Face Boring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5shot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic? I am no logger, but have a little clearing to do on some property and have been reading Dent's book. I don't ever plan on using the technique (I will call someone for any "Trouble" trees), but just don't quite get the diagram.

I guess what I don't really understand is what elevation is the face boring cut made?

Thanks,

John

It should be level with or slightly higher than you back cut. You don't want the tip of your bar caught in the severed middle post of wood as the tree tips over.

Don't.
Boring and felling is not like baking a cake from a recipe book. Dent's book is good to a point for the idea of felling. You can't hold the book in one hand or nail it to the tree, then bore away :buttkick: :buttkick: .
Get behind a logger doing it. Watch, ask questions, try it with techniques with some training behind you. Look for a CPL or Game of Logging course, then take it.
Think of the chainsaw as the firearm of tools.

Thanks for the advice -

I didn't have any plans of tackling any thing that isn't straight forward. My dad and I have done a fair share of felling with smaller trees requiring nothing other than a face and back cut, and that is the way I plan to keep it.

Anything large or that requires a special technique will be left to the pros.

Last edited:
If you take a Game of Logging course, you will definitely learn to bore cut.

It IS better if someone experienced shows you how to do it. But if you're experienced with a saw and want to try it I would say practice on a stump and NOT when felling an actual tree until you get used to it.

Remember at all times-bottom of tip=attack corner(used to start cut)

top of tip=KICKBACK corner (ouchy-please don't use):greenchainsaw:

There is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, and to fell trees. Good idea to take a class, some of the best money I've spent.

Latest posts

Back