Fail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I couldn't find the original thread. Got pictures of the stump today:

Image of a 28" bar stamped into the stump.

stamped_zps026ef935.jpg

Image of the stump. Sure does show why I got that bar stuck.

stump_zpsb7f9de96.jpg

This was one stem of a two-stemmer. I had to do my felling cut just above head level. Plan was to plunge cut the undercut then again to free the wedge. Should have looked like a Humboldt if it had succeeded. Tree settled just before the sloping cut was finished. Went back the next day and cut above it, dropped cleanly. I had to cut higher than would benormal to be sure to miss the trapped bar.

I haven't tried the 28" bar yet but will be soon. Quick check showed no pinched rails, bends, etc.

Harry K

Stump shows the mistake. I started the plunge cut WAY too deep in the tree, 1/4 the diameter would have been best.

Harry K

That's a pretty cool stamp mark. You should cut that piece out and varnish it for a coffee table discussion piece.

I once ripped a pretty good sized nail in half when bucking a yard tree, and have a cool pic of it somewhere.

Anybody that has done much cutting has had one of those "crap, I stayed too long" moments. Nice rivet brand.

Latest posts

Back