Failing at my 3 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at some point I decided I didn't need one of every size saw, I needed 2 of every size saw...
then I realized that having 2 of a main saw, and a couple others for the odd ball (read huge timber) would be more then sufficient...

I trip a lot less getting in and out of the shed now

at some point I decided I didn't need one of every size saw, I needed 2 of every size saw...
then I realized that having 2 of a main saw, and a couple others for the odd ball (read huge timber) would be more then sufficient...

I trip a lot less getting in and out of the shed now
Yeah for some reason i like have 70cc and up saws.Beside my top handles for climbing. Definitely dont need to 066s or 44 and 46

Yeah for some reason i like have 70cc and up saws.Beside my top handles for climbing. Definitely dont need to 066s or 44 and 46
yeah yeah lol
pair of 461's (that someday will be replaced with 500i's) are my bread and butter saws, I have a 661 it mostly stays home, and an 084 for the really fun stuff, but most times I make do with the 461's
Other then that I have a handful of 036/360 basket case saws that live in the trucks, cause... reasons... (Self loading log truck, and dumB truck... "loggers" are dumb, having my own saw on hand has saved my ass more then once)
I don't climb anymore, so the top handle that got stolen a few weeks ago likely won't get replaced, as it was I've owned 6? years its still got the original chain on it, never been sharpened lol (i didn't climb much to begin with)

I've always been a fan of redundancy/back-up saws. For me, it's having at least 2 climbing saws and 2 70ish cc saws. Climbing saws live a hard life, never know when you're going to need the back up. My current 2 top handles are a 2511 and a 201.

As far as the falling saws, I ended up taking that to the extreme. I started out with a 372xpw and an 066. I usually used the 372, so I eventually acquired a couple of basket case 044s that I rebuilt/modded. Carpal Tunnel syndrome and rubber AV Stihls don't mix too well, so I eventually acquired a 400 and a 500i. The 400 and 500i became my go-to rear handle saws...I ported the 400, upgraded the oiler, and put a wrap handle on it, so it comfortably runs a 28" lwb. The 500i generally runs a 32"...so they can do each other's job, but are different enough to choose one over the other for a specific job.

I've got a few others, an 881, 550xp, 365 special(the other toolbox saw,) and a few others. I finally sold one of the 044s, so I think I'm down to 11 running saws.

I'm always doing small jobs near a vehicle so backup saws are very handy - if the main saw gets pinched, breaks down, or needs sharpening.

Back