largest removal I have done. Im still heating my house with wood from that tree 3 years later. That 1 tree yielded 14 cords of firewood. Stump measurred 72" x 81" dbh. Probably the biggest tree I will ever cut. The puppy "Fred" is now a fit 120lb dog and he is doing great. Fred is trained to bring firewood from the woodshed to the backporch 1 split at a time. great dog HE IS SO COOL. Fred also hunts and fishes

Last edited:
I dont need to go fast. 50 mph is enough. but I do need to pull a 4000 pound chipper up hills in western PA. I also need to brake down hills with chipper and 2 ton of chips and/or logs. Braking, in my opinion is the weak link with 1 ton pickup trucks.

my budy has a 2wd 4cyl Fuso.

pulls his bobcat and 1230 vermeer no problem.not both at the same time of course.

are they putting a reliable transmission behind that Cummins yet?

i'd rather have reliability than speed.

The autos are junk unless you get a new Dodge with the model 68 transmission. My truck has the 6 speed stick with a South Bend clutch.
No problems with the tranny and I have 135,000 miles, most of it towing or carrying a load.

As far as braking, I have a PacBrake exhaust brake and brakes on the trailer.
It stops very quickly with a load, but I don't go fast down hill or when traffic is around. I also don't go 70 mph up hills either as the exhaust gas temp will start to get too high. I know it can do 70 mph for brief periods because I tried it once towing 9780 lbs. I normally travel 50 mph up that 6% grade to keep the egt at just under 1200º.

I've read through all the posts to this thread and still need some reassurance before purchasing.

My old GMC is on the way out. Fact is, it's off the road. I've been looking for a one ton and have narrowed the search. Both are Ford f350, both 2005, both 30K miles. One has gas V10 motor, all the bells and whistles, maintained/owned by ASE certified mechanic and no plow, used for side jobs, $22000.
The other, 6.0 diesel with a plow, used in landscaping company, claimed to be in perfect condition, $24000

Others trucks in mind like a 1999 f350 and a f550 both with 7.3 but look to be a bit tougher shape. Any direction if anyone were in my shoes? New is out of the question. How do the motors compare? Everything else seems comparable. I've looked at the specs on the motors but I'm looking for reality input. I realize the 6.0 has had its problems but then so did the V10 with sparkplugs siezing. The 7.3 is a nice motor but the ones available are 11 years old. Any insight?

I've read through all the posts to this thread and still need some reassurance before purchasing.

My old GMC is on the way out. Fact is, it's off the road. I've been looking for a one ton and have narrowed the search. Both are Ford f350, both 2005, both 30K miles. One has gas V10 motor, all the bells and whistles, maintained/owned by ASE certified mechanic and no plow, used for side jobs, $22000.
The other, 6.0 diesel with a plow, used in landscaping company, claimed to be in perfect condition, $24000

Others trucks in mind like a 1999 f350 and a f550 both with 7.3 but look to be a bit tougher shape. Any direction if anyone were in my shoes? New is out of the question. How do the motors compare? Everything else seems comparable. I've looked at the specs on the motors but I'm looking for reality input. I realize the 6.0 has had its problems but then so did the V10 with sparkplugs siezing. The 7.3 is a nice motor but the ones available are 11 years old. Any insight?

I would definitely take the 7.3 over the 6.0. Then the gasser.

05 V10 doesn't have the spark plug issues. That was on the earlier models.

6.0 scares me to death with all the stories I've read about them.

I'd either find a nicer 7.3 or just get the V10.

(Btw, I have a 2000 Excursion with a V10 and it has almost 180k completely trouble free miles on it. I tow 8k - 14k lbs with it daily and did so for the last 30k miles in the last year.)

as much as I hate Fords...................

my buddies 2004 F550 with a V10 has been damn reliable,even with the automatic transmission.

2005 6.0L should be fine. There are more maintenance costs with a 6.0L than a 7.3L. If you are looking for power and reliability, the 99-03 7.3L is the most sought after Ford (actually International T-444E) diesel engine. Despite what was posted in an earlier post, the 99-03 7.3L is easy to work on, parts are easy to find, and they can be easily and reliably modified for increased HP, torque and MPG.

We have 3 1-ton Fords... (1) an "early" 99 F-350 crew cab dually 7.3L with about 200k miles (original injectors, glow plugs, turbo, etc.) that still drives almost lie new. (2) 2000 F-350 crew cab SRW 7.3L with only 60k miles (yeah... it's the "Sunday go to meeting" truck... ) (3) 2005 Excessive... I mean Excursion... with 6.0L and almost 175K miles. The 6.0L has had to have more maintenance than the other two combined, but still hasn't had the problems we had with the 2003 Excessive (6.0L).

I would caution you about diesels if you want to plow. Most of the plow websites won't configure one to a 1 ton with diesel. It places too much weight on the front axle.

My vote for a "work truck" is 99-03 7.3L....

Back